GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bumper trim.. gone or non-existant?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 01:37 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
This trim is available on Ebay. I bought one and is perfect...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-05...Q5fAccessories
Hey you calm down! Just kidding... Yea, when I read on here that AutoZone carried it, I was pissed! I hadnt the slightest clue that they carried it, yet alone carried anything that would actually work. For you CL guys to say it works and looks good... I'm gonna have to check it out. I payed that stupid price for all of mine when I got the car painted
not upset....woulda been nice if OP had searched though. i found tons of info on this.

if u gonna buy one from pep boys,napa, or someplace make sure its 3/8" thick though

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-meguiars.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...mper-trim.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...round-car.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-strip-2.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-molding.html

tons more, just have to search next time OP

although i cant find the one post i wanted where a member showed a bag he got from pepboys and etc etc
Old 01-25-10, 09:42 PM
Chumacher
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your car probably got rear ended and the previous owner repainted it.
Old 01-27-10, 01:15 AM
JL626
Driver School Candidate

I ran into the same problem as you. My chrome trim turned gray and I tried sanding it down with the turtle wax headlight cleaner kit but it didn't bring the chrome back. I ended up removing the old chrome trim and giving the Autozone chrome trim a try. I would say it came out better than I expected. If you are looking into changing the trim without spending over $17, you should look into the Autozone chrome trim. Make sure you purchase the 1/4 inch, not the 3/8
Old 01-27-10, 12:50 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL626
I ran into the same problem as you. My chrome trim turned gray and I tried sanding it down with the turtle wax headlight cleaner kit but it didn't bring the chrome back. I ended up removing the old chrome trim and giving the Autozone chrome trim a try. I would say it came out better than I expected. If you are looking into changing the trim without spending over $17, you should look into the Autozone chrome trim. Make sure you purchase the 1/4 inch, not the 3/8
per this thread below and per Henry's post, it's #4 in the topic (i trust Henry, no offense i don't know either of you but i really don't know you as you a fairly new member.i am familiar with Henry and his opinions/expertise and normally spot on)

i would use the 3/8" strips

Originally Posted by GSteg
1/2" is too wide for the OEM bumper. 3/8" is your best bet. The only difference is that the OEM stuff sits more flush because the adhesive section is thicker. Those who dont know wont be able to tell, unless that person is a CL'er and he/she is standing really close to it.

Last edited by sakataj; 01-27-10 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-27-10, 02:53 PM
JL626
Driver School Candidate

Originally I bought the 3/8 and tried to put it on but it was too thick so I had to go exchange it for the 1/4.
Old 01-28-10, 11:27 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL626
Originally I bought the 3/8 and tried to put it on but it was too thick so I had to go exchange it for the 1/4.
hmmm...i will have to measure this and see which one will work for sure. get back to you'll soon

edit: just measured its DEF 3/8 and not 1/4

Last edited by sakataj; 01-28-10 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-28-10, 11:51 AM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj
hmmm...JL626 if 3/8 was to thick there is NO way 1/4 will work as 3/8 is smaller than 1/4 so im not sure what you talking bout. i will have to measure this and see which one will work for sure. get back to you'll soon

edit: just measured its DEF 3/8 and not 1/4
Wait, did you just say 3/8 is smaller than 1/4?
Old 01-28-10, 12:27 PM
importhope
Lead Lap

lol, math just another thing your not good at sakataj.

The bumper molding is one of those small details that once you notice it, it will bother you until it matches... just me? And now its something that stands out to me on other GS's I look at. I got mine from the dealer, perfect match and easy install since it comes adhesive backed... but would have loved to save some money and gotten it from Autozone if I would have known.
Old 01-28-10, 12:39 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by c4lvin
Wait, did you just say 3/8 is smaller than 1/4?
hahaha oops sorry....yes i did. i was thinking of 3/16" being smaller than a 1/4" but i have now measure this twice and it is DEF 3/8"

i will correct my post bout 3/8 being smaller than 1/4 lol

Originally Posted by importhope
lol, math just another thing your not good at sakataj.

The bumper molding is one of those small details that once you notice it, it will bother you until it matches... just me? And now its something that stands out to me on other GS's I look at. I got mine from the dealer, perfect match and easy install since it comes adhesive backed... but would have loved to save some money and gotten it from Autozone if I would have known.
haha. oh really, what else am i not good at? yes OEM will be a perfect match but you will pay that price for it. i will be picking up some from napa or someplace just to confirm this if for anything my own piece of mind lol.

Last edited by sakataj; 01-28-10 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-28-10, 12:54 PM
young's 96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey you calm down! Just kidding... Yea, when I read on here that AutoZone carried it, I was pissed! I hadnt the slightest clue that they carried it, yet alone carried anything that would actually work. For you CL guys to say it works and looks good... I'm gonna have to check it out. I payed that stupid price for all of mine when I got the car painted
^lol mr jokster your are crazy
Old 01-28-10, 05:15 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I have noticed my front bumper and rear bumper silver trim is also more of a light grey color while the same strip on the sides is definitely chrome. I have checked out other GSs and it is the same. I have tried polishing it with PlasticX and chrome metal cleaner but it appears the finish is a little different and not chromed and most likely came from the factory like that. Anybody know for certain it is supposed to be chrome just like the side trim and if so why it turns light grayish while the rest is perfectly chromed? To me that light grayish silver trim on the front and rear bumper looks like the original OEM color and does not just look faded.
Old 01-28-10, 09:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I will check for the size of the strip. Let me search around for the box if I still have it. Then again realize that lots of brands out there are inconsistent with their dimensions.
Old 02-12-10, 07:59 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

have not forgot about this, although the thread seemed to have died down. im putting this on my list of stuff to pick up today....along with oil
Old 03-10-10, 08:33 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

havent forgot bout this, i actually searched o'reillys, autozone,advance and napa's site but didnt find anything that shows potential. anyone have a link or a place to get some 3/8" chrome trim?
Old 03-17-10, 02:01 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

so anyone have a link or a place to find some 3/8" chrome trim?

Quick Reply: Bumper trim.. gone or non-existant?