GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Another starting issue thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10, 10:51 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Another starting issue thread

So I was driving my GS4 in to work today and followed my usual routine of driving down the freewe for about 20 minutes and then stopping at the donut shop (Tim Hortons) for my morning coffee and muffin. Picked up the coffee and muffin and headed on my way to work. As I approached the on ramp to get back on the freeway, I noticed that the outside temp gauge on the climate cluster was showing '--'. I thought this was odd so I pulled over and turned the car off thinking that a restart would reset the gauge. After turning the car off I tried to restart and all I got was a rapidly clicking sound, similar to trying to start the car with an almost dead battery. On a positive note the temperature reading did reset itself and now showed the correct outside temp (yippee!). I checked all the other electricals, lights, radio, heater fans, power windows and everything was working fine on battery power, but whenever I tried starting, I would only get the rapidly clicking sound. One other interesting phenomenon is that while trying to start the car, the instrument cluster backlighting will also be dimming and fluctuating in concert with the clicking sound.

I called a tow truck and he tried boosting the car and still it would only give the rapidly clicking sound. The engine does not turn over and the starter does ot engage. I don't believe the clicking is the starter solenoid. The clicking sound is more lick a relay clicking sound from the passengers die of the car. The battery is probably about 5 yrs. I believe the starter has about 50-60K (100k km) on it. The car has about 150k (235k km)
Had the car towed home and drove to work in my other car. ( trusty '92 Toyota Cressida with over 500k km). BTW the Cress is on the original starter motor, except I changed the starter solenoid at about 140k km.

Any thoughts on this being a starter, battery, alternator problem. I am hoping it is just a battery issue but the fact that the boost made no difference to the symptoms has me worried. Another issue could be wiring related but that would be odd given the car has not had any real wiring related work done in the fast 3-4 years. The battery terminals seem to be clean and tight. I did install a cheapo HID kit in the fog lights last week but that was one of those plug and play kits which only wires into the 9006 socket, no wire splicing, nor new relays or anything. I would be surprised if HID is the root of this issue.

Comments?

Last edited by newgsman; 11-12-10 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 11-12-10, 11:32 AM
criminalR1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with the starter...but try the battery first (it much easier to change)....both my 400's did the same thing the starters just went out of no where....the clicking from the pass side it prob the ignition relay in the kick panel....good luck..on gettin it worked out
Old 11-14-10, 03:01 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Update

I got home form work and tried the car again butnit had the same problem. Then I used my portable booster pack and the car fired right up. This was surprising since the tow boost had not effect at all. I dorve the car around the neighborhood and pulled back into the garage. Tried to start it and again just rapid clicking sound of some relay. Took the battery out and had it tested. The auto shop told me it wont take a charge. Bought a new battery from Costco ($67!!) and the car has been running fine for the past two days.

Gotta love those Costco batteries this is the third car I have put one in. The oldest one is about 5-6 years and still seems strong.