GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Autolock mode on 2002 GS430 (C-BEST)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-02, 12:43 AM
panther_v
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Autolock mode on 2002 GS430 (C-BEST)

hello

today i went to a local dealer for the 30 day service. meantime i asked the dealer to program the autolock mode to lock when speed reaches to 5mph. when i picked up my car, it didn't work. however, the doors only lock when i shift from "p".

here are my questions:

can you have 2 autolock mode turn on simultaneously (ie lock when shift from p and lock when reach 5mph)?

how do you test the 5mph lock mode? i've tried to shift before closing door, or unlock the door after shift from p; none worked.

thanks in advance for your information.
Old 09-17-02, 11:43 AM
Flexor
Driver School Candidate

panther_v,

It sounds like the 'AUTO LOCK/SHIFT' (lock when shifting from park) item is overriding the 'AUTO LOCK' (lock at certain speed) item. 'AUTO LOCK/SHIFT' is the default setting so make sure they turn this off and turn 'AUTO LOCK' on.

Also, if you get tired of unlocking the doors, you can have them turn on 'UNLOCK/PARK'.
Old 09-17-02, 11:59 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

is this service free?
Old 09-17-02, 12:00 PM
panther_v
Rookie

Question is this normal operation?

this morning i tried out the autolock again and this is what happened:

when i started the engine, i left my driver's door open. i didn't close the door until i shift into "r". as soon as the car is in motion, the doors locked. before i left, i shifted to "p" and opened the door once more and repeated the operation. however; the door didn't lock the 2nd time.

when i got to office, i shut down my engine and repeated the whole process once more, and guess what, the doors locked again.

it seems to me that the autolock (5mph) mode only activates once after you started engine. in order to make it work again, you have to shut down and restart. comparing to autolock (shift from "p"), it activates everytime when you shift from "p".

does anyone have similar experience?
Old 09-17-02, 12:03 PM
panther_v
Rookie

Default depends.....

Originally posted by GSquicksilver
is this service free?
if you haven't programmed your c-best setting since you bought your car, i am sure the dealer should at least honor your 1st program request. however; i am not sure if c-best setting options are the same for other model years.
Old 09-17-02, 01:07 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the dealer program my cbest setting to open all doors when i click on the unlock button once. I hated the fact when i had to press it down once and it just unlocked the drivers side and than I have to keep it held down to open all the doors.

Now 1 click and all doors open, works better for me.
You can also adjust the timer setting for the trunk release to open quicker which I did do. I just hold it down for 1 sec vs. 4 sec before.
Old 09-17-02, 01:22 PM
panther_v
Rookie

Thumbs up customized programming

i really enjoy the customized programming features on this car. however, i wish lexus has key specific settings like bmw does. instead of seat memory on board, it's also memorized through a specific key.
Old 09-18-02, 01:03 AM
panther_v
Rookie

Thumbs up update....

today i took my car back in the dealer to see how the autolock works. instead of going to service dept, i talked to the salesman who sold me the car. he is so nice; he took me to the service area and got a hold of a mechanic with the handheld computer. he hooked it up and we verified all the c-best setting. appearently the mechanic who worked on my car yesterday activated the wrong autolock mode. he activated "lock/shift brake" which locks the doors after you shift away from "p" and release the brake peddle. anyway, long story short, my salesman corrected the programming to my choice.

i am very grateful for what he has done for me.
Old 09-18-02, 02:45 AM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

I don't get it... doesnt the DMV or some other high power Vehicle thing suggest that you do not drive with your doors locked?
Old 09-18-02, 07:48 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Toog4me
I don't get it... doesnt the DMV or some other high power Vehicle thing suggest that you do not drive with your doors locked?
?????

Toog,

Find me a link where they say that because that doesn't make sense?

If you all would like to see what C-Best settings are available for your car this hit this link that Antigeek in the SC430 forum was nice enough to post up on his website..

http://members.bbnow.net/txalec/
Old 09-18-02, 08:28 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 2SAVVY

?????

Toog,

Find me a link where they say that because that doesn't make sense?

If you all would like to see what C-Best settings are available for your car this hit this link that Antigeek in the SC430 forum was nice enough to post up on his website..

http://members.bbnow.net/txalec/

I don't have a link for that, but I finished driving school last year, probably a lot closer to when you finished it. I know that was one of the things they told us because if you ever get into an accident, or you pass out and they need to get you out of the car, locking the doors does not help.

Locking your car doors does not help when your driving too, unless you have a baby in the car who likes to flirt with the door handle... in that case, there is a baby lock. But I am pretty sure that it is recommended that you do not lock your doors while driving.
Old 09-19-02, 01:53 AM
panther_v
Rookie

Default hmmmm......

Originally posted by Toog4me

I don't have a link for that, but I finished driving school last year, probably a lot closer to when you finished it. I know that was one of the things they told us because if you ever get into an accident, or you pass out and they need to get you out of the car, locking the doors does not help.

Locking your car doors does not help when your driving too, unless you have a baby in the car who likes to flirt with the door handle... in that case, there is a baby lock. But I am pretty sure that it is recommended that you do not lock your doors while driving.
so i guess you don't lock your door while driving?

i remember when i was younger, my uncle mentioned about some laws that talk about not locking the door, but it makes no sense to have door unlocked while driving around, especially in some high crime areas.

as for accidents or pssing out, rescuers probably will break the windows if they can't open the doors.

speaking of the accidents, does anyone know if a lexus car will unlock itself and flash hazard lights if the car gets into an accident? i know all bmw models do.
Old 09-19-02, 03:47 AM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

my doors lock automaticly. I never said I don't follow that rule, but it is what I have heard.

Regarding your other question, I know the car, depending on the model, will automaticly call/give the police a signal or something as to where you are. Someone reported a story like this a while back.