GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone else highly dissapointed at Gen3 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-05, 03:32 AM
CJGS4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else highly dissapointed at Gen3 GS?

I hope i'm not the only one, but I had high hopes for the 2006 GS to be an awesome car. Unfortunately, it looks like it's time to move on to a BMW because the GS just doesn't seem to deliver.. Lookswise, it looks like a 2nd gen GS beat with an ugly stick... It doesn't have any more power than the 2nd gen GS, no significantly new technological features, and lastly.. did I mention it's ugly as hell? I'm sad, i was expecting a new barnstormer w/ beautiful lines something like the LF-S concept...
Old 02-22-05, 06:21 AM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CJGS4
I hope i'm not the only one, but I had high hopes for the 2006 GS to be an awesome car. Unfortunately, it looks like it's time to move on to a BMW because the GS just doesn't seem to deliver.. Lookswise, it looks like a 2nd gen GS beat with an ugly stick... It doesn't have any more power than the 2nd gen GS, no significantly new technological features, and lastly.. did I mention it's ugly as hell? I'm sad, i was expecting a new barnstormer w/ beautiful lines something like the LF-S concept...
To each their own. I hope BMW treats you well. But I love it and have on inbound with my name on it. I guess it is a real opinion thing(You know what they say about opinions). I think the new style is fresh and sexy, but that is just me.
Old 02-22-05, 06:59 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by CJGS4
You know what? I said exactly the same thing about the 2nd gen GS when it came out in 1997! Look at those ugly bubble headlights, the back is too big. It looked like somebody took that beautiful first gen GS design and beat it with an ugly stick. Yeah, it was a little mean and aggressive looking from certain angles, but what a mistake!

I got over it.
Old 02-22-05, 07:06 AM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re:

To each their own,

I love the new GS too... I think it's also fresh and sculpted. All in my opinion, the technology is completely up to date for the year 2005 and I think won't become outdated for years. I drove the new Acura RL and they are very comparable in terms of interior technologies. I feel like I'm driving a space shuttle.
Old 02-22-05, 07:29 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

I totally agree. I also did not like the 2nd gen when it came out but here I am owning 2 of them at the end. Its all personal preference.
Old 02-22-05, 08:14 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

I dont see how the interior was that great in the generation 2 GS. Personall, the interior felt like a typical toyota to me. It looked plastic and did not have appeal or much style. The guages were nice. But the center console - major The sportdesign edition was however much different. THAT was a nice car. Perhaps in my opinion, the only reason i liked the Gen 2 was because of the look the sportdesign gave. The different look of the shifter, the black wood on the base of the console...it was VERY attractive. Withouht the sportedition pkg - i was not taken in by the 2nd generation.

This new GS feels as if a sport pkg is already equipped in the vehicle. With the metal and aluminum trim in console - a very sporty agrresive and clean look. Its a very inviting car that screams attitude from all corners of the car, even in the seat design and feel to the guages in this car. everything - VERY NICE!

The styling, especially in the front - gets a 12.0 / 10.0 major major major It has the perfect blend of a fierce, bold thirst for luxury with an extrememly agressive appearance. It looks BEAUTIFUL. The back - i think the spoiler kinda looks weird, but withouht it - it really brings this luxury sport sedan out. Very nice aerodynamic look while still keeping the luxury sedan aura at the same time.
Old 02-22-05, 08:22 AM
Shogun
Driver

Default Partial agreement

Personally - I love the way the new GS looks and I think it will age gracefully over the next 6 years.

Looks aside, I would have a difficult time buying the new GS based on styling alone. I have a 300Hp Lexus that is paid for and I want to spend $50K for another Lexus with 300Hp? No, I don't think so. For me, that equates to a lot of $$$ and/or ego lubricant for simply the benefit of a new "look".

I'm out of the GS market until there is a significant performace advantage over my current GS - I'm guessing 400Hp is going to be the number that motivates me. When the GS came out in 1998 it set a new performance threshold - that's what got me excited about the car. To me, "looks" must be a given to even enter the game. If it looks good, then performance is my next measure. The new GS, with no doubt in my mind is a stunning car, but line up next to an old 400/430 at a stoplight or on the highway and $50K doesn't buy you thing except "looking good". I'm getting to old for that or just maybe the benefits of that $50K are more important elsewhere in my life.

I think Lexus missed a real opportunity to seize upon what they did in '98.

Eric
Old 02-22-05, 08:34 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogun
Personally - I love the way the new GS looks and I think it will age gracefully over the next 6 years.

Looks aside, I would have a difficult time buying the new GS based on styling alone. I have a 300Hp Lexus that is paid for and I want to spend $50K for another Lexus with 300Hp? No, I don't think so. For me, that equates to a lot of $$$ and/or ego lubricant for simply the benefit of a new "look".

I'm out of the GS market until there is a significant performace advantage over my current GS - I'm guessing 400Hp is going to be the number that motivates me. When the GS came out in 1998 it set a new performance threshold - that's what got me excited about the car. To me, "looks" must be a given to even enter the game. If it looks good, then performance is my next measure. The new GS, with no doubt in my mind is a stunning car, but line up next to an old 400/430 at a stoplight or on the highway and $50K doesn't buy you thing except "looking good". I'm getting to old for that or just maybe the benefits of that $50K are more important elsewhere in my life.

Eric
Agreed, but unfortunately we are in the minority. Most Lexus customers will be quite happy with a new look, a little tighter steering, and a few new bells/whistles. Lexus delivered on all of those items.
Old 02-22-05, 09:35 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shogun

Eric
I couldn't agree more. In the styling and lux factor departments, I think Lexus hit a home run. I'll give them a triple for performance with the GS3. However, the performance of the new 430 is not what I expected in a 58k car. Lexus really blew it. I'm sure the power will be fine for those who never owned a 400/430 but for us current 400/430 owners, I'm sure we're all disappointed to some degree with the same 300hp engine. For me, I'm waiting to see what happens with the GS4h and the new IS350.
Old 02-22-05, 09:45 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rheiy
I couldn't agree more. In the styling and lux factor departments, I think Lexus hit a home run. I'll give them a triple for performance with the GS3. However, the performance of the new 430 is not what I expected in a 58k car. Lexus really blew it. I'm sure the power will be fine for those who never owned a 400/430 but for us current 400/430 owners, I'm sure we're all disappointed to some degree with the same 300hp engine. For me, I'm waiting to see what happens with the GS4h and the new IS350.
Lexus has stated that they will follow BMW's suit to redesign a model and to update its engine at different time points, in order to keep the interest in the model high throughout its life cycle.
I guess we just have to get over this business decision. The GS460 and GS450h are coming in a couple of years you know.

As for being disappointed by the new GS, I for one was hugely disappointed by how it looked when it was first released and I shouted out loud that I hated it no matter from which angle I looked. But now I find it beautiful and sexy. My only gripes are that they have reserved some awesome features only for the GS430, not making them even options on the GS300, and that AWD is only available on the GS300. Other than those, I believe the technological advances on the new GS are worthy enough as a next-generation vehicle.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 02-22-05 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-22-05, 09:56 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Lexus has stated that they will follow BMW's suit to redesign a model and to update its engine at different time points, in order to keep the interest in the model high throughout its life cycle.
I guess we just have to get over this business decision. The GS460 and GS450h are coming in a couple of years you know.
Key words "a couple of years". Had Lexus released a 460 or 450h right out of the box, I think they would have hit a grand slam and given the German's something to really worry about. Oh well, just not ment to be. In the meantime, I'll still have fun in my 2nd gen
Old 02-22-05, 10:05 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rheiy
Key words "a couple of years". Had Lexus released a 460 or 450h right out of the box, I think they would have hit a grand slam and given the German's something to really worry about. Oh well, just not ment to be. In the meantime, I'll still have fun in my 2nd gen
Yeah sure but then instead of a steady growth the sales of the new GS will run dry in a couple of years and Lexus will have nothing major and interesting to update the GS with.

You know how business and accounting people like to make their businesses look like it's on a constant growth and not some rollercoaster, big ups-and-downs ride. That's what the business decision is about, unfortunately.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 02-22-05 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-22-05, 10:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Besides, the 450h & 460 engines are not even ready for production yet. I' ve heard the 450h should be available in a year (spring next year) & I won't be surprised when the new LS460 comes out fall 06, the GS460 will be available as well.
Old 02-22-05, 11:23 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Key words "a couple of years". Had Lexus released a 460 or 450h right out of the box, I think they would have hit a grand slam and given the German's something to really worry about.
They wouldn't release the highest engine option first, and then the other lower output engines sometime later. They have to get people to like the car with a lesser engine and then have them move to a more powerful one. But most people (unlike CL members) don't care if a car has 300hp or 315hp. If they see something they like, they buy it regardless.

CL represents only a small majority of Lexus purchasers and I'm sure Toyota isn't worried if we like the car's hp numbers or not.

I also agree with DaveGS4. I thought the 1998 GS had the ugliest rear end on a car. But, I got to like it over the years.
Old 02-22-05, 11:25 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
They wouldn't release the highest engine option first, and then the other lower output engines sometime later. They have to get people to like the car with a lesser engine and then have them move to a more powerful one. But most people (unlike CL members) don't care if a car has 300hp or 315hp. If they see something they like, they buy it regardless.

CL represents only a small majority of Lexus purchasers and I'm sure Toyota isn't worried if we like the car's hp numbers or not.
You hit these points right on the dot.

Quick Reply: Anyone else highly dissapointed at Gen3 GS?