GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS430: Looknow's Review.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-05, 02:52 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kph3
Looknow.........I have a 04 GX that I am thinking of trading for a GS300 AWD if I like it. Haven't got to drive the GS yet....will have time next week. Like the GX, but am wanting to get back to a car.

I read your reviews on the GS....(snow and this one). What's your thoughts on the GS being a person's sole drive in winter weather?
I have a GX470 and it is truly unstoppable through the snow, but moreover you can drive it at decent speeds over snow cover roads with assurance. It is very well balanced.

I cannot speak from experience regarding the GS300 AWD and it's traction capabilities. Here on CL everyone we've had some positive feedback. But we are late in the winter season so perhaps more real world examples are needed. I will tell you that the GS is very well balanced front to rear. I think Rockville said it is very close to 50/50 (not exactly). I recognized that when driving around twisty back roads in the last two snow storms here in Connecticut. The GS carried itself very well. It had no bias to the front or rear and would make these turns nicely. I can only suspect the VDIM was an aid for that.

But now on to you. The GS300 AWD should make a great sole winter vehicle as long as you remember its limits. I believe you'll be limited with big snow storms where ground clearance is an issue. The GX will offer around lots of ground clearance, off road capabilities, lots of cargo space, towing, 8 seats, and an amazing authority over or off the road.

The GS300AWD will do fine for on road, light snow applications. I suspect any storm under 6" you should be fine. If you're in areas where they don't plow very regularly (Virginia is one culprit) than the GS might not be for you. On the flipside, if you live in Vermont, you might get too much snow to warrant an AWD sedan. If you're definitely set on a sedan, go for the GS300 AWD.
Old 03-21-05, 02:56 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KevinGS
LMAO, Looknow. I love this part of your write-up.

Great review, by the way. Thanks for all the info.

I assume you owned a second gen Lexus430. If so, does the new GS really seem quicker than the old 2nd gen one? If so, it probably has alot to do with the better transmission in the new one than the old one.

But I am just curious to hear your comparisons.
I did not have the 2nd Gen 430, I had the 2nd Gen 400. I don't remember hearing comparisons between the 400 and the 430 2nd Gen so it might be a slightly flawed comparison.

But between the 2000 GS400 and the 2006 GS430 (wow it's been 6 years ) the 06 feels faster despite how smooth it is. You can drive it agressive, or smoothly using the ECT Power/Normal button. Yes, the 6 speed transmission is amazing, and definitely a big part of it. It feels faster to 60 than my old GS, but moreover, it feels much faster from 60-90.
Old 03-21-05, 08:21 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by looknow12
I did not have the 2nd Gen 430, I had the 2nd Gen 400. I don't remember hearing comparisons between the 400 and the 430 2nd Gen so it might be a slightly flawed comparison.

But between the 2000 GS400 and the 2006 GS430 (wow it's been 6 years ) the 06 feels faster despite how smooth it is. You can drive it agressive, or smoothly using the ECT Power/Normal button. Yes, the 6 speed transmission is amazing, and definitely a big part of it. It feels faster to 60 than my old GS, but moreover, it feels much faster from 60-90.
Cool, thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-21-05, 01:08 PM
kph3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the insight.
Old 05-03-05, 06:23 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Default GS430 Review Revisited

It's been nearly 2 months since this review came out and I thought it would be a good idea to add some additional thoughts and comments now that we've been driving our new GS for a while.

- I get a lot more looks. The GS is a head turner. Up here in CT it is all BMW and MB, and the GS seems to be grabbing a lot of their attention.
- Ride has begun to improve with the warmer weather. I still wouldn't suggest run flats.
- I don't like the door lock/unlock button location it is out of the way and hard to reach.
- Drop down pod with buttons is a nice idea, but when I need a button like for fuel it gets in the way. many times I hit it getting out of the car. Fuel and trunk should have placed on floor I believe.
- What is below the tail lamp? Is that some sort of camera or sensor? I know it's not the backup camera, but it looks like a camera.
- Head and tail lamps have an amazing look at night. Nothing shares this look that I've seen.
- Transmission hunts for the 6th gear too often at speeds of 35-45mph.. feels like a lead weight. Many times I will shift into manual to keep the gear at 5th
- The GS feels very confident on wet roads even during heavy ran.
- Able to detect small adjustments by VDIM. I've found the VDIM to be very effective.
- Spring time here so I've been using that air filtration button with the hopes of removing as many allergens as possible out of the cabin.
- Rain sensing wipers seemed wierd the other night. They weren't fast enough on the most sensitive setting. Next rain storm I will keep an eye on it.
- DVD Player and Digital Surround sound is amazing. I frequently watch things like Star Trek movies and the special effects and sounds go together in harmony. Ships moving in and out of the screen really feel like they're moving by you. At the end of nearly every Trek movie there is also an amazing music composition which must have at least 14 different instruments. The ML sound system brings to life each and every one.
- Navigation System is amazing. I'm begining to use the voice guidance more and more. It works better than my GX (Gen3).
- Ventilated seats are very effective. I cool mode there is a low fan sound which is noticeable when at idle.
- Could use a bigger gas tank. Seems like I'm filling up often. Getting 18mpg in the city. Not bad for a V8. On the highway, achieving a whopping 25mpg with driving at or about 80mph.
- Don't try to top off the fuel tank, you will spill fuel nearly every time.
- I've set the all of the doors to open when pulling any door other than the drivers. This lets the wife get in. Otherwise I pull the drivers door and only that opens.