GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What should I look for when buying a gs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 01:04 PM
Loweredgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I look for when buying a gs?

I'm new to the car scene and in looking for a gs. What should I look for when I'm looking for one?
Old 04-16-15, 01:34 PM
Sanfou510
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always check if they changed the lower ball joints. And of course the regular maintenance. Keep up with the maintainence and these cars will last up to 300k plus easily.
Old 04-16-15, 04:00 PM
Sweetdukes
Driver School Candidate

I'd say buy a bluetooth odb scanner (download the Torque app) & run a scan on the car when you test drive it. It will give the seller the impression you know what you are doing. If anything shows up, you already have something to use as a bargaining chip...that of course depends on how badly you want it.

Drive with the windows down, so you can hear if the ball joints are ok. Check all electricals i.e. headlights, brake lights, indicators, sunroof, door lights, dash lights. Be thorough with your inspection & also bring a friend who has some knowledge in vehicles, so if you miss something, they might be able to point it out for you. Bottomline...if you find things wrong or not working...use it to chip away at the asking price.
Old 04-16-15, 05:30 PM
Toysled
Pit Crew

Check if all doors can lock / unlock since the actuators go out.
If the car has been lowered, check the undercarriage if lower front brace or anything close to the ground is not damaged. (I also saw cars whose previous owners use just about anywhere under the car as a jack point that left large dents especially under the front and rear door area)
See if the owner has all the keys especially the wallet (credit card) spare key which has a chip itself. Also both key fobs since they are pricey to replace/program.
Good luck!!
Old 04-17-15, 05:28 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweetdukes
I'd say buy a bluetooth odb scanner (download the Torque app) & run a scan on the car when you test drive it. It will give the seller the impression you know what you are doing. If anything shows up, you already have something to use as a bargaining chip...that of course depends on how badly you want it.

Drive with the windows down, so you can hear if the ball joints are ok. Check all electricals i.e. headlights, brake lights, indicators, sunroof, door lights, dash lights. Be thorough with your inspection & also bring a friend who has some knowledge in vehicles, so if you miss something, they might be able to point it out for you. Bottomline...if you find things wrong or not working...use it to chip away at the asking price.
I always wondered when I was at auctions what App those people were using to scan the cars. What exactly are they getting? They scan the VIN barcode and what does it tell them? Carfax reports? Pardon my ignorance to this.