GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 Rear Bumper Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-13, 09:19 PM
bigtice
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS430 Rear Bumper Issue

I have a Lexus GS430 and my rear bumper is slightly hanging off line by the wheel well on the right side, which I believe I was told was due to a broken clip. Unfortunately, something so miniscule was also explained to need replacing the entire bumper in order to resolve the issue costing nearly a grand, which I just can't seem to believe.

I declined the repair for something that's not really noticeable, but also decided to come here and inquire if this can actually be fixed on my own. Are there clips that I can purchase or something to that extent that can fix this problem? I've included a picture of the bumper and can take more if necessary.

Old 07-31-13, 10:40 PM
bigtice
Driver School Candidate

Bumping in hopes that someone has any ideas.
Old 08-01-13, 06:43 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

First and foremost, welcome!

I'm trying to picture said 'clip' in my mind, since the picture isn't showing up here at work. I'm sure it's nothing a ziptie or two can't fix. I've used a few on my rear bumper on the very bottom, where the bumper clips onto the spare tire well area. It's cheap, effective, and isn't noticeable in the least bit.
Old 08-01-13, 06:50 AM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in the corner where the wheel well meets the rear bumper, there is a square wedge type plastic clip on the bumper.. it essentially points upward to another square hole in the rear quarter panel. then a screw is threaded in making the sides of the wedge span outwards. eseentually it looks like those wall anchors for the home when you dont have a wood/metal stud to drill into. the spreading plastic legs wedge into the dry wall giving you stability.

for the rear bumper, if they are saying you need to replace the bumper, its probably because that lip on the bumper where the plastic wedge piece sits in is damaged beyond repair.
Old 08-01-13, 07:05 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

^ Ah, I understand now. I'm sure there's a way one could fabricate a new 'lip' with some plastic and JB weld.
Old 08-01-13, 11:33 AM
bigtice
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SorrGwa
in the corner where the wheel well meets the rear bumper, there is a square wedge type plastic clip on the bumper.. it essentially points upward to another square hole in the rear quarter panel. then a screw is threaded in making the sides of the wedge span outwards. eseentually it looks like those wall anchors for the home when you dont have a wood/metal stud to drill into. the spreading plastic legs wedge into the dry wall giving you stability.

for the rear bumper, if they are saying you need to replace the bumper, its probably because that lip on the bumper where the plastic wedge piece sits in is damaged beyond repair.
Thanks for the welcome Thomas and thank you for the information SorrGwa.

I tried to take some additional pictures with what you mentioned in mind because it might be damaged beyond "simple" repair if I understood what you were describing.

In this picture (), you can see the square wedge clip with the screw on the wheel well where my fingers are pointing, but there isn't anything beneath my fingers on the bumper itself that should be attaching to the clip. Here's another picture () from above to show the missing section on the bumper.

If I'm making sense of the situation, the missing section on the bumper itself that should attach to the wheel well's clip is why they say it's not a simple repair. But Thomas' post about fabricating a clip and welding something to the bumper to facilitate the attachment sounds like the way it could be repaired. Would this be the route I'd have to go in order to try to fix my problem?
Old 08-01-13, 02:10 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

bigtice, just to let you know, your pictures aren't working.
Old 08-01-13, 02:15 PM
bigtice
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
bigtice, just to let you know, your pictures aren't working.
I just clicked on those links and they appear to be working; but just in case they still don't work, I attached them to this post.
Attached Thumbnails GS430 Rear Bumper Issue-clip1resize.jpg   GS430 Rear Bumper Issue-clip2resize.jpg  
Old 08-01-13, 03:41 PM
8ll8lack
Pole Position

i would just drill a new hole where your finger is at in the 1st picture and a new hole into the quarter panel. screw it in and call it a day.