Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Maintenance Questions

Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #1
SK430
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Maintenance Questions

Did my first visit to a real auto shop today after taking care of my 03 GS430 with 161K miles on it for the last few months on my own and here are all the things they recommend I do because it may have been a long time since the previous owner had done it (bought the car 6 months ago). The total for the below ranges between $550-650 after taxes. They also said I am developing an engine oil leak and need to have the valve cover gasket replaced (which is another $450-500 additional).

- Rear Differential fluid drain and refill
- Brake fluid exchange
- Power steering fluid exchange
- Fuel Induction service

I really would just like to know how to figure out which of the above if not all services I need to do to my Lexus to insure it stays running as well as it does now over the next few years. It guzzles gas so the better it runs the better for my pockets in the long run. I am going through the service records and saw the timing belt (90k) and tranny fluid exchange (160k) were performed already. The most difficult part to figure out is about the engine oil leak - is this a sales move here or is that something legit? I attached some photos the shop provided to show me the leak but I have no idea what to look at.

With that said please let me know if I should invest the money to get the above done - I assume there could be other things that can go wrong but these services are only needed every 30K miles or so and thats going to take me a while to get to. Thanks a lot for reading.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Attached Images

SK430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:41 AM   #2
ThomasGS4
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (19)

Send a message via AIM to ThomasGS4 Send a message via MSN to ThomasGS4

Look to the left of the alternator in the second picture - notice how it's relatively shiny? That's the oil leak.

If it does turn out to be valve cover gaskets, be sure that they replace the spark plug o-rings as well, or else you'll be back in there again in a few years for another set of gaskets.
ThomasGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:41 AM