GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Can I use my 4 gauge "audio" wire to hook up my alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-09, 01:08 PM
BklynJay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default *Update*

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Watch out with the ebay high amp alternators. I had problem with mine. I had to send it in twice before I got a working one.
Installed it with my boy in an hour and half. Longest part was crimping the 4 gauge wire to the end metal ring to ground. It would've taken probably an hour. Started the car fine and no more battery light or almost dying of my baby. *BUT* the issue with my system is still there. The alternator is better that I was able to push the volume to 60 but still would cut off. The **** on the JL audio 500/1 is max down and on the HU to practically low too. This blows! I'm not an audio freak like that to mess around with it since I took it to a shop. But the shop is all the way in Jersey City where I have no time to drop it off *hassle*.

Meaning that I'm not getting the full potential somewhere in the car. Right now, as long as the car runs I'm content.

FYI - System was professional installed. I do have a large capacitor, now a H/O alternator and Yellow top Optima Battery.

*Eclipse HU
*Forgot what speakers set I have inside.
*Alteast 5 Farad Capacitor
*JL 13w6
*JL 500/1
*JL 300/4
Old 09-21-09, 01:28 PM
GCOP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BklynJay
Installed it with my boy in an hour and half. Longest part was crimping the 4 gauge wire to the end metal ring to ground. It would've taken probably an hour. Started the car fine and no more battery light or almost dying of my baby. *BUT* the issue with my system is still there. The alternator is better that I was able to push the volume to 60 but still would cut off. The **** on the JL audio 500/1 is max down and on the HU to practically low too. This blows! I'm not an audio freak like that to mess around with it since I took it to a shop. But the shop is all the way in Jersey City where I have no time to drop it off *hassle*.

Meaning that I'm not getting the full potential somewhere in the car. Right now, as long as the car runs I'm content.

FYI - System was professional installed. I do have a large capacitor, now a H/O alternator and Yellow top Optima Battery.

*Eclipse HU
*Forgot what speakers set I have inside.
*Alteast 5 Farad Capacitor
*JL 13w6
*JL 500/1
*JL 300/4
do both amps shut down or just the 500/1 ?
Old 09-21-09, 01:45 PM
BklynJay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GCOP
do both amps shut down or just the 500/1 ?
Just the 500/1 when blasting my speakers still plays but the sub shuts off so as I turn down the volume the sub will kick back in. I'll double check if the sub actually does turn off after work today.
Old 09-21-09, 02:02 PM
GCOP
Driver

Just the 500/1 when blasting my speakers still plays but the sub shuts off so as I turn down the volume the sub will kick back in. I'll double check if the sub actually does turn off after work today.
that is going to be an impeadence issue...IMHO if it were a current issue, both amps would shut down.
Old 09-21-09, 05:42 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
yeah to bad it wont fit the gs430

and the arragi are pricey but worth every cent
Yea, however when he goes on ebay he has 2 different models a 140 amp and 200 amp IIRC, the 140 (which is plenty ) is about the same as what he payed for this one

that is going to be an impeadence issue...IMHO if it were a current issue, both amps would shut down.
not really the impedance is not an issue with JL amps; thats what makes it such a bad a$$ amp!! regardless what impedance you throw at it between 1.5 and 4.0 (iirc) and it will run at 1000 watts. now with the 13w6 being a dual 4 ohm woofer, you cant get any lower than 2ohms but even with voltage drop, those amps can run down to 11v no prob. I'm still about it though, amps DO shut down (clip) from voltage drop though and if it does drop low enough they would both shut down, however a full range amplifier at high volume only runs on a few amps of draw so it may keep going. Hope this alternator does help.
Old 09-21-09, 06:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Where did they ground the amps?
Old 09-21-09, 07:13 PM
GCOP
Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Yea, however when he goes on ebay he has 2 different models a 140 amp and 200 amp IIRC, the 140 (which is plenty ) is about the same as what he payed for this one

not really the impedance is not an issue with JL amps; thats what makes it such a bad a$$ amp!! regardless what impedance you throw at it between 1.5 and 4.0 (iirc) and it will run at 1000 watts. now with the 13w6 being a dual 4 ohm woofer, you cant get any lower than 2ohms but even with voltage drop, those amps can run down to 11v no prob. I'm still about it though, amps DO shut down (clip) from voltage drop though and if it does drop low enough they would both shut down, however a full range amplifier at high volume only runs on a few amps of draw so it may keep going. Hope this alternator does help.
I was thinking he had a pair....
Old 09-21-09, 08:01 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I was thinking he had a pair....
Gotcha makes sense.
Old 09-22-09, 09:44 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

actually the 140 ISNT enough for me....i have a 7000 watt audio system

Last edited by sakataj; 10-18-10 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-22-09, 10:32 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had a 150 amp alternator on my old LS and it used a 4 gauge wire from the battery terminal to the alternator and 4 gauge the rest of the way.
Old 09-22-09, 03:22 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

how long have you had your system again? another possibility is that the woofer may be going out (long shot) and the coil is arcing itself on the inside. Do you have a voltage meter to watch your voltage as you play? (if your HU is a navi, it should have one) check your voltage and see if it drops low. As I said earlier, I really dont think thats the problem. Also, try removing the capacitor, those things cause more problems than help and definitely not needed for such a low volume system. When the amp goes out, which light goes on on the amp? Wheres the gain of your amp; should only be at 3/4 max. How high does your deck go to? You shouldnt go past 60%-70% of its gain cause that too will cause clipping. um.. :um: what else?.... again, how long have you had the system and how long after did all this happen?
Old 09-22-09, 09:32 PM
#1gs300
Lead Lap

how long have you had your system again? another possibility is that the woofer may be going out (long shot) and the coil is arcing itself on the inside. Do you have a voltage meter to watch your voltage as you play? (if your HU is a navi, it should have one) check your voltage and see if it drops low. As I said earlier, I really dont think thats the problem. Also, try removing the capacitor, those things cause more problems than help and definitely not needed for such a low volume system. When the amp goes out, which light goes on on the amp? Wheres the gain of your amp; should only be at 3/4 max. How high does your deck go to? You shouldnt go past 60%-70% of its gain cause that too will cause clipping. um.. :um: what else?.... again, how long have you had the system and how long after did all this happen?
I totally agree with getting rid of the capacitor they dont do much of anything i strongly beleive if u remove the cap and maybe replace with an battery u dont bhave to replace it depending on the power that ur running. I had the same problem years ago when i use to compete caps are a big thumbs down. i didnt read every body post in this thread but i did see someone talking about a irragi alt, I've known dominick for about 8 yrs ive ordered in my last set up yrs ago an 140 amp alt, with the external regulator, and rectifier from him, and i currently have an 180 amp alt with a smaller pulley. On it forget the size. Dominick is the best when it comes to high output alts he knows his shi&. I have no problems running 2 mmats 2200.1 off a 180amp alt and 2 kinetik 2400's in the tire well, pushing 2 digital designs 3512 series subs. withe a crazy box design. In my 98 lex gs3.
Old 09-22-09, 09:59 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Might just be your amp dyeing on you. Try swaping for another amp (1/500) see what happen. If it does not shut off than it is just your amp. But if the new amp still shut off try going with another more powerful amp for your setup.

If worse come to worse just tune your HU down a bit a bit.