GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-12-14, 04:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Official 3rd Gen GS Modification Thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 05:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

can someone explain why its not advised to stagger wheels with an AWD car. Not clear as to why. Also why ( other than ride height ) cant you use the rwd springs on an awd
Old 02-13-08, 06:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the gs awd and rwd have different front suspension setup. that's why springs for rwd are not recommended. some people fit it, but manufacturers don't recommend

awd system distribute power to all 4 wheels instead of just to rear wheels. if the front/rear diameters are off, then the system might think it's slipping or so and change the power distributions. so if you have an "off" system, the system is constantly working trying to "redistribute" the power, overworking the system or triggering the traction control. that's why maintaining close overall diameter is the key.

some people (and shops) are afraid to deal with staggered on awd, afraid that the awd system would go whack and they would be responsible, etc.... but fact is if done right, it's ok. look at all the audio awd with staggered setup

Last edited by rominl; 02-13-08 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-13-08, 06:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks rominl for the knowledgable explanation
Old 02-14-08, 10:00 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
Thanks Shawn,

It looks as if the GS is also lowered, but as I recall from another post, it gets vibration upon acceleration. Is that true, was that remedied?
It is lowered and the vibration has not been remedied just yet. It is not at initial accel though. It mainly occurs in the 60-80mph and getting up to speed on the hwy from what I experienced when I drove it. He is trying to work with Tanabe about using his car as a tester for some AWD springs they hope to R&D.
*crosses fingers*
Old 02-14-08, 10:50 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnD
It is lowered and the vibration has not been remedied just yet. It is not at initial accel though. It mainly occurs in the 60-80mph and getting up to speed on the hwy from what I experienced when I drove it. He is trying to work with Tanabe about using his car as a tester for some AWD springs they hope to R&D.
*crosses fingers*
Certainly keep me posted, as I would like a similar set up to your friends, but to be honest, I would much rather not do with the vibration headaches.

Thanks
Old 02-14-08, 12:35 PM
weilunc5
Driver School Candidate

noticed some of you have/had bimmer. Do you guys think that in manual mode up/down shift arrangement is just opposite to that of your GS is annoying?
Have you ever considered making a swap mod?
Old 02-14-08, 12:46 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by weilunc5
noticed some of you have/had bimmer. Do you guys think that in manual mode up/down shift arrangement is just opposite to that of your GS is annoying?
Have you ever considered making a swap mod?
bmw used to have the exact same set up as the G before, through enough complaints, they changed it to the opposite (downshift foward, upshift downward)

i think that happened in 2003 if i remember correctly.

doesn't bother me at all, just something that I can easily get used to.
Old 02-14-08, 01:18 PM
weilunc5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whlkev
bmw used to have the exact same set up as the G before, through enough complaints, they changed it to the opposite (downshift foward, upshift downward)

i think that happened in 2003 if i remember correctly.

doesn't bother me at all, just something that I can easily get used to.
it's been 20 years driving cars with stick shift. I personally found the opposite arrangement (down-shift forward, up-shift backward) MUCH more intuitive.
Now with my new G, I usually have to spend 1 extra second to make sure not to accidentally down shift and redline my engine.
I'd either abandon G's sequential shifting or do a quickest mod onto my mind....
Old 02-14-08, 01:24 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i don't even want to bother with the manual shifting sometimes, 460 has 8 speed, takes too much of my attention away when trying to manually shift all those gears.. hehe
Old 02-14-08, 02:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i don't know how hard on the lexus, but on my old acura tl-s, all you need is to switch the connectors on the shifter (underneath)
Old 02-14-08, 02:57 PM
weilunc5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't know how hard on the lexus, but on my old acura tl-s, all you need is to switch the connectors on the shifter (underneath)
thx bro!
that's what I thought, but any confirmation from GS owners will definitely help.
Since I have done the DVD bypass mod, will try again to take a look what's underneath the shifter.
Old 02-14-08, 03:00 PM
weilunc5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whlkev
i don't even want to bother with the manual shifting sometimes, 460 has 8 speed, takes too much of my attention away when trying to manually shift all those gears.. hehe
man, don't you have the bragging right.
i wish that 2 extra gears were on my 350.
Old 02-15-08, 06:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

sequential shifting should be left for race cars. They set it up that way to work with the dynamics of the car when accelerating or braking. Thus down gear is pushing forward bec you are braking or slowing usually when shifting into lower gear. Under acceleration the weight will shift towards the rear of the car therefore to shift up you will pull the lever back. Its to racey for the GS. My friends M6 is a pain in the *** to drive bec Im so used to my street set up. That car is set up like a damn race car
Old 02-17-08, 09:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by reggiek
Whats the story on this GS?
Old 02-18-08, 06:33 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Whats the story on this GS?
I dunno.....saw it on the HRE site and thought it would look okay in this thread. Certainly looks the part.

Quick Reply: Official 3rd Gen GS Modification Thread!!