GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I've searched, I've read, I've diagnosed and I can't figure it out... help please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-12, 02:46 PM
lexalex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've searched, I've read, I've diagnosed and I can't figure it out... help please!

Trust me I have read every post I can find on servo motors, blend door motors, no heat, etc... I was so confident it was the servo motor but when I go to a mechanic they said driver's side blend door... then they say there's 3 different kinds and which ones.. pleaseeee help me!! I'm begging you!!! My mechanic passed away in Jan of this year and I have no one that I can trust to help... everyone is always trying to get over. I'm hoping the knowledge you give me will help me get better results...

2003 GS300

My car was making a gurgling/chirping/clicking sound from the navigation/glove box area... then one day, I cut the car on and it started buzzing for about 10-15 seconds, then cuts off. It doesn't do that until I turn the car on, but now it does it everytime for the first 10-15 secs (I don't hear the gurgling/chirping/clicking anymore). My driver's side, backseat and windshield vents will not blow hot air anymore. Only the passenger side. All vents will blow A/C.

From what I read here initially, I thought it was the driver side servo motor. After taking it to a mechanic, they said they THOUGHT it was the driver side blend door but they couldn't get into my software?? Said they would have to call Lexus. Well all Lexus says is they would have to see the car.

I really don't have 150 to give Lexus to tell me the problem.

PLEASE
1 - What is the difference between the driver side servo motor and the driver side blend door motor?
2 - Which one do you think it is and do you have to pull the dash to put that part in?
3 - What is a fair price for replacing it?

Anything else you could tell me to enlighten me would help dearly. I'm really struggling without my mechanic and freezing without heat in my car...

Thank you so much for reading and your replies.

Last edited by lexalex; 12-10-12 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-10-12, 02:53 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

blend door is what mechanics call a servo, they are the same thing....

gargling sound is probably low coolant, search keyword gargling on here

4 servos in the car, one on drivers side

no you dont have to pull the dash but it would help immensely, just not needed
Old 12-10-12, 02:56 PM
lexalex
Driver School Candidate

Talking Thank you!!!

sakataj!! THANK YOU!!

I'll check the coolant and do the search on that.

You don't happen *by any chance* to know the part number for the driver servo motor do you? I understand you can't do aftermarket, Lexus only.

Where is the servo located? What do you think a reasonable price to replace this is?

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-12, 02:57 PM
lexalex
Driver School Candidate

Part number 87106D? DS Temp Servo? I saw this post on gargling:

Driver side temp control servo.... the easiest one (of 3) to replace...very simple....like 3 screws, 10-15 minutes.... Buy the part at CL discount price at Sewell Lexus.... In the future, please USE THE SEARCH BUTTON AND/OR READ THE FAQS!!

Is this the same as driver side servo motor? Should I change both if not?

**I'm sorry Sakataj -- thanks again for your time on this** Does the DS servo motor (same as temp servo??) also control the vents in the backseat and the vents under the windshield?

Last edited by lexalex; 12-10-12 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-10-12, 03:43 PM
lexalex
Driver School Candidate

I've figured out they are the same servo, I found the part number (87106-30351 - Lexus OEM Damper servo sub-assy) from another post of yours and where they are located (above climate control assy to right of gauge cluster). I've been quoted $350 for pricing on replacement for a part that costs 125.. not sure if that's fair, but I'll try to see what else I can discover...

Sorry for asking all these questions - but thanks for your help
Old 03-27-13, 12:31 PM
lexalex
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to post a follow up to let everyone know - thanks to your helpful posts and advice I was able to get my mechanic to replace the driver side servo motor (underneath the steering wheel). Took him about 15 mins to replace and no problems since :-)

Thanks again!! You all are AWESOME!!
Old 03-27-13, 12:51 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-27-13, 12:52 PM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The noise was near the glove box but he replaced the driver side servo motor? Im guessing the servo is all the way over there kickin it with the passenger side ones?
Old 03-27-13, 02:34 PM
Dbrach
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to say, although new to the Lexus forum (as I've been on the BMW forum for years now) I agree with the whole "you should try the search function first"...HOWEVER with that said...being new to the forum and having an older Lexus, I'm only just now starting to experience some of these troubles and just randomly searching new post only, I stumbled across this forum. I actually have heard that same gurgling sound and now have a quick fix. I've been dismissing it simply because the car is old and new to me so I haven't learned what all quarks I can live with / without etc.

So a long winded...thank you! As always, great information on here guys!
Old 06-06-13, 07:30 AM
lexalex
Driver School Candidate

Haha I might have been hearing it from that side, it more so sounded like it was coming from the navigation.. But yes, he replaced the one under the steering wheel and it corrected the problem. NOW of course, I'm having another slight issue. When I cut my AC on through the front vents, I get a buzzing noise for about 10-15 seconds then it cuts off. It can happen whether the car is on or off. The AC/Heat work fine, but that buzzing happens periodically.. Not sure what that's about either SMH!

@Dbrach, I love Club Lexus. You get so much good information from very knowledgeable folks! Makes me sound like I know what I'm talking about with these mechanics :-)