GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

CHEAP center console plastic squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 01:49 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CHEAP center console plastic squeaks

so, summer has been relatively brutal in So Cal with the heat waves and all. the plastics inside the car have been taking a beating all summer, expanding and contracting.

the sliding center console LID is made up of some cheap@ss plastic and covered in a matching leather top. the plastic now squeaks when any pressure is applied to the lid - that includes when you get into the car and sort of position yourself in the seat which sometimes people will do with there arm on the center console lid. the slightest of pressure causes it to squeak. we usually drive around with one arm on the center console (that's what it's there for, right?), but recently i find myself telling the hubby to keep his arms off of there b/c i can't stand the squeaking on it anymore. it's pretty damn embarrassing to have passengers in there and the $58k car is so silky smooth and quiet and rattle free, and then the second there is pressure on the center console, SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK

does anyone else have this problem? and if so, what did you do about it? i thought of trying to insulate it somehow, but after looking at the design, i am 99% certain it's the flexing of the plastic, and there is nothing to insulate in that situation.

here's some backgroud:

- car delivered in March 05, about 1.5 years old, 18k miles on ODO
- squeak appeared probably in July 2006
- we don't abuse the center console, just rest our arms there
- car is parked outdoors during the day for work, then garaged at night
- windows are tinted and sunshade is closed 99% of the time

please help! TIA
Old 08-28-06, 03:36 PM
Firstlps
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My console has also started to sweak and I only have 5000 miles on it.
So when you find and answer let me know.
Old 08-28-06, 04:18 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just take it to the dealer and see if they can fix it.
Old 08-28-06, 04:35 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No center console squeaks on my GS, but it is garaged 99% of the time (underground garage at work and home garage at night).

But I do have other noticable squeaks from the dash area and the rear shelf. At first it bugged me, but now I just drive with the radio volume up.

As much as I like my GS, I can't wait to either get into a GS460 or LS460 in the future...assuming all the first year bugs have been worked out.
Old 08-28-06, 10:29 PM
carminesc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same problem, but it doesn't really bother me much and honestly it's not that loud at all. maybe mine is just not as bad.
Old 08-30-06, 06:48 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pinpoint the problem, if its flexing of the plastic then its rubbing up against the neigboring part(s), take the thing apart (if you're confident enough) and put some tape between the plastic pieces. That way the parts can flex and move against eachother without the plastic on plastic squeek.

Good luck.
Old 08-31-06, 05:02 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like previous posts, isolate the point of noise and if it's between two flat pieces and there's a fair amount of space between the two, then slide a felt adhesive on one of the sides. The type that is used for putting on monitor surfaces to slide easy. You can find it at Lowes or any hardware store. If the problem is at a pivot point, then get a silicon spray to ease the squeek. Be careful not to spray too much, a little goes a long way. Works better than WD40 for plastics, especially interior.
Old 08-31-06, 09:58 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the advice everyone.

the problem is that, as far as i can tell, it's not a contact problem. no plastic on plastic rubbing. it literally is the plastic material flexing. it's not the best grade plastic, and i noticed the plastic is much thinner and brittle-feeling compared the old GS and plastics in the RX/SC i have. literally if you open the lid, and you just put one hand on the left and one hand on the right and mimick a very slight twisting motion, the thing will creak/squeak.

i think it is the degradation of the plastic after being baked in the car so long. i'm going to try to get the dealer to replace the whole lid at the next service interval, but even then, if they haven't changed the material, it will only be a matter of time before it starts to squeak again...
Old 08-31-06, 10:07 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ugh, the actual plastic piece warping? I don't think a piece of plastic by itself just flexing is going to create a squeek, or any noise. I'm sure it must be a joint or contact noise. Anyway, whatever it is, the problem is there so the dealer should replace the part if possible.

Good luck...
Old 09-14-06, 06:22 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Squeaking Armrest

My GS's arm rest is now also squeaking when pressure is applied. My car is in the garage most of the time, not in the hot sun. I'm taking the car to the dealer next week and I'll post again if they resolve this. Maybe the arm rest needs to be replaced? After all, the leather seems loose or stretched on it too.