IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to lock your door

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-17, 11:07 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How to lock your door

Ok stupid question but I gotta ask. If our cars automatically open every time it senses our fobs, and after we get in and drive our car auto locks. Well what if I'm at a red light and someone yanks the door handle, how do I fully lock it? I've tried this experiment with the wife inside and it opened. So how does one fully lock these doors to people on the outside?
Old 10-10-17, 11:29 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

If the car is an automatic trans, the doors should lock when when the gear selector is in drive and unlock only when the selector is put in park or neutral. I don't know how a manual trans works in this area.

If you are in the car, you can press the lock button on the driver's door armrest and all doors will lock.
Old 10-10-17, 12:36 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

The auto lock once you reach a certain speed is programmable in the LPS. I am sure there are other settings that are available for locking the door. Sometimes it can be programmed when you shift to D and auto unlock happens when you shift to P. The LPS can be accessed using the Techstream software or the dealer. Dealer will probably charge for changes on the LPS, unless you have the car serviced 100% from the dealer and they will accommodate stuff like these as a courtesy, free of charge.
The following users liked this post:
IWasHungry (10-10-17)
Old 10-10-17, 05:37 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

What I mean is, if I'm in the car, I have the fob in my pocket. I start the car and let it idle, then hit the lock switch on the door. At this point while idling and "locked" anyone can still come up to the car and grab the handle and open the door. How do I prevent that.
Old 10-10-17, 05:55 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Are you sure when you tested it you didn't still have the key fob in your pocket?
Old 10-10-17, 07:57 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
What I mean is, if I'm in the car, I have the fob in my pocket. I start the car and let it idle, then hit the lock switch on the door. At this point while idling and "locked" anyone can still come up to the car and grab the handle and open the door. How do I prevent that.
If the car is locked and the key is not outside the car by the door handle, I don't think it would unlock.

Here's a pic from Lexus:
Attached Thumbnails How to lock your door-img_1195.jpg  
Old 10-11-17, 01:33 AM
lovekeiiy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have an answer for your question. Unless you drive in some "questionable" areas, you may be letting your paranoia getting the best of you. I do believe you can disable the whole touch unlock/lock feature. It's a custom feature that needs to be done through the DLC port.

That said, if you are able to keep the door lock with the keyfab in your pocket, you run the risk of locking yourself out of the car. Unless you keep the keyfab in your pocket to use the actual key or you have spare keyfab, you'll have issues getting back into the car.
Old 10-11-17, 02:35 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nosurprise
If the car is locked and the key is not outside the car by the door handle, I don't think it would unlock.

Here's a pic from Lexus:
With it running, my wife in the passenger seat, and the fob was on her, I had her lock the door, and I was still able to get in; the door unlocked for my hand. And this has nothing to do with paranoia. I should be able to lock my door and have noone get in period.
Old 10-11-17, 05:35 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds to me that your receiver is too sensitive and thinks your fob is still outside the car. What was stated before is the receiver knows or is supposed to know that the fob is either inside or outside the car. If I have my fob in the passenger seat of my car when it's running (I was doing some cleaning inside), I will get the "fob not detected" display on the cluster intermittently. That tells me the sensitivity of the receiver is pretty specific to being in the driver's seat. When my battery was getting weak, I would get the "not detected" error even when it was in my pocket in the driver's seat. I've never heard of what you are experiencing, but I'm going to try mine later when I get home to see if it behaves the same way.
Old 10-11-17, 07:06 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,477 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Another tid bit tested me. Approaching locked car, Me at drivers door with key fob, another at the passengers door, the pass door does not unlock unless the fob is present on that side of the car.

Often times I rest the key in the forward ashtray using a 12v USB charge plug to trap and secure the fob between the plug and bordering edge. This is fine until you charge your phone whereby the dash reports Key Not Detected.
The electrical currents produce enough EMI to overcome the Tx/Rx signal the car and fob share...

What I am eluding too is drop your fob in the ashtray and try it. As another crazy experiment, line the ashtray with foil and try that.

I wonder if someone moved your antenna for a wider range of acceptance?

Last bit; I ordered Techstream OBD tool but have not loaded software as I wish to disable the constant lock/unlock shenanigans the car is doing. A member on the GS forum used a phone app and dongle do the same thing and in their settings on the GS it had fob detection options. Drivers area OR anywhere in the cabin. I'm not sure if out IS has this option?
Old 10-11-17, 08:48 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,477 Likes on 1,232 Posts

One more thing. Pressing and holding both the fobs lock and unlock for approx 4sec will toggle the operation of unlock from; drivers door to all doors opened.

Which mode is your remote in? Does one press open all doors or just the drivers door? Note, in this mode touching the drivers door handle will unlock all doors.

Toggle back by pushing and holding both buttons.

Does anyone know if we can put our remotes to sleep to preserve battery life?
Old 10-11-17, 10:47 AM
lovekeiiy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
... Does anyone know if we can put our remotes to sleep to preserve battery life?
Not that I'm aware of. But I have feeling it's a small power draw. I suspect that battery is good for a least a year, but most likely two. If you have Lexus service your car, they include a battery change, I think on the 30,000-mile service.
Old 10-11-17, 07:17 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jr4div2
Sounds to me that your receiver is too sensitive and thinks your fob is still outside the car. What was stated before is the receiver knows or is supposed to know that the fob is either inside or outside the car. If I have my fob in the passenger seat of my car when it's running (I was doing some cleaning inside), I will get the "fob not detected" display on the cluster intermittently. That tells me the sensitivity of the receiver is pretty specific to being in the driver's seat. When my battery was getting weak, I would get the "not detected" error even when it was in my pocket in the driver's seat. I've never heard of what you are experiencing, but I'm going to try mine later when I get home to see if it behaves the same way.
This very well may be true.

"One more thing. Pressing and holding both the fobs lock and unlock for approx 4sec will toggle the operation of unlock from; drivers door to all doors opened.
Which mode is your remote in? Does one press open all doors or just the drivers door? Note, in this mode touching the drivers door handle will unlock all doors.
Does anyone know if we can put our remotes to sleep to preserve battery life?"

A single press of my "unlock" button on my fob only unlocks the driver's door. It takes a second press to unlock the rest of the car.
Old 10-12-17, 06:51 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
With it running, my wife in the passenger seat, and the fob was on her, I had her lock the door, and I was still able to get in; the door unlocked for my hand. And this has nothing to do with paranoia. I should be able to lock my door and have noone get in period.
It seems that something is wrong with your car, and you can try to take it to the dealership or something. My car doesn't unlock. And it sounds like others don't either.

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
One more thing. Pressing and holding both the fobs lock and unlock for approx 4sec will toggle the operation of unlock from; drivers door to all doors opened.
Does anyone know if we can put our remotes to sleep to preserve battery life?
The unlock behavior (whether it unlocks one door or all doors) is customizable. The battery lasts a few years as is; I don't think you can turn it off.
Old 10-13-17, 10:51 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 137 Posts

it is recommended that if u want the battery to last in your fob, u should keep it away from your cellphone.. ex: putting your fob in a different pants pocket as your celllphone... putting your cellphone in the same pocket as your fob will drain the battery... it is in the owners manual read it...