GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I need some A/C advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 09:01 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I need some A/C advice

I have a '99 that has 155k miles on it and my A/C button on the NAV screen started flashing, then a message came up saying something about "check the A/C unit" blah blah.

So, I finally take the car to the local stealership and the service rep. tried something I've never seen before. He grabbed the front part of the compressor, he called it the clutch or 'magnet', and he tried to turn it.
He said it should turn freely but mine does not!

So, I left it for their service department and the diagnosis so far is that I need a new A/C clutch AND compressor for a whopping $1300 + $360 for labor. Ouch!

The car probably has around 250 miles on it since that A/C light started flashing.

I'm mechanically inclined enough to do any replacement work as long as no super special tools are needed. Can I do this myself? Do I really need a compressor or can I get by with just the clutch?!??
I don't mind doing the work and then taking it in for a freon check/fill.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by BA_GS400; 06-17-09 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-18-09, 10:26 AM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

crazy how much traffic is here these days! I like it.

No A/C experts around or anyone who's had to replace the compressor or the clutch? I didn't even realize there were two parts to it until they described it to me!
Old 06-18-09, 11:33 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Just replace the whole compressor with a used one for the cheapest route. You can do this yourself if you have the tools. The only special tool you will need is the AC gauge set and vacuum pump to vacuum and recharge the system after you take it apart. I would suggest getting your refrigerant evacuated at a shop instead of into the atmosphere, because one pound of R134 is eqivalent to 1700lbs of CO2 in terms of greenhouse gas release. The GS ac has approx 1.5lbs of R134 in the charge. Then again some people don't care, so its all on you lol.

Fun fact: Almost everyone has released R134 into the atmosphere all the time in great quantities without even knowing. Many aerosol cans are propelled by R134. If you ever bought a bottle of "canned air" to dust out the computer...that entire bottle is straight R134

Anyways back to the original subject at hand. You can fix it yourself with a used compressor for around $300 or so depending on how cheap you pick up the compressor for. The vacuum pump you can rent at most automotive parts stores for free. The gauge set will cost around $50-100 or so for a light duty set(cheap gauge sets works fine and are accurate, just not meant for heavy everyday use like in a shop). Other than that, you just need some basic ratchets, sockets, and wrenches. You will also need around 25oz or so of R134 and also some oil for the compressor as well.

Good luck on your AC adventures!
Old 06-19-09, 09:08 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Jeff. Have you ever replaced a compressor? I picked up a used compressor, but the dealer is telling me that they need to charge 7 hours of shop time to replace it. They said they need to remove the front bumper and take apart other things to get to it. Any idea if they're right?

e
Old 06-21-09, 11:28 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Just replace the whole compressor with a used one for the cheapest route. You can do this yourself if you have the tools. The only special tool you will need is the AC gauge set and vacuum pump to vacuum and recharge the system after you take it apart. I would suggest getting your refrigerant evacuated at a shop instead of into the atmosphere, because one pound of R134 is eqivalent to 1700lbs of CO2 in terms of greenhouse gas release. The GS ac has approx 1.5lbs of R134 in the charge. Then again some people don't care, so its all on you lol.

Fun fact: Almost everyone has released R134 into the atmosphere all the time in great quantities without even knowing. Many aerosol cans are propelled by R134. If you ever bought a bottle of "canned air" to dust out the computer...that entire bottle is straight R134

Anyways back to the original subject at hand. You can fix it yourself with a used compressor for around $300 or so depending on how cheap you pick up the compressor for. The vacuum pump you can rent at most automotive parts stores for free. The gauge set will cost around $50-100 or so for a light duty set(cheap gauge sets works fine and are accurate, just not meant for heavy everyday use like in a shop). Other than that, you just need some basic ratchets, sockets, and wrenches. You will also need around 25oz or so of R134 and also some oil for the compressor as well.

Good luck on your AC adventures!
jeff's right here
trust me, nowadays its easier/cheaper normally to replace the whole compressor than to rebuild them. if the clutch fan is out just replace the compressor. although i have rebuilt a few in my life i would always much rather replace them. although being in the HVAC-R field im biased on the freon used.

i recommend a freon called hotshot aka 414-b
Old 06-21-09, 05:27 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

also some airsoft guns use 134a gas (Duster gas) while the rest use propane (Green Gas)

on to the topic! hehe
Old 06-21-09, 11:24 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

The compressor cost is about $653 and the labor is about 3 hrs.

So first it was R-12, then R134A, and now there is a new one.. Which vehicle uses it??
Old 06-24-09, 04:30 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
The compressor cost is about $653 and the labor is about 3 hrs.

So first it was R-12, then R134A, and now there is a new one.. Which vehicle uses it??
since we dont handle ALOT of automotive freon im unaware of a "new one" got any clue on the alpha numerical code it uses?