GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tire talk

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-13, 12:59 PM
Riker36
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire talk

I know, I probably should have posted this in the tire section, but it didn't look like threads there get many responses. So here it goes:

I just purchase a 2001 GS300 with 17" OZRacing wheels along with tires that are 225/50-R17. The tires are Michelin Pilot Sport a/s Plus. The problem is twofold: one the tires are noisy, and secondly the ride is rough, feeling almost every bump. I just talked to a tire store, and the guy recommended going back to 16" wheels and tires.

But just for cost purposes, I would kinda like to keep the wheels I have now, and just replace the tires. Is there a tire other than the Michelin Pilot that would help with the noise and rough ride? The tire guy told me no. But I have read online that Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires might help, or maybe Michelin Primacy might be a good option too.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciate...thanks!
Old 01-08-13, 01:37 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually work in a tire shop so hopefully I can shed some light on your question. Personally I love the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I think it is one of the best UHP all season tires out there. But it is a bit of a older model. But performance wise it is excellent. If I had to pick any other it would be the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Bot the Michelin and Continental are Z rated so you can expect good performance out of both and both are long lasting (as long as your tires are aligned and not doing burn outs

Now when comparing the two the Michelin id directional whereas the Continental is asymmetric. Usually directional tires are a little more noisy than asymmetric. So it looks like the Continentals may be in your favor. Both tires have soft sidewalls so comfort should be pretty equal there.

When you say the ride is rough it may just be because you are going a little more low profile but 50 series is really not that low so the comfort level should still be there.

Have a look here. This should have a lot of reviews and information that should be able to help you out.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
Old 01-08-13, 06:57 PM
milehighGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would first look to see if the tires are cupped (irregular treadwear), second, check your air pressure. Cupped tires usually happen if there is something out of order suspensionwise, or they have not been rotated properly. If the pressures are too high, they will ride rough. I would recommend the Primacy if they are avail. in your size. Michelin is one of the smoothest riding tire on the market.