GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tips, Tricks, DIY's, & How-To's

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-06, 01:52 AM
Balnk
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this thread is getting too long. People dont post correctly
and now are getting lost in the converstation.

Sticky's should be made for each of the "Tricks" and let everyone
talk about them in seperate threads.
Old 12-07-06, 11:38 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

joe, you mean to change destination while driving? that's the "soft nav"?
If so, mine works fine on my 450h.
Old 12-08-06, 11:31 PM
JetAir450h
Driver School Candidate

Jace, I think Joe means that he cannot punch in a destination while driving in his 450h. I have the same problem. I followed the steps of going to the Volume screen and pressing the the left corners. Just got my 450h 3 weeks ago and no luck with mine too. I hear that the 450h has the same Navi as the IS350 which a friend of mine has. Joe, I had an '04 Acura TL, that is one feature I miss.
Old 12-09-06, 08:19 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm. No idea why it doesn't work. Try holding the last btm corner longer. till it beeps.
then if you are brought to the next screen hold the override till it turns blue.
It works on mine just fine and I've only had mine for about 1 month.
All I can suggest is that you aren't holding each corner long enough and the last one hold for 3 seconds.
See if this helps?
There should be no reason why lexus whould take this away as it is a mechanics way to change settings in the car. It's meant for lexus mechs.
Let me know if you have any luck. If not sorry. I agree it's a hastle if you can't even have a passenger adjust. Glad mine works. p

Last edited by Jace7; 12-09-06 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-09-06, 08:46 PM
spiff72
Driver School Candidate

Could you have the 6.1 version of the NAV DVD? The 6.1 Nav DVD seems to have removed the service screen that you are talking about. (I have an 07 Camry, but they seem to use the same Nav DVDs. There has been extensive conversation in this thread about this (and how a hybrid 5.1/6.1 DVD can be made that gives you the new maps, but still allows the service menu to be accessed.
Old 12-11-06, 04:05 PM
JetAir450h
Driver School Candidate

Default Version 06.1 on 450h

Well, I tried a handfull of times pressing the top and btm corners of the volume screen, even slower than before. Still no work. Also verified that the DVD version is 06.1. Dont know if that is the reason. Really wish I could buddy a technician at the Lexus Service. Also tried the other short cuts, and no luck. I'll have to keep trying. Thanks.
Old 12-11-06, 04:15 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JetAir450h
Well, I tried a handfull of times pressing the top and btm corners of the volume screen, even slower than before. Still no work. Also verified that the DVD version is 06.1. Dont know if that is the reason. Really wish I could buddy a technician at the Lexus Service. Also tried the other short cuts, and no luck. I'll have to keep trying. Thanks.
Well there you go, v6.1 effectively kills the navigation override. So far nobody has found a way around it besides making a hybrid disc using the old v5.1 software and new v6.1 map data.
Old 12-11-06, 11:41 PM
Sonartech
Rookie

Originally Posted by SGT
Well there you go, v6.1 effectively kills the navigation override. So far nobody has found a way around it besides making a hybrid disc using the old v5.1 software and new v6.1 map data.
Yep. I've spent probably 5 hours total mashing various combinations of corners, centers and middles trying to coax the elusive menu out of hiding. No luck, but I still firmly believe it's there somewhere. I also think that Lexus service personnel may not yet know where the menu lives... I know a guy who works there and he's pretty square with me. He showed me the older menu without prompting and also told me how he learned about it - in training. Not from a paper publication or document. He also said that he hadn't seen or heard anything about the whereabouts of the new v6.1 menu... They might not have been told yet...

On a similar note, I put my original v6.1 DVD back in my wife's car (that I previously had manually reverted back to v5.1 firmware using a hybrid disc) and it INSTANTLY sucked the v6.1 firmware off the disc all by itself. That verifies that LOADING.KWI is in fact the only file that gets examined on boot for auto-upgrade, and it also proves that the software DOES automatically update itself to a newer version of firmware given the opportunity.

That means something else, too. Assuming these KWI files aren't checksummed at some level, it could be possible to up-rev the version number of a v5.1 firmware to, say, v6.2 and fool the Nav system into loading it as an update. This would easily allow people to re-enable "Over Ride" without cutting power to the Nav system. Unfortunately, people would still have to make a hybrid DL-DVDR on which to place the modified firmware...

...assuming it's not check-summed and the version number is not encrypted somewhere in the KWI.

SonarTech
Old 12-12-06, 06:05 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Default VAIS Technology SoundLinQ SLI iPod Adapter Install Guide

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=253626
Old 12-12-06, 06:53 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonartech
That means something else, too. Assuming these KWI files aren't checksummed at some level, it could be possible to up-rev the version number of a v5.1 firmware to, say, v6.2 and fool the Nav system into loading it as an update. This would easily allow people to re-enable "Over Ride" without cutting power to the Nav system. Unfortunately, people would still have to make a hybrid DL-DVDR on which to place the modified firmware...

...assuming it's not check-summed and the version number is not encrypted somewhere in the KWI.

SonarTech
I agree, the override/loading menu is still accessible, somehow... time will provide us an answer hopefully...

As far as what you have written above, about tricking the nav into loading old firmware, I thought about that too... I don't think it's check-summed (I don't give Denso that much credit) but I do think that the version check is more than a simple byte check. However, the only way I can think of to attempt this, would be to scan the file and change all the firmware version numbers (from V1550 to V1650 or whatever) that we can find and see if it works. Otherwise, if it's in the code, we'd probably have better luck searching for the key sequence that takes us into the override menu by comparing the V5.1 and V6.1 loading.kwi files.

On another note, it appears that any loading.kwi from any toyota or Lexus car is mostly compatible with any other car. All of the commands for climate control, etc, are in there... the reason I say this is because I've seen the camry hybrid nav loading.kwi and the Lexus IS loading.kwi interchanged and all functions were retained. So, denso really just has one "master" loading.kwi I believe, with some modules they may tack on for various platforms... I'd have to spend more time and get a hold of more loading.kwi files to further examine this theory though...
Old 12-13-06, 09:31 PM
GryPhantom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Now, you need to kill VSS going to the multidisplay, but you still need VSS to the Nav system. Take the violet wire that used to go from the wiring harness into the K46 Pin 14 connector and put your switch on that wire. Terminate the remaining end. Then connect the other side of the switch to to the white/black (white/grey in my car) wire that goes IN to h1 Pin 16. Again, terminate the remaining end (the end going into the display connector). Sounds a little confusing but basically this step is jumpering the two wires coming from the car with a switch in the middle and terminating the two ends coming from the display. This will switch VSS on & off to the Nav system but will leave the Multi-Display without a SPD signal.

What I found is that if you cut or remove only the VSS wire from k46 and ground the PKB wire, you can watch DVDs while in motion and dial the phone but you lose turn by turn guidance, GPS accuracy and the nav screen will not scroll smoothly. With the h1 switch mod, it operates as described above AND you can enter nav destinations while in motion. However, when you flip the switch, you can no longer enter nav destinations BUT you you regain turn by turn guidance, GPS accuracy, and smooth scrolling. Yes, it sucks but it works.

Couldn't have done the mod without all of the help from Sonartech! He is the Lexus electrical guru!!!!! Remember kids, don't try this at home.
I am want to do this mod. However, I want to reconfirm what I need exactly do. I have 07 GS350 with Navigation only. I do not have the ML, so i can not play movies. However, i am looking to add some video conponent or some sorts. Hopely, I get a Video Ipod for christmas. I think i will get one. So thereofore i ordered myself a vaistech SLI already. Keke. Thats why once i open up my car dash, i want to get all this hack out of the way.

I studied and read many times, how this procedure is done. However, i have some questions.

Mods I need:
1)I want telephone and navigation access while in motion.
2)Once i install my Vaistech SLI, i want to navigate through the tracks while in motion too.

Well this is what i am understanding so far what i need to do. If someone has any input, please let me know.

Step 1: Take the dash out. Of course this is mandatory.
Step 2: Cut the Yellow wire (PKB wire on K46 (pin 23)) and ground it. (I don't think i need this since I will not need the DVD player to work while I am in motion) Or do I????
Step 3: Cut the Violet wire (SPD/VSS wire on K46 (pin 14)). Instead of cutting the wire, can i pull the wire out of the harness and buy a addition male or female pin to snap the wire together. This way i can always put everything how its was originally.
Step 4: Cut the White and Grey wire (SPD/VSS wire on k1 (pin 16)). Same goes for this step. I don't want to cut this wire. I want to pull it from the harness and add a pin.
Step 5: Add switch from Violet Wire SPD/VSS wire on K46 (pin 14) and White and Grey SPD/VSS wire on k1 (pin 16).
Step 6: Walla! Put everything together and your finished.

Again, I want to emphasize on the cutting the wire. I saw on someone's post the tool and the pins to this type of wiring. I want to pre-fab the wire before i open it up. This way it will look clean and non-modified. I don't want any static from the Lexus dealer when i take it for a service.

Oh Yeah, I saw this on someone's post. How come I don't see one for a GS.
http://www.coastaletech.com/DELUXE_LOCKPICK.htm
I buy this instantly. I don't have to mod anything at all. It's plug and play. However, no integrated ipod controller. They do but it needs a remote controller. Why have remote when it can get integrated with Vaistech SLI.

Last edited by GryPhantom; 12-13-06 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-14-06, 05:22 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GryPhantom
Oh Yeah, I saw this on someone's post. How come I don't see one for a GS.
http://www.coastaletech.com/DELUXE_LOCKPICK.htm
I buy this instantly. I don't have to mod anything at all. It's plug and play. However, no integrated ipod controller. They do but it needs a remote controller. Why have remote when it can get integrated with Vaistech SLI.
They said there's one coming out soon for the 3GS.
Old 12-14-06, 05:34 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT
They said there's one coming out soon for the 3GS.
Did you email them to get confirmation of this? I've never been able to get any response from them on upcoming models or release dates...
Old 12-14-06, 08:24 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Technique
Did you email them to get confirmation of this? I've never been able to get any response from them on upcoming models or release dates...
Nope, never emailed them but on their homepage, it says,

"We will have several new options available for the TOYOTA/LEXUS LOCKPICK. This will include the 2006-2007 Prius, the 2006 GS300/430 and the 2007 RX350 in the LOCKPICK applications. The shopping cart will be updated soon to include these vehicles."

I heard they're horrible about getting back to people via email.
Old 12-15-06, 06:05 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

sgt- you have in your sig a 5-led parking lights aren't those stock? If not, what do they look like?

Quick Reply: Tips, Tricks, DIY's, & How-To's