GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Power steering fluid leaking on alternator

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14, 08:23 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power steering fluid leaking on alternator

Need a new alternator once again.. Just realized my power steering fluid is leaking on the alternator. Just wondering what you guys have done or paid to fix the problem. I was quoted 607$ at a Indy shop. I was told my hoses were fine the pump itself is leaking. My pump works great besides the leak. No noise and is as smooth as butter. is this something I can tackle myself? I do basic maintenance myself. Such as spark plugs, alternator replacement, brakes, oil changes ect.
I would like to stay away from the Lucas PS stop leak unless anyone has a long term success story.. Would it be beneficial for me to try the Lucas since its only leaking and the PS pump is fine?
Old 09-06-14, 04:43 AM
GeorgeGS4
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend staying away from the stop-leak's. They will sometimes "work" and stop the leak, but they tend to cause blockages in other parts of the system. For instance, you put stop-leak in your radiator to stop a leak then the water pump gets clogged and stops working.

The pump is about 1-2 hours to replace. Not too bad, the hardest thing on pumps is usually the swapping of the pulley over to the new unit. If you can do an alternator and plugs, you should be alright.

Secondly, make sure you bleed out the system after replacement. To bleed....

1. Lift the complete front end up and put jack stands underneath so the tires can turn
2. Turn steering wheel from lock to lock
3. Put car on ground
4. Start enging and let idle for a few minutes
5. Turn wheel either left or right to lock position and hold for 2-3 seconds. Then turn other direction and do the same
6. Shut off car
7. Check fluid level. Also, make sure you do not see any bubbles or foaming in reservoir. If you do, drain out and repeat

good luck man
Old 09-06-14, 11:40 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GeorgeGS4
I would recommend staying away from the stop-leak's. They will sometimes "work" and stop the leak, but they tend to cause blockages in other parts of the system. For instance, you put stop-leak in your radiator to stop a leak then the water pump gets clogged and stops working.

The pump is about 1-2 hours to replace. Not too bad, the hardest thing on pumps is usually the swapping of the pulley over to the new unit. If you can do an alternator and plugs, you should be alright.

Secondly, make sure you bleed out the system after replacement. To bleed....

1. Lift the complete front end up and put jack stands underneath so the tires can turn
2. Turn steering wheel from lock to lock
3. Put car on ground
4. Start enging and let idle for a few minutes
5. Turn wheel either left or right to lock position and hold for 2-3 seconds. Then turn other direction and do the same
6. Shut off car
7. Check fluid level. Also, make sure you do not see any bubbles or foaming in reservoir. If you do, drain out and repeat

good luck man
Thanks for the reply. Is there any DIY with pictures I could use? And would I be able to just change a leaky gasket.
Old 09-06-14, 12:10 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

there's a DIY on YouTube from one of members . just search GS400 DiY power steering fluid. it should come up.
Old 09-06-14, 01:41 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
there's a DIY on YouTube from one of members . just search GS400 DiY power steering fluid. it should come up.
Is there any DIY on how to remove the pump? Where should I buy the pump?
Old 09-06-14, 01:47 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by gsean400
Is there any DIY on how to remove the pump? Where should I buy the pump?
not really sure, you could try member Aliga, junk yard, ebay, Napa, Autozone, etc......
Old 09-06-14, 01:58 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Try rockauto for a remanufactured one
Old 09-06-14, 03:21 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Before you buy a pump, check the air control valve on the pump, that is frequently what's leaking and would not be included with most or all pumps from what I've read.
Old 09-06-14, 05:29 PM
bonesnj0
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you buy a pump, check the air control valve on the pump- DITO!
I used a plug and plugged the hole and lines no more leak!
Look at pump see if it is leaking at the shaft chanes are pretty good its not and is the control valve.
Old 09-06-14, 10:56 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Before you buy a pump, check the air control valve on the pump, that is frequently what's leaking and would not be included with most or all pumps from what I've read.
Originally Posted by bonesnj0
Before you buy a pump, check the air control valve on the pump- DITO!
I used a plug and plugged the hole and lines no more leak!
Look at pump see if it is leaking at the shaft chanes are pretty good its not and is the control valve.
Will dew first thing in the morning. I hope that's the problem but at 180k and being a 2001 I think Itjust might be its time. Is there anything I need to take off besides the the intake box and pulley? And hoses to not remove? Its so hard to replace something you know nothing about
Old 09-07-14, 03:38 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys I took some pictures does it look like my air control valve is leaking?

Old 09-08-14, 07:25 AM
czr73
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsean400
Need a new alternator once again.. Just realized my power steering fluid is leaking on the alternator. Just wondering what you guys have done or paid to fix the problem. I was quoted 607$ at a Indy shop. I was told my hoses were fine the pump itself is leaking. My pump works great besides the leak. No noise and is as smooth as butter. is this something I can tackle myself? I do basic maintenance myself. Such as spark plugs, alternator replacement, brakes, oil changes ect.
I would like to stay away from the Lucas PS stop leak unless anyone has a long term success story.. Would it be beneficial for me to try the Lucas since its only leaking and the PS pump is fine?
PAID ?? as in money to someone else??!!??
That's overrated friend, that's why this whole forum contains DIY's. Do a search, watch some videos and get your hands dirty meng !!

Your PS pump seals are prob shot. Or your drive belt is to tight which caused the pump to fail. You can rebuild your PS pump yourself, or you can buy a re-manned pump and install that sucker in yourself. Yes - youuu can do it.
Old 09-08-14, 09:54 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Take this as you will..

I used Lucas stop leak. I had to put in a little over two bottles worth over a couple of months but my leaks seem to have stopped now for the past six months or so. I think my steering seems a bit more responsive now also. Not saying everyone should start using this stuff but that's what I did.

BTW I did change my original PS pump for a rebuilt one which started leaking after a couple of months. That's when I started dumping in the Lucas magic formula.

My alternator also failed, which I replaced with a used one. That's been good for a little over a year now. Hopefully it will last a lot longer now that there doesn't seem to be any fluid leaks on it. I also wedged a piece of plastic over top of it to divert any future leaks.