GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

LexZoom Hello CL

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 04:30 PM
LexZoom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LexZoom Hello CL

HI all,

I just joined last week as I unexpectedly found my new baby on wheels. Have learned tons on this site. All the advice and experiences of 2nd Gen GS owners posting here, helped me narrow down my choices of cars to consider. All I had to do was wait for the right one to appear.

I once owned a Z28 (first car bought new), which someone destroyed in 2010. Since then, I had done research on reliable cars, with the fun to drive factor built in, power as well as hi level design. Discovered the Lexus GS, LS of this period and the owners that raved about them.

Last week had come to look at a GS430 and found this '99 GS400 with 60,680k just 2 cars down on the lot. Wasn't even in my radar. It was just sitting there waiting for me to find it and take it home. I sat in it and checked everything I could. Impressed. it was VERY clean and everything worked! The drivers seat was not worn. Even the steering wheel leather had no hand marks. After an independent mechanic put it on a lift, pronounced it clean (he was equally impressed) no leaks, dents, no cracks in hoses, belts. Came with HID's, stock Pioneer stereo-which my ears don't mind (will try the Non-Nav re-programming code to see if I can finer tune the sound). Heated seats, low back adjuster?! Just a neet, basic luxury car.

I bought it.

After a week of driving it, I'm in love again. NO creaks or groans turning wheel, barely feel transmission changes, such a quiet engine. It's the perfect car for me. Power, awesome power. This silver gem just glides, such a smooth transmission and so responsive in handling. It doesn't kill me in gas like the '76 Chevy I 'm still using. Anything over 14mpg is a savings! Finally, something to soften the loss of my Camaro. Well, I'm very happy with this new zoom zoom (my nieces and cousins call it that) and will take care of this as the refined machine it is.

Monday, I'm going to Lextech in Silverlake to have it's 60,000k service done and use the opportunity to ask some questions. WIll post about the experience, there.
I am going to have transmission fluid drained and filled at every oil change at my local mechanic just to clean it out and keeping this car in top shape. Will ask for Mobil 1 3309. If it's available, that's what I'll request for Tranny and engine..

Can you tell I'm a Lexus GS fan?
Attached Thumbnails LexZoom Hello CL-2013-02-09-lexi-gs400.jpg  

Last edited by LexZoom; 02-19-13 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-15-13, 06:59 PM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice clean looking GS. congrats and enjoy
Old 02-15-13, 07:40 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Wow would love to have a low mileage GS400 like yours. Good find !!
Old 02-15-13, 07:42 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I thought my car had low miles

Welcome to the club!
Old 02-15-13, 09:11 PM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

Looks clean! Enjoy in good health.
Old 02-16-13, 12:42 AM
LexZoom
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone,

Appreciate the welcome! :]

No immediate plans to modify, but, as the GS proves a strong and healthy innards, that may change,
Old 02-16-13, 12:52 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! Im sure u will like it here lol
Old 02-16-13, 01:21 AM
uoduckfan0
Rookie

I'm kinda on the same boat as you. I had a 2008 Nissan Sentra that I bought used with 11k miles just didn't cut it. I sold it at 64k miles after 2 transmission changes that were covered by warranty.

With my powertrain warranty ending at 60k, I didn't wanna chance another bad tranny. I sold it, and paid a few bucks more for this 2001 GS430 with 130k miles, and I'm so happy I did. This car is clean.

A family friend kept this car in amazing shape, and made sure to get all the necessary servicing done. I can't believe I found a 12 year old car in the condition it is in.
Attached Thumbnails LexZoom Hello CL-p1000537.jpg   LexZoom Hello CL-p1000538.jpg  
Old 02-16-13, 01:53 AM
LexZoom
Driver School Candidate

I'm kinda on the same boat as you. I had a 2008 Nissan Sentra that I bought used with 11k miles just didn't cut it. I sold it at 64k miles after 2 transmission changes that were covered by warranty.
Right on!
I used to drive cars for enterprise, drove lot of Mercedes, BMW's and even hopped in an Aston Martin. The Gs is right up there for smooth driving and comfort. Maybe not so many buttons or extras, but good enough! I believe 130 miles is young for this motor. Amazed how problems crop up too often on newer cars. Thank goodness you were covered.
With my powertrain warranty ending at 60k, I didn't wanna chance another bad tranny. I sold it, and paid a few bucks more for this 2001 GS430 with 130k miles, and I'm so happy I did. This car is clean.
Exactly how I felt when I first sat in the silver GS.
A family friend kept this car in amazing shape, and made sure to get all the necessary servicing done. I can't believe I found a 12 year old car in the condition it is in. :woohoo
I feel super fortunate to have found it when least expecting.. Well kept and looks no more than 2-3 years old. Does NOT look it's 14 years. Super clean interior, NO smells!! Garaged it's whole life, driven MAX about 2600 miles a year, I don't think I overpaid for this car. Shoot, it even has the appropriate God rays shining down on it in my pic. That's how it feels to have this car in my driveway.

Anyway, at the Lextech 60k service, I'll know for absolute sure the condition of the GS's engine. Will post the results.

I think we've done good!

Last edited by LexZoom; 02-16-13 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-16-13, 02:11 AM
713gs430
Rookie

Clean and welcome! I got my 05' GS430 about a year and a half ago and it had 72k on it. Best part of all? I found one w/ black interior! Odd thing was that it was the complete package and had the wood trim everywhere .... EXCEPT on the steering wheel (my previous 01' gs430 had wood trim on the steering wheel).
Anyway, I just recently broken 100k and it's still riding smooth, better than before (done a full tune up, belts, water pump, etc). I just love that stock v8 punch!
Old 02-16-13, 03:01 AM
LexZoom
Driver School Candidate

Thanks 713gs430,

I love discussing the merits of Gs's! Nice! 72k is really good for a used 2nd gen. I spent about 2 years looking for the right color and mileage. Originally wanted an '05 430, but, the clean ones were out of my price range. Finally decided as long as interior is black I can alter exterior. I decided to just look for a lower priced higher miles Lexus and just wait to get the '05 "keeper" in a few years. Certainly widened my options otherwise would have never even considered a 400. Glad I did because I think it is the "keeper".

And, agree, that immediate burst is so satisfying. Seeing cars turn to small dots in the rear view with only a light press makes me smile.
Alas, gas prices just went up week after I bought it. Will have to tame the right foot.

Last edited by LexZoom; 02-16-13 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-19-13, 12:54 PM
LexZoom
Driver School Candidate

Default Lextech

I took my '99 GS400 for it's 60,000k service.I wanted to baseline it and have it more thoroughly looked over for worn out parts that needed replacing as well as to see how the fluids were in the engine and transmission.
Been reading the threads on all that could be wrong with a used 2nd gen GS. So, went to Lextech for my major service. Paul the owner is very cool and takes time to explain stuff and answer questions. He had his crew check for all the things that GS's are known to have issues with: ball joints, electrical, etc. During the service the Lextech crew went over the suspension, brakes, motor, checked over the electrical systems going through each door one by one. Checked the timing belt and hoses, pump. Original belt is still very good, not worn. Surprising to me is that the Lower/Upper ball joints and bushings looked new according to the tech. Previous owner had already taken care of. I basically have a brand new car with no repairs needed. Only maintenance: oil changes every 3500 miles, transmission fluid drain and fill every other oil service and good to go. I am one happy camper.

Paul was very attentive to my questions and concerns about the car and actually sat down and took the time to explain how a few things worked. He is absolutely an honest mechanic and business owner, because with the age of my car, he could have talked me into replacing several items that I already read issues about, here on CL., that are usually the first to wear out on this mode. But, instead he pronounced all in great condition and told me just to keep an eye on it at every oil change. Paul was, also, kind enough to reset the ECU so it could learn my driving habits. I will definitely go back to Lextech for each major service, if you don't do it yourself, and highly recommend Lextech to everyone with any vehicle, but esp. Lexi's.

Oh, and they also washed my car! Great shop!
Old 02-19-13, 04:21 PM
vbieds
Driver

Welcome to the club!
Old 02-19-13, 04:41 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the GS and welcome to Club Lexus
Old 02-19-13, 04:55 PM
xlexusx
Driver School Candidate

Clean ride, I wish I can find one that nice some day! Welcome to the forum!
I'll trade you trunks! You know you want a cool factory spoiler! Lol

Quick Reply: LexZoom Hello CL