GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone else notice the cluster (dash) back lighting seems dim?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-08, 07:22 PM
TexusLexas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I thought it was just me, but the gauges DOES seem dim....too dim actually. This is even with the switch turn all the way up. Anyone has thoughts on how to address this problem?
Old 12-02-08, 08:55 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flipish
am i the only weirdo that turns off my gauge cluster so i can enjoy the having a pitch black cabin?
+1 .......
Old 12-02-08, 11:20 PM
98_pullnem
Driver School Candidate

lol

i was just gnna post a thread about this myself. it dims form time t time and sumtimes its bright like in the daytime.
Old 12-02-08, 11:43 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm , so it seems it is a bit dim and worse when it is colder. I thought it was odd as it seems worse that it did a few weeks ago , i only drive it occasionally plus i have only had it for a month.
Old 12-03-08, 06:10 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance
In my 03 GS430 i notice the gauges are really dim at night compared to anything else i have driven .
Is it just me or everyone has the same thing or feeling.
BTW i have turned up the dimmer switch .
Also i did not take pics as they are going to be off since the light is variable and unable to use a baseline.
Let me try and shed some light (pun not intended), as the GS uses a different system then the LS, sensor wise that is.

In the LS, you can crank up the intensity as you like (even to day time intensity at night), but on the GS, there is a sensor on the dash the adjusts the back light without you being able to do much about it. To illustrate what i mean, get a strong flashlight and shine it on the sensor above the instrumental cluster at night, and watch the dash light glow!!

Because of the nature of the white back lighting, Lexus decided to let us some adjustment, but not all the way back to daytime mode if desired. So the dash adjusts (VERY SLOWLY) to outside light to the point where you cant notice it unless you use a sudden source of strong lighting.

You will also notice, that after driving very a really long time 5hrs+, the center speedo circle will be dimmer then the other two.
Old 12-03-08, 06:38 AM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

Agree!, it is dim. But in the day its bright. There's a sensor on the dash that reads if its day or night.
Old 12-03-08, 07:39 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This always annoyed me. I'm getting the sensor removed, and having the back lighting stay bright all the time
Old 12-03-08, 07:48 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

never really paid attention to it, I bet tonight when i get in the car now its gonna bugg the hell outta me, just because i know now lol
Old 12-03-08, 07:49 AM
derricklee
Driver

Originally Posted by UncleRay
This always annoyed me. I'm getting the sensor removed, and having the back lighting stay bright all the time
please share with us once you figure out how to do this.
Old 12-03-08, 08:10 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipish
am i the only weirdo that turns off my gauge cluster so i can enjoy the having a pitch black cabin?
No, you aren't...
Old 12-03-08, 08:13 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rippaflow
no, you aren't...
+2..........
Old 12-05-08, 05:28 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So is there a way to bypass that sensor? Is it a couple wires that go to it or a harness-full? This could be cool!
Old 12-05-08, 12:22 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
So is there a way to bypass that sensor? Is it a couple wires that go to it or a harness-full? This could be cool!
Problem is, for those of us with navi we would be stuck with DAYTIME mode alllll the time, and that screen can be blinding at night.
Old 12-05-08, 02:20 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

The instrument lights on my 99 G4 do seem to be fading. I noticed this last night driving home. I've owned the car 10 years week after next, and the instruments are much dimmer than they used to be. I would expect a few cabin lights and switches to have failed by now, but so far it just been a couple of dash lights and the seat heater switch light that has gone out. Seems like the instrument lights could be upgraded to restore brightness.
Old 12-05-08, 06:44 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexamatic
Seems like the instrument lights could be upgraded to restore brightness.
Are they really cathode tubes?? Or are they the electro luminescent indiglo type? If they are the cathode type I dont see why you couldn't put one of those cold cathode tubes in.
I haven't pulled my cluster apart yet but im sure it can be done, anybody got a picture of the back of the speedometer, tachometer etc??? That would answer alot of question about the feasability of replacing the tubes.

Quick Reply: Anyone else notice the cluster (dash) back lighting seems dim?