GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

99 GS4 when I give it gas in park, the rear end lifts a LOT

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-14, 05:26 PM
Lexilux
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 GS4 when I give it gas in park, the rear end lifts a LOT

Hi all,

I noticed something odd today. When my son stepped on the gas with the car in park, the rear end of the car raised up a lot. My son is pretty knowledgeable and mechanically inclined but he says hes never seen that and doesn't think it's normal. I'm gonna call the shop on Monday but any ideas on what would cause this? Is it normal?

The car hasn't been the same since I had the motor and transmission mounts changed in January....

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts on this!
Old 07-12-14, 06:41 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Go bounce test the rear struts, start with that...
Old 07-14-14, 05:21 PM
Lexilux
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SicilyGS4
Go bounce test the rear struts, start with that...

Hey, thanks for the response! I'll do that. I haven't noticed excess bounce going over speed bumps, etc.
Old 07-14-14, 05:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I was going to guess motor mounts. Then I read where you said that was something that changed and was when it started acting funny, I suspect it even more. Have both the motor and tranny mounts checked by a second party.
Old 07-15-14, 04:29 AM
Lexilux
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I was going to guess motor mounts. Then I read where you said that was something that changed and was when it started acting funny, I suspect it even more. Have both the motor and tranny mounts checked by a second party.

Thank you for your response! I actually had the mounts checked by another shop and asked them to look for pinched wiring.. They said they were fine but I don't think they are. I think the original shop either didn't get things seated right or they didn't install the correct mounts. I'm dropping it off at another shop today to have the mounts checked again. I'm SO frustrated....

Anyway, thanks again!

PS...car did pass the bounce test for the struts....
Old 07-15-14, 07:17 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

tranny mounts?@!

or

rear diff mounts??
Old 07-15-14, 10:09 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or! Like Sicily suggested! Lol! The rear struts! Go back there and smash down see if you can get it bouncing...
Old 07-16-14, 03:54 AM
Lexilux
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by neegroy
tranny mounts?@!

or

rear diff mounts??
Originally Posted by GSGenesis
Or! Like Sicily suggested! Lol! The rear struts! Go back there and smash down see if you can get it bouncing...
Thanks guys! I dropped it off at the shop yesterday afternoon....will see what they say today..

I guess I might not have been able to push down on the bumper hard enough to properly bounce test the struts....I only weigh 100 lbs
Old 07-17-14, 03:26 PM
Lexilux
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
Thanks! Mechanic says struts are ok but the transmission mount was weak so I had it replaced again and the car definitely feels better. He says my differential mounts are toast. Now, Lexus doesn't sell the differential mounts...you have to buy the entire differential for $1600! That's ridiculous but it is what it is. I know that I saw that someone on here was making/selling the bushings for the mounts so I will look in to that but since I forgot to ask him, can you guys suggest anything else I should look into replacing while the mechanic has the differential out? It's going to cost me $670 for him to drop the diff and replace those bushings so I want to fix anything else that is a maintenance part while he's got it out. Thank you to everyone that responded and for all your help!
Old 07-17-14, 06:14 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

figs engineering sells the bushings for the diff.
Old 07-17-14, 07:02 PM
gsbs300
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexilux
Thanks! Mechanic says struts are ok but the transmission mount was weak so I had it replaced again and the car definitely feels better. He says my differential mounts are toast. Now, Lexus doesn't sell the differential mounts...you have to buy the entire differential for $1600! That's ridiculous but it is what it is. I know that I saw that someone on here was making/selling the bushings for the mounts so I will look in to that but since I forgot to ask him, can you guys suggest anything else I should look into replacing while the mechanic has the differential out? It's going to cost me $670 for him to drop the diff and replace those bushings so I want to fix anything else that is a maintenance part while he's got it out. Thank you to everyone that responded and for all your help!
670 to drop the diff? You don't even have to drop the thing all the way.ive snuck them in there by just lowering it a tad.
Old 07-17-14, 07:27 PM
Lexilux
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by marshun
figs engineering sells the bushings for the diff.
Thanks for the info but when I looked at their website I only saw "Rear Diff Pinion Mount Modular Performance Polyurethane Bushing" and that doesn't look like what I saw on here? I don't know anything about this stuff!

Originally Posted by gsbs300
670 to drop the diff? You don't even have to drop the thing all the way.ive snuck them in there by just lowering it a tad.
Well, I am at the mercy of a professional because I sure can't do it. He says he has to take it out. I don't really see that I have much choice. I should have learned how to work on my own car when I was younger, lol!

If anyone has any suggestions for getting it done for less $$....I'm all ears! Thanks

Last edited by Lexilux; 07-18-14 at 12:32 PM. Reason: add question