GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

timing belt question..unique situation

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-13, 07:38 PM
kaosfive5
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt question..unique situation

so i know there are plenty of threads discussing timing belts..i felt the need to create this thread because i have a 2001 GS300 with now 25k miles. I acquired the car about 18 months ago, i've replaced the serpentine belt among other things but nothing crazy. The schedule states 90k or 6 years..in my case the years..twice rolled over. I have 0 idea if the belt has been replaced before (or water pump while at it) so im reaching out to you fellow 2nd gen GS brothers. If i do opt to replace them both, what else should I get done while I'm at it (seals, fluid changes etc) Any help of course would be greatly appreciated. I'm taking a trip up to Orlando in 2.5 weeks so that is what prompted me to consider this maintenance route.

also the car hasn't given me any grief aside from what i read is a common transmission catch from 1st to 2nd gear..as in sometimes it'll hesitate going from 1st to 2nd..i was concerned about that but read a lot of people having this issue and at this time it hasn't done it in a month (so i know if i took it in duplicating may not even happen)
Old 11-26-13, 07:57 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive seen guys replace the OG timing belts at almost 150k miles and they still look new so most likely you'll be good but if you want to be on the extra extra safe side you can knock the TB and WP out. If you do decide to buy them, register on Sewell Lexus parts and you'll get a Club Lexus discount.
Old 11-26-13, 07:57 PM
sugzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should do the timing belt and water pump to give you a piece of mind. Or you can have your mechanic check it for you to see if the belt shows any cracks or signs of wear.
Old 11-26-13, 08:07 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt do it, the belts still look great at 120k you have almost 90k less mileage you will be fine do it at 90k
Old 11-26-13, 08:37 PM
kaosfive5
Rookie

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
Ive seen guys replace the OG timing belts at almost 150k miles and they still look new so most likely you'll be good but if you want to be on the extra extra safe side you can knock the TB and WP out. If you do decide to buy them, register on Sewell Lexus parts and you'll get a Club Lexus discount.
good to know..yea it's the time that has me concerned..12 years on the same belt it makes you wonder..speaking of wonder, does the code get emailed to me after signing up?
Old 11-30-13, 11:46 PM
GSTim
Rookie

Piece of mind says to change it.
Old 12-06-13, 04:19 PM
kaosfive5
Rookie

so i took off the engine cover and belt cover, lo and behold belt looks like it will require replacement. yahtzee..now its a matter of finding prices for the labor

http://imgur.com/6lthWMn

timing belt question..unique situation-6lthwmn.jpg
Old 12-06-13, 04:43 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Get a timing belt kit from Rockauto, cheaper than Sewell by a decent amount IIRC, and it`s the same ****.

RA gives you an AISIN box, Sewell gives you a Toyota box - that`s the difference
Old 12-06-13, 05:04 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

TB, WP, Idler, thermostat, crank seal, cam seals, consider VVTI gear, hoses, serpentine belt, pcv and check tensioner
Old 12-06-13, 10:15 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
TB, WP, Idler, thermostat, crank seal, cam seals, consider VVTI gear, hoses, serpentine belt, pcv and check tensioner
This is a legit list. I did most of this last Sunday including the rebuilding of the VVTi cam gear since mine was leaking all over the place. I also did my plugs and valve cover gaskets when I realized that they were in desperate need. As far as your water pump, you may not have the mileage but do it anyway.
Old 12-07-13, 07:03 AM
kaosfive5
Rookie

Originally Posted by VIP161
This is a legit list. I did most of this last Sunday including the rebuilding of the VVTi cam gear since mine was leaking all over the place. I also did my plugs and valve cover gaskets when I realized that they were in desperate need. As far as your water pump, you may not have the mileage but do it anyway.
yea i plan on getting the waterpump/timing kit..told my mechanic when he checks it out to lmk if anything else needs to be done while at it. I just need it all done by this coming friday before making a 300 mile trip..i've done the serpentine already myself as well about a year ago
Old 12-07-13, 07:12 AM
egs21
Pole Position

I'm in the more "peace of mind" camp. I did my 2002 GS300 timing belt right when I bought the car with 84k. Wanted to just get it done right away so I didn't have to worry about it. The water pump was in great condition, so I passed on replacing it. Car runs great and I'm taking it on its first long trip next weekend.
Old 12-07-13, 07:18 PM
kaosfive5
Rookie

Originally Posted by egs21
I'm in the more "peace of mind" camp. I did my 2002 GS300 timing belt right when I bought the car with 84k. Wanted to just get it done right away so I didn't have to worry about it. The water pump was in great condition, so I passed on replacing it. Car runs great and I'm taking it on its first long trip next weekend.
yea 84k miles i wouldn't hesitate to replace, but at 26k miles i was like ehh idkk but after noticing how easy it was to at least get a view of the belt i did just that and im glad i did because belt definitely needs replacement..got the timing belt kit from sewell..just to get it all done why not..i do plan on keeping this car for quite some time so i want to keep it on point.
Old 12-07-13, 08:41 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kaosfive5
yea 84k miles i wouldn't hesitate to replace, but at 26k miles i was like ehh idkk but after noticing how easy it was to at least get a view of the belt i did just that and im glad i did because belt definitely needs replacement..got the timing belt kit from sewell..just to get it all done why not..i do plan on keeping this car for quite some time so i want to keep it on point.
Absolutely. If you plan to keep the car along time, may as well just get it done for peace of mind. I believe it is an every 90k service or so. With your low miles, you should have many years of trouble free service.
Old 12-09-13, 05:00 AM
kaosfive5
Rookie

Originally Posted by SupraSport
Timing belt
Idler pulley
Belt tensioner
Water pump
thermostat
Both cam seals & the crank seal
REBUILD your VVTI pulley
New valve cover gaskets
New spark plugs
anddd your serpentine belt.

Do your self the favor, dont leave any of those out. The kits on ebay are all good, research them and youll finfd the one that sells almost every part in the kit thats OEM, ill find the guy I purchased from, his kit was legit. oh and clean your throttle body real well.... car should feel like a dream after all that I promise.
Wow good to know..thank you. I already purchased the timing belt kit from sewell lexus but I know not all of those parts aren't included. Ill look into sourcing them for my tech to plug in. I appreciate you looking for the kit for me id still like to check out what I still need