GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

window cracked :\

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 04:42 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window cracked :\

Hey guys, my window just cracked on my GS today.. car had been sitting for awhile in the garage and its been cold and after it warmed on and the heat turned on a crack developed.. i don't want to replace it with a cheap window but i do want to go through insurance, so how should i go about doing that and what do you guys recommend?? ps.. atleast i'll have a new shiny window lol
Old 02-01-10, 04:58 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

A friend of mine got his windows replaced by JN Philips Auto Glass. It didn't come out bad at all. If I were to get mine replaced, I'd go with them.
Old 02-01-10, 05:21 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam2562
Hey guys, my window just cracked on my GS today.. car had been sitting for awhile in the garage and its been cold and after it warmed on and the heat turned on a crack developed.. i don't want to replace it with a cheap window but i do want to go through insurance, so how should i go about doing that and what do you guys recommend?? ps.. atleast i'll have a new shiny window lol
Make sure you tell the glass people that your insurance company contracts that you want OEM. Otherwise, they will put some aftermarket glass on there, and it won't be that great.
Old 02-01-10, 05:25 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cpmd
Make sure you tell the glass people that your insurance company contracts that you want OEM. Otherwise, they will put some aftermarket glass on there, and it won't be that great.

thats what i was planning on doing.. and i hope they eal it up good too.. ive seen sum done n have more wind noise afterwards
Old 02-01-10, 05:41 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cpmd
Good advice, I tried to go about it when I ordered my windshield, the insurance company wasn't having it stating that "We aren't paying for any certain logos" basically, and said that that if I wanted "Toyota" glass, I had to pay the difference between the cheaper glass vs. OEM glass, which was like $800, so I told them to F themselves and just put on the glass for free.... Everyone says that there was rain repellent build into the windscreen, but have heard from countless glass people that isn't true.... So anyways, just thought I would let you know... As they explained to me there are 3 basic companies that make the Glass, everything that is produced pretty much comes through one of these makers... Good luck.
Old 02-01-10, 08:13 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Last year I got a stone chip which developed into a crack after a day or two. The chip was right at the edge of the windshield on the passenger side half way up the windshield. The crack started going across the windshield toward the driver's side for about four or five inches and then turned downward for another four or five inches. I went to a glass guy in Toronto who repaired the crack which was now about 10 or 11 inches long in total. It has been almost a year since the repair and the crack has not grown any longer than when it was repaired. The guy drilled holes at each end of the crack and filled them in with the chip repair compound. He then injected the same compound along the entire length of the crack.

So I managed to keep the original Toyota glass all be it with the crack. Cost me $75.
Old 02-01-10, 08:32 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam2562
thats what i was planning on doing.. and i hope they eal it up good too.. ive seen sum done n have more wind noise afterwards
Yeah I've heard that too, just make sure the people installing it are reputable, and even if they are, still make sure that the seals are placed in well. Drive it on the highway w/ no radio on etc. See if there is a diff. before and after. If so, contact them.

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Good advice, I tried to go about it when I ordered my windshield, the insurance company wasn't having it stating that "We aren't paying for any certain logos" basically, and said that that if I wanted "Toyota" glass, I had to pay the difference between the cheaper glass vs. OEM glass, which was like $800, so I told them to F themselves and just put on the glass for free.... Everyone says that there was rain repellent build into the windscreen, but have heard from countless glass people that isn't true.... So anyways, just thought I would let you know... As they explained to me there are 3 basic companies that make the Glass, everything that is produced pretty much comes through one of these makers... Good luck.
Thanks bro It depends on insurance companies, and the people you have to work with. I've had no hassles with mine (state farm). I had to replace my dad's corolla front glass. I made sure my dad told them he wants OEM. The glass company just told him that it will take a week or so extra b/c they have to order it in. That's pretty dumb for your insurance company to say that they "...aren't paying for logos", and an extra $800 is b.s. lol. But you responded well. Either aftermarket or OEM, the deductible for us is still $50.
Old 02-01-10, 08:42 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

yea my deductible is just $50.. had to use it on a rental once lol.. i've gotta call the insurance company tomorrow.

Thanks guys for your help