GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car drives normaly, then slowly starts to shake and rumble and then goes to smooth ag

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 05:12 AM
NoobExe
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default [SOLVED]Car drives normaly, then slowly starts to shake and rumble and then smooth

So, my car decided that it have too little issues and made a new one. I was driving at constatnt speed around 50-60mph and i felt the car was starting to shake and the steering wheel started to shake quite a bit and deep rumble like sound was comming from outside of the cabin. Before I could get to place where I can stop the shaking and rumbling went away and it drove really smooth again.

i know my lower control arm bushings needs to be replaced and iam waiting for them to arrive, but i dont think they would cause somethink like that.

Last edited by NoobExe; 07-15-21 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-14-21, 08:11 AM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts

Really hard to diagnose something like this. It sounds like some sort of resonance through your suspension / body - which is usually common on things like Jeeps and full ton trucks that have live front axles. If I were you, I'd inspect all the bushings and bolts on the suspension arms. Replacing your lower control arm bushings is a start. If you have high miles, many of the bushings are probably in poor condition and collectively, could put a lot of slop in the drivetrain. One relatively common bushing failure are the bushings on the steering rack mounts - they've been known to cause vibration in the steering.
Old 07-14-21, 08:27 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 173 Posts

Sounds like your describing a “Classic Death-Wobble” a notoriously difficult condition to diagnose. Especially without being in the car when it occurs. I am going to predict that this won’t be the last time it happens. And actually, it’ll probably start happening more and more often, frequency increasing as the worn bushing or whatever the cause disintegrates further. Until it’s obvious what the problem is. Hopefully it was Ku a fluke, and never happens again. However, if it does happen again, the suspension on these cars have been thoroughly explored during their lifetime. And you can find ample diagnostic info on clubLexus.com. Also there are multiple options for every part of the suspension and many different variations to pick from. So u can improve your cars handling or find one that will last forever if that’s preferred.
Old 07-15-21, 11:04 PM
NoobExe
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Update.
I trace it down to the siezing rear right caliper. Whenewer the car starts to shake the brake disc get so hot that you cant even touch it and all other discs are way cooler. I then adjusted the right parking brake shoes that even with parking brake on they dont engage at all. The shaking still persist so the only option is bad/siezing caliper because my brake discs and brake pads are 4-5 months old and when i installed them i checked for warpage and there was none. Other sign is that sometimes when i step on the brakes I can hear loud BANG from right rear that i think is the siezed caliper rapidly unsiezing under pressure.
The following users liked this post:
Yri (07-16-21)