GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Do you have a turn signal or foglight switch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-15, 02:01 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Do you have a turn signal or foglight switch problem?

I do. It started out with the fog lights blinking when making turns and the stalk would snap back, then it got to the point where I would have to fiddle with the foglight switch, then they just didn't work unless I held it in just the right spot.

So since I bought a new switch ( 80 - odd dollars) I figured I'd take apart the old one and see what was wrong.

Turns out it's fairly simple - after getting it apart ( vaguely reminiscent of a rubik's cube) it's actually really simple, just bend the spring tabs a bit and you're back in business.

Took me about 1/2 hr the first time but now I could probably do it in 15min.

It tests out fine now with my meter - I'll probably put it back in soon and see. Removing and installing the switch is super easy, about 6 screws - under 10min.

I am going to do the one in my other car so I will take pics and post them..
Old 01-22-15, 07:08 AM
tn96dc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do the wires trace back to from the stalk? Years ago I did the manual on mod for the fog lights and since then I tried to remove it allowing the fogs to only come on while the headlights are on.
Old 01-22-15, 02:35 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, every time I put my blinker on, when I'm done making the turn and the stick returns to its position my lights flicker of then on, I believe just my fogs. I have a spare GS I removed the entire little unit out and just simply swapped out the units, solved the problem.... For about 2 weeks... Now it's back and doing it all over again....

So your saying you found a solution to this? Or?
Old 01-22-15, 02:36 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bend a spring back Huh? I'll take a look if so thanks bud appretiate that.
Old 01-22-15, 06:07 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mhmm. easy fix. also cleaning up the carbon from the contacts helps as well
Old 01-22-15, 07:17 PM
Sphan519
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Bro, i will give this a try. I think the fogs flicker because the high beams come on for a split second when stalk snaps back. The high beams and fogs cannot both be on at the same time
Old 01-23-15, 02:53 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
Yep, every time I put my blinker on, when I'm done making the turn and the stick returns to its position my lights flicker of then on, I believe just my fogs. I have a spare GS I removed the entire little unit out and just simply swapped out the units, solved the problem.... For about 2 weeks... Now it's back and doing it all over again....

So your saying you found a solution to this? Or?
This is the exact problem I have on BOTH of my GS4's.

I will be testing out the fix but it's really obvious what's wrong once you pull it apart.

It's "fiddly" to get apart, but once you open it you can see what is the problem.

Hint: - you have to find the two little "tabs" to release the end cap ( the part that turns the headlights on/off)
Old 01-23-15, 02:55 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tn96dc
Where do the wires trace back to from the stalk? Years ago I did the manual on mod for the fog lights and since then I tried to remove it allowing the fogs to only come on while the headlights are on.
You remove the two tiny phillips screws from the back of the actual stalk, then you can pull the end cap off and see how the rest comes out.

The foglight mod is different and I am still perfecting mine - I want the fog to come on independent of the ignition and hi beams.

Once I get the fogs right I will post that too.
Old 01-23-15, 02:56 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sphan519
Thanks Bro, i will give this a try. I think the fogs flicker because the high beams come on for a split second when stalk snaps back. The high beams and fogs cannot both be on at the same time

No, the fogs flicker because they momentarily lose contact inside the stalk.

I took the whole unit out and hooked my meter up to it, anytime I flicked it the fog wires would lose contact.
Old 01-23-15, 03:45 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

watch out for that spring. i had it shoot out and it took me a bit to find it. haha
Old 01-23-15, 09:56 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by marshun
watch out for that spring. i had it shoot out and it took me a bit to find it. haha
Yeah, I lost the ball - heard where it rolled and still couldn't find it - oh well R/C car parts to the rescue!

I used a diff ball from an HPI Sprint 2!