GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ticking sound coming from my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-11, 06:40 AM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qgoat
If you only have ticking noise at those specific rpms, it almost sounds like your car is running lean. Is it actually a ticking noise-or more of a pinging or rattle.
Good question. To me it's more of a ticking.
Old 10-10-11, 06:21 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It ticks at every rpm and gets really fast when i accelerate, i cannot hear it in the cabin, i was told it sounds like a stuck valve/piston? Should i try to sea foam it? Car just had an oil change with 5-30 mobil 1 full synthetic, car idles perfect and is not misfiring.... Should i be concerned? Lexus told me i need a valve adjustment, i def dont have money for this right now and its my daily driver about 20- 30 miles a day..
Old 10-10-11, 04:17 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

I still have the ticking the dealer said i need a valvr adjustment over the phone, he didnt even hear my car, it ticks faintly then gets faster when i accelerate, i def dont have money for a valve adjustment if it cost that much, people have heard it and said it sounds like a stuck lifter, could i add a lifter lubricant or just sea foam it? Oil was just changed with 5w-30 mobil 1 synthetic, i bought the car with the ticking.....hmmm FML
Old 10-10-11, 05:54 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAWNPAWN
I still have the ticking the dealer said i need a valvr adjustment over the phone, he didnt even hear my car, it ticks faintly then gets faster when i accelerate, i def dont have money for a valve adjustment if it cost that much, people have heard it and said it sounds like a stuck lifter, could i add a lifter lubricant or just sea foam it? Oil was just changed with 5w-30 mobil 1 synthetic, i bought the car with the ticking.....hmmm FML
If it it just in fact a valve adjustment that's needed, then you should be fine for a second. You can always try and run Seafoam in it but if you just did an oil change, then I'd wait. I think you need to run seafoam in it 100-200 miles before doing an oil change. Plus Seafoam will thin it out even more.
Old 10-11-11, 03:06 PM
Acer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can it be from the injectors?Direct injections is what I read it can be.
Old 10-11-11, 05:12 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by acer9103
Can it be from the injectors?Direct injections is what I read it can be.
Our cars got SFI, not DI
Old 10-20-11, 08:22 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oslouie
If it it just in fact a valve adjustment that's needed, then you should be fine for a second. You can always try and run Seafoam in it but if you just did an oil change, then I'd wait. I think you need to run seafoam in it 100-200 miles before doing an oil change. Plus Seafoam will thin it out even more.
Thats what imma do...
Old 01-05-12, 08:44 AM
vdubill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you had any luck diagnosing this. I think i have both, a slight tick at every rpm, and a louder tick that occurs only around 3k rpm. I think i need a valve adjustment and a new fuel injector.
Old 01-24-12, 02:31 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vdubill
have you had any luck diagnosing this. I think i have both, a slight tick at every rpm, and a louder tick that occurs only around 3k rpm. I think i need a valve adjustment and a new fuel injector.
Still no diagnosis yet, still ticking, im gonna try seafom and a different oil, like castrol instead of mobil 1, if that dont work then i guess ill get the valve adjustment, i was quoted for $550 out the door..
Any luck with yours??
Old 01-24-12, 09:06 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Still no diagnosis yet, still ticking, im gonna try seafom and a different oil, like castrol instead of mobil 1, if that dont work then i guess ill get the valve adjustment, i was quoted for $550 out the door..
Any luck with yours??
Save urself time and money, go buy a simple vacuum guage and hook it up to manifold vacuum and vacuum reading should be steady....from 17-21 inHg. If its flucuating report back.
Old 01-24-12, 09:28 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The noise could be the injectors ticking. If you rev the engine, does the frequency/pitch change much? If so, then it's probably valves. I the noise just gets louder, it's probably the injectors. Run a bottle of Redline SI-1 cleaner through a full tank and see what happens.

When you have 32 valves to work with, it's going to take a while to adjust.
Old 01-27-12, 12:59 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
The noise could be the injectors ticking. If you rev the engine, does the frequency/pitch change much? If so, then it's probably valves. I the noise just gets louder, it's probably the injectors. Run a bottle of Redline SI-1 cleaner through a full tank and see what happens.

When you have 32 valves to work with, it's going to take a while to adjust.
No frequency or pitch change, im gonna try the redline in a full tank this weekend, if that works i swear to god ill buy u a steak dinner and send the gift certificate to your house....Lexus wants $600 for a valve adjustment, and this car just had a valve adjustment from them 50k miles ago from the previous owner, i have the paperwork...
Old 01-27-12, 01:16 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=GS4_Fiend;6967432]Save urself time and money, go buy a simple vacuum guage and hook it up to manifold vacuum and vacuum reading should be steady....from 17-21 inHg. If its flucuating report back.[/

Hmmm well im not the most mechanically inclined when it comes to cars, my friend knows how to do this though.. Ok
Old 01-27-12, 09:34 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Like i said, do that vacuum test. You can thank me later

No frequency or pitch change, im gonna try the redline in a full tank this weekend, if that works i swear to god ill buy u a steak dinner and send the gift certificate to your house....Lexus wants $600 for a valve adjustment, and this car just had a valve adjustment from them 50k miles ago from the previous owner, i have the paperwork...
Old 01-27-12, 01:46 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Like i said, do that vacuum test. You can thank me later
Alright ill do it..

Quick Reply: Ticking sound coming from my engine?