GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone have an idea of what caused THIS!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-15, 11:17 PM
Category5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have an idea of what caused THIS!?

Haha so check it out guys, been having issues with my battery constantly dieing on me, figured it was the battery or alternator, took it by a auto zone to have them just check it for I was to lazy to use my millimeter, anyhow the guy says actually, it's neither your battery or alternator but states your starters bad man, I thought hmm not one symptom of a starter even acting up, mean time thought something somewhere on my car was shorting, (thought maybe my puddle lights but disconnecting did nothing) draining the battery over night, so I had a spare alternator that was also bad but didn't whine and all that like the one I currently had rebuilt also with a different stator as well for just about 140amps So as I was under the car something just told me to roll on back a bit more after I was done to just look around and BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY JAW DROPPEP! SOMETHING MOST CERTAINLY WAS SHORTING OUT TAKE A LOOK!

Those are photo's taken from under the car, feet on the front end end of the car, facing up to?!?!? The starter..........The cable that goes down and around that connects to the battery terminal, the nice big gauge cable that supplies the starter with juice, fried to a crisp. What the hell?????? What or why would this happen? I already got the new wire harness to replace this one as well as a newer starter I had sitting here, but my concern is the obvious! What in the world caused this to burn and melt as it did?! When I remove it I'll post some better pics of it all but obviously SOMETHING has caused this to happen but I don't know... Ive just yet to see this which I find odd.... What's even more mind boggling is how in the world did I not even smell this happening lol... Thank the lord it didn't catch fire or something dam..... Thanks guys toss any theories of what you believe could have caused this as they are all appreciated, I'm confident we can definitely come up with why this has happened let keep just get that starter out so we can also see what it may look like. Thanks guys. OHHHH!!!! AND ONE MORE THING!!!! Now I'm beginning to think my cold start up whining noice that got worse and worse may in fact NOT have been my alternator, but perhaps my starter the whole time.... Not sure because I swear the stetho made it very apparent it was coming from my alternator.
Old 06-29-15, 03:45 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is that? The ground?
Old 06-29-15, 05:22 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

when you short a wire, the wire heats up like crazy and the shielding melts
Old 06-29-15, 05:28 AM
Category5
Driver

Originally Posted by gsean400
What is that? The ground?
Thats the very end connected to the starter your seeing, which the opposite end hooks up to the positive terminal of the battery. I'll get some more pics up shortly
Old 06-30-15, 07:52 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Very lucky that car didn't catch on fire; I'd disconnect that battery until you can get her repaired properly.
Old 07-01-15, 09:46 AM
Category5
Driver

man oh man am I lucky, I dont know how my car isnt ash on the floor, but crazy how it never even brought up one single dam light.... can you believe that? unless the bulbs just out hahaha.... wait till you see this! ill post pics here in a bit k.
Old 07-01-15, 01:28 PM
Category5
Driver

Alright so check it:

Housing gof that hot huh? How's my car still here lol? I'm going to crack this thing open, try and get to the bottom of this....
Old 07-02-15, 08:23 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, you might not get your core charge back on that one. Looks like a massive internal short.
Old 07-02-15, 08:49 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

This is most likely the result of the plunger in the starter solenoid getting stuck on worn out contacts.
Open up the solenoid, 3 small bolts w/ 8mm socket, and see what happened.

I'm glad no serious injuries or damage happened and thanks for taking detailed pics...
Old 07-04-15, 03:10 AM
Category5
Driver

Originally Posted by FrankT
This is most likely the result of the plunger in the starter solenoid getting stuck on worn out contacts.
Open up the solenoid, 3 small bolts w/ 8mm socket, and see what happened.

I'm glad no serious injuries or damage happened and thanks for taking detailed pics...
Hey thanks a lot man yea this could have really ended much differently then it did, Don't even want to begin imagining my car engulfed in flames all because of this.... Let alone people getting hurt... Jeez.... Well I popped her open and hmm, not to sure take a look:

What it looked like when I took off the cap

Now in this photo, I don't know if these wires are in fact supposed to be touching the starters housing but a close look and:

I found that they were in fact melted or tacked to the housing which I don't know.... They supposed to be like that? If not lol.... Well? They look as if they did melt and tack themselves up but hopefully someone can confirm this.

Im also wondering if all the times I jumped this dang car if perhaps I......infact caused this as that is the positive terminal..... Think all the times I left another car attached to my car to charge it up enough to crank it could have also caused all this? <br/>
Old 07-04-15, 06:45 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Worn starter contacts. Ive seen it twice first hand and a number of times on here.

Take a look at the underside of the plunger and you might see a corresponding mark where the contact was made.
For some reason you did not notice the car starter still engaged and at some point the battery only had enough juice to create heat and not crank.

I am so glad you caught this and posted for everyone.
Old 07-06-15, 02:39 PM
Category5
Driver

hmm so odd because my starter has never done anything funny besides one time recently it just clicked, 2nd time started the car though... it def. hasnt done what ive read where it keeps cranking no way perhaps it just didnt make the noise? Anyhow glad its out and hope others get to see it. Well find out soon enough if my new one burns out too, then I got an issue on my hands.... Thanks a lot for your input brother appreciate it.
Old 07-09-15, 07:25 AM
bonesnj0
Rookie

Smile

Looks to me like the Solenoid contacts were so worn down instead of sending juice to the starter it created a dead short.
Old 07-12-15, 12:08 PM
Category5
Driver

Originally Posted by bonesnj0
Looks to me like the Solenoid contacts were so worn down instead of sending juice to the starter it created a dead short.
You I think your dead on the money with that one, glad to have you all chime in, shows how important it really is for us to MAKW sure those contacts are replaced before this happens but what is horrible is that my starter NEVER! BUT MAYBE ONCE! Showed or indicated that it was on it's last days.. It did the click no start, then started up just fine after another turn of the key maybe one time.... So odd
Old 07-13-15, 06:30 AM
bonesnj0
Rookie

On Mine I had the famous clicking noise then after a few tries it would start, I replaced the contacts in the solenoid what a PITA had to take intake manifold off really bad design IMO.

Obviously on yours it never failed to start except the one time it shorted Big Time.

I'm surprised your battery didn't cook.