GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Moonroof rattle (not the usual one) with PIX -- help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 07:54 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Moonroof rattle (not the usual one) with PIX -- help please

Hey guys. After almost 3 years, I've finally located the source of this annoying click/rattle coming from above the front passenger seat. I've basically torn apart the entire right side of the car to find it, but I've finally pinpointed it. The problem now, though, is that I can't figure out how to make it go away.

Everyone knows that when the moonroof is closed it has a small amount of play to it (if you didn't know this, just keep a close eye on the moonroof when you close your door and you'll see it move up slightly from the air pressure in the cabin). Anyway, the click/rattle only happens when I go over bumps, and usually only when the bump is on the right side of the car. I can replicate the noise by pushing up sharply on the moonroof from the inside of the car. It's basically a plastic on metal type click. When the moonroof is tilted open, the noise completely goes away (and, not surprisingly, the moonroof has no play to it in the tilted up position).

Here's the culprit. There's a hinge on each side of the moonroof that allows the moonroof to tilt up. In the up position, the hinge is locked. In the closed position, though, the hinge has a fraction of play to it and clicks when pressure is applied to it (either by me or in the form of a bump). So here's the question. How on earth do I get the hinge to stop clicking? Do you think it can be insulted with some felt somehow without disrupting the operation of the tilt feature? Here's a picture of the hinge I'm talking about (and yes, I removed the black plastic garnishes from around the underside of the moonroof because I thought that those were causing the noise):

Last edited by e-man; 03-10-08 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-10-08, 08:06 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my rattle goes away after I just push up on the moonroof visor from inside the cabin. goes away for about 1/2 hour then comes back. I just simply push up again. problem solved.
Old 03-10-08, 08:22 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lettuce
my rattle goes away after I just push up on the moonroof visor from inside the cabin. goes away for about 1/2 hour then comes back. I just simply push up again. problem solved.
What is the moonroof visor? Are you referring to the sliding sun shade? If so, that's not what I'm talking about. I know the rattle/ticking noise that can come from the sliding sun shade, and that's really annoying too. I was able to solve that problem by taking Rominl's advice (in the main "moonroof rattle" thread) and wedging some foam between the sliding sun shade and the rail that it rides on.

This rattle has nothing to do with the sun shade. This is definitely coming from the moonroof itself and the fact that it is able to move up and down slightly when the moonroof is closed.
Old 03-10-08, 09:51 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

thats what I was referring to. the sunshade slider thingy. I will try to do what you suggested to fix that problem
Old 03-10-08, 09:54 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lettuce is right about hte slider thing,it slides out after driving, then I push it in and its fine again...
Old 03-10-08, 09:57 PM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

I have a rattle problem with my LS.

A just open the roof completely (not tilted) and close it back up and it goes away. The rattle only happens when the roof has been tilted and closed again.
Old 03-10-08, 10:00 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

This is an easy fix for me. Volume = higher!
Old 03-10-08, 10:06 PM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

Originally Posted by sleeper408
This is an easy fix for me. Volume = higher!

Haha.
Old 03-10-08, 10:18 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BiGLeX 400
I have a rattle problem with my LS.

A just open the roof completely (not tilted) and close it back up and it goes away. The rattle only happens when the roof has been tilted and closed again.
Thanks. I tried that too, but the rattle persists. Again, though, it's only over bumps and it's definitely because the moonroof has some play designed into it. If I could figure out a way to insulate the hinge, I'd be set.

Just to be clear guys, I'm not talking about the sliding sunshade here. I'm talking about the roof itself.

Lettuce -- let me know if you need help finding the sunshade rattle thread. Hold on a second while I search . . . here it is:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...sunroof+rattle
Old 03-10-08, 10:33 PM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

Originally Posted by e-man
Thanks. I tried that too, but the rattle persists. Again, though, it's only over bumps and it's definitely because the moonroof has some play designed into it. If I could figure out a way to insulate the hinge, I'd be set.

Just to be clear guys, I'm not talking about the sliding sunshade here. I'm talking about the roof itself.

Lettuce -- let me know if you need help finding the sunshade rattle thread. Hold on a second while I search . . . here it is:
Just do like I did in my POS E36 BMW. Put a piece of foam or some cardboard up there! LOL.

Seriously though I hope someone can help you out.

Are there any adjustment screws anywhere? I've never looked up there so I don't know.
Old 03-11-08, 09:13 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

eric,

as funny as it may sound, but u might want to try some computer thermal grease, the stuff you use between the cpu and heatsink. i've actually gotten rid of some creak noises with that stuff and it does not dry up. let me know if it works if you do try it.
Old 03-11-08, 07:19 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver
eric,

as funny as it may sound, but u might want to try some computer thermal grease, the stuff you use between the cpu and heatsink. i've actually gotten rid of some creak noises with that stuff and it does not dry up. let me know if it works if you do try it.
Hey Karl. It's been a while. Hope all is well.

Where would you put the grease? I took a closer look at the operation of what I thought was the hinge, but it's actually not a hinge. It's a sliding lever that tilts the moonroof up as it slides forward towards the front of the car, and allows the moonroof to come down as it moves backwards. I guess I could grease that piece on each side. But I'm not familiar with computer thermal grease. What is it and where can I get it?
Old 03-11-08, 08:12 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried to adjust the trox bolts? They are on either side of the car, the ones closest to the front and the back of the car. This adjusts the moon roof up and down by tightening or loosening. It may help the hinge noise. You have to remove the clips first but I guess that the clips could be your problem also.
Old 03-11-08, 08:17 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BCP43002
Have you tried to adjust the trox bolts? They are on either side of the car, the ones closest to the front and the back of the car. This adjusts the moon roof up and down by tightening or loosening. It may help the hinge noise. You have to remove the clips first but I guess that the clips could be your problem also.
I don't want to mess around with the bolts. I don't think the moonroof is out of adjustment. It is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. It has play built into it that allows it to move slightly when the body flexes. The problem, though, is that it rattles when it does it.

When you say the "clips," are you referring to the black plastic garnishes? If so, those are already off. I took them off a few days ago.

I think it might be those ultra-hard 1 year old Dunlop 3Ds that are exacerbating the problem. How are yours holding up?
Old 03-12-08, 05:00 AM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I did mean the garnishes. I haven't had any problems with the tires. They also have not seen snow. My rebate finally came in last week. Did you get yours?

Quick Reply: Moonroof rattle (not the usual one) with PIX -- help please