Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2006 GS - Where is the Oil Filter

Old 09-24-06, 12:50 AM   #1
minnister
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Cool 2006 GS - Where is the Oil Filter

Does anyone know where the oil filter is?

I'm trying to my own oil change, but can't find the oil filter.

Thanks

This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 09-24-06, 12:24 PM   #2
AlterZgo
Driver

Does your car come w/ an owner's manual that has the procedures for routine maintenance? Every car I've owned has had this. Although Lexus is an upscale brand, I'm sure the owner's manual would still have this info.
AlterZgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-06, 07:03 PM   #3
minnister
Driver

It did come with a manual, but it's not detailed like an instructional manual book. It just says which type of oil to use, but doesn't say anything about the location of the oil filter.

Another member had PM'ed me and said that it's under the car and I need to remove the rock guards. I'll check it out and see if I can find it. Worst comes to worst, I have to take it to the dealer and pay their fees.

Old 09-24-06, 07:14 PM   #4
SGT
Weekend Warrior

Send a message via AIM to SGT

I'd like to know this info as well. Please share anything you can find out.
2006 GS300 AWD . Blue Onyx Pearl/Black . 18" Tourmalines . Continental ContiExtremeContact . Tanabe NF210 . Xtreme 3000k HID Fog Lights . LED Parking Lights . VAIS SLI . Madico 35% Tint . 3M Clear Bra . K&N Air Filter . V1
SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-06, 07:34 PM   #5
HotShotEng
Pole Position

The following might help: http://clublexus.com/forums/showthre...oil+filter+tpe

2006 GS430: Blue Onyx Pearl w/ Cashmere Leather Trim and Golden Birdís-Eye Maple Accent, Fully Loaded, G-Spider Wheels, Clear Bra, Armored Protection Ext/Int, HID Fog Lights
HotShotEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-06, 01:21 AM   #6
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Maybe I am wrong here, but the oil changes for the GS350 should be the same procedures as the ES350 and the RX350, correct? They are all basically the same engine...
SilverSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-06, 06:54 AM   #7
Tammy
Lexus Champion

I believe the 3.5 liter engines hold 6.7 quarts, the oil filter length may be different.

The proceedure for changing should be the same.

(Thanks for the correction below on the oil amount !)

Last edited by Tammy; 09-29-06 at 10:03 AM..
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-06, 08:05 PM   #8
kb2yza
Pole Position

Send a message via AIM to kb2yza

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKing View Post
Its shows for the GS350 6.7 quarts which is strange because you would think a bigger engine needs more oil and the GS300 at 6.8 quarts.
My Guess is same block bigger bore less room for the oil. But that is only a guess.
Nice write up on the oil change by the way
-Pete

2006 GS300 AWD - Flint Mica - Black Leather
2000 RX300 AWD - Black Onyx - Ivory Leather - SOLD
kb2yza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-06, 02:51 AM   #9
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKing View Post
Here is the deal for the GS300 there is a Door on the pannel that is in under the drivers side wheel it has one screw you take out and 1 pin you pop out with a screw driver and then the door will swing open and allow access to the the fillter. The door never comes off it sweeps open. Then you just use a pipe wrench or might be able to do it with your hands. Don't worry about taking off the drain plug on the filter it is just a waste of time just make sure you put lots of towels down because when you twist it off there will be some oil in the cansiter if you don't use the drain plug. None of the tech ever use the drain plug and to me it's just another place that can leak, so why lossen it. Anyway once you unscrew the filter cansister the paper filter will be in it and then you just pull it out and throw the paper filter out and remove the big o ring and wipe all the whole canster clean and then put the new o ring on and grease it with some oil to make a good seal. Then simply just put the new paper filter in the cansister and screw it back in. Once that is done you can pour your oil in. The GS300AWD holds 6.8 Qts so put 61/2 in and then just keep checking. The techs just put in 7 but thats totally up to you. Then start it and let it warm up and then check for leaks and then your done. All you got to do is close the trap door. Replace the pin and the screw. It is a really nice way lexus has done it with this trap door. Now the tech have told me they have seen some early production GS300 that don't have this easy trap door and that then you have to remove 4 screws. I never saw it and my car was made is JAN06. I wish I had taked pictures but there is a IS350 topic called oil stuff and you will see pictures in that one.
If anyone has access to the Toyota site if they look up the service manual for the GS350 it shows the trap door that is on some of the 06 models. Now if you look up the GS300 on there you will see it shows the old pannel. Its shows for the GS350 6.7 quarts which is strange because you would think a bigger engine needs more oil and the GS300 at 6.8 quarts.
Thanks, VikingKing. I snooped around in the IS forum, and found the thread you referenced with the filter and trap door.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/225619-oil-change-stuff.html

Cheers everyone!
SilverSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-06, 08:04 AM   #10
minnister
Driver

Default Where can I get the new O ring and paper filter

Is this something that I can buy at a local auto-parts store or Toytoa dealer? I know if I go to the Lexus dealer, they'll charge their normal 500% marked up price.

Last weekend, I changed the oil. I wasn't able to find the oil filter, so just poured in new oil and now I'm noticing that my miles per gallon has dropped. Do you know if it's due to the oil filter?

Thanks for your help on all this
Old 09-30-06, 03:35 PM   #11
minnister
Driver

Default Thank you for your help Viking !!!

Thanks for your great information. I'll definitely check out the link that you had suggested.

Thank you!
Old 10-01-06, 12:07 AM   #12
vandit23
Driver

So we can't use conventional filters for the car...Where can one purchase some filters? Also, is Toyota/Lexus the only ones that make such filter, or does mobil 1 or other companies make them, as well?
vandit23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-06, 01:28 AM   #13
vandit23
Driver

One more thing...Are the filters for the 06 GS300 and the 07 GS350 same? Thanks
vandit23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 01:54 PM   #14
LexVoitek
Driver School Candidate

provenhelper provenhelper provenhelper

Thought this video might help some of you DIY guys and gals?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQlgWu5F3-0
LexVoitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 02:42 PM   #15
worker
Lexus Champion

^ My V6 Camry was like that too. I didn't bother with the plug thing. Just remove the filter and change it. Leave everything else the way it was. Just change the filter element and the big gasket.

Anyway, my GS430 the filter is inside. There is a big plastic cover under that I have to remove before I could see the filter canister.
worker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 02:42 PM