GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP! Low tranny fluid but no leak!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10, 02:10 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default HELP! Low tranny fluid but no leak!!!

So, about a month ago I heard a bang while driving. I pulled over and all my tranny fluid came pouring out from under my car. Got my car towed to the shop where they found that something kicked up from the ground and punctured the transmission pan. New pan, new gaskets, new fluid and new filter...all is (was) well. Drove it around for a while that night everything was fine...checked the fluid while the car was on AND hot and the level was a little high. I brought it back to the shop and they took out about 1/2 Qt. All was good.

Fast forward to a week ago and I noticed that I keep getting a distinct smell of tranny fluid inside my car! I checked my transmission fluid (while car is on AND hot) and noticed that my fluid is VERY low. Below the low mark. I had to add almost 1 Qt.

So, I have been driving the car for the last week and I keep smelling tranny fluid inside my car. Again, I checked the fluid (today) and it was again...very low. There are NEVER EVER any leaks on the ground. I don't know what to do. I see a little build-up coming from my tranny cooler where the "in" and "out" line go but nothing too serious...plus it's been like that for years...probably the connections just need to be tightened up.

Where is my tranny fluid going? I am at a complete loss. The color is still bright pink and smells normal (no burning smell).

Please help! any advice is appreciated!
Old 12-20-10, 02:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Check for leaks by idling your car IN GEAR in one spot.
Old 12-20-10, 02:36 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I would drive it at least 30 mins. Then at a leveled ground, shift into all gears then check the level
Old 12-20-10, 10:17 PM
Dscustoms
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No idea. There aren't any secret places for the fluid to go, if you are checking it hot, you must have a leak still! Have the shop that did the work really check it out, they should guarantee their service.
Old 12-21-10, 01:32 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get the same smell coming from my car after i turn it off and open the hood. It smells very sweet almost like a sugary syrup smell but mine fluid level hasn't been getting any lower. I'm guessing maybe one of your hoses to your tranny cooler might be loose or leaking.
Old 12-21-10, 06:09 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I would drive it at least 30 mins. Then at a leveled ground, shift into all gears then check the level
You are absolutely right! I am embarressed...I must have checked it a little too early and got panic'd. It is pretty damn cold here in NY especially in the mornings. I "assumed" that when the engine temp is normal then the tranny MUST be at operating temp as well.

I drove the car for about 10 minutes from being cold and as soon as the engine temp got up to normal operating temp I checked the tranny fluid while the car was running and noticed it was below the low mark...this is what freaked me out; especially since I had the whole tranny pan issue a couple of weeks back.

I drove it home last night from work VERY cautiously. When I got home (after about 30+ minutes of driving) I re-checked the tranny fluid level about 4 times (to quadruple check myself - lol). The tranny fluid level is perfect...right at the high mark...while running and HOT.

As far as the smell in the cabin of my car...I forgot, I left a rag with some tranny fluid on it (from wiping the dipstick a bunch of times) in my trunk (in a bag). I guess the smell permiated (sp?) throughout the cabin of the car from the trunk area.

I WILL however still monitor it for the next couple of days.

On a side note, I DEFINITELY have a little tranny seepage coming from my tranny cooler where the "in" and "out" hoses connect and there is definitely some tranny fluid on the outside (face) of the tranny cooler itself (on the fins); not enough to visually leak on the ground though. I may have a slight hole in it; no big deal because I have another cooler on hand BNIB. I will take care of this soon though before it gets any worse.