Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Old 08-12-13, 12:16 PM   #1006
wbmx1981
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyKeeper View Post
I did ChrisWinnn's actuators this weekend. Took about 3.5hrs in the texas heat. Hardest part is getting the rear actuators out of the doors. Trick is to take a long screwdriver or use your hand/finger if you can fit it in the door to push down the lever that engages the door handles. You DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE WINDOWS OR REAR DOOR HANDLES.
What part of texas?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
wbmx1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-13, 02:21 PM   #1007
KeyKeeper
Driver

Jarrell, just north of Georgetown.
KeyKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-13, 02:27 PM   #1008
KeyKeeper
Driver

Oh, and one other note....DISCONNECT THE FREAKIN BATTERY!!!! If you dont the window will try to roll itself down when you stick the actuator back into the door (smaller rod gets pushed down and the computer thinks you have inserted the key and held to unlock). You could wait till you get it all mounted up before plugging it in but its a total pain in the *ss this way. The small plug is nearly impossible to get to once the actuator is in the door. Not to mention, the alarm/horn will go off when you plug it in anyways making your neighbors really happy with you
KeyKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 08:53 AM   #1009
MNchiver
Driver School Candidate

For an old post, this is still priceless... I had no idea what I was doing going into this and I was able to replace my actuator out of the front pass side in a couple hours... it also had a broken plastic piece that hooked to the actual door lock but thanks to members advice, a simple paperclip wrapped around it now leaves the door operating like new! Thank you all!!!
MNchiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-13, 04:47 PM   #1010
PETERPAN20
Driver School Candidate

Default Heat up the edges to melt the glue

The white plastic clam shell motor housing is glued together.

Use a hair dryer on HOT. Heat a long line along the long straight edge. That would melt the glue so you can pry open a spot easily with a knife blade.

Repeat heating a few other spots until open the shell.

That would preven breaking the plastic shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexuseng View Post
I just completed the rear door actuator motor replacement. Really kudo's for all that submitted as they learned. The rear door panel was really easy to remove, didn't break any of the snaps that I have done in the past. After removing the screws to remove the actuator, lift the door handle from the outside to ease the assembly out. The actual motor casing is a sealed unit and is easy to break. The 2 case halves are tongue and groove and bonded together. I used a utility knife between the case halves to cut through the tongue and groove. If you try to pry before you have cut through, you will only end up breaking the case. Give yourself 15 minutes to do the job, be careful not to cut yourself and you can get the case apart in 2 pieces. Makes it easier to glue back together. I thought of using a Dremel tool but after seeing how much grease is inside the unit, all the dust/debris from a Dremel tool would probably muck up the works. I did put a piece of foam tape on the side opposite the electrical contacts to give it more contact force (the original motor also had some foam tape on it). Oh yeah, the coupling is hard to get off but do it just like the picture. I bent a few nails (blunt them first). Took about 3 hours including a trip to the local hardware store for a Torx 30 bit so that plus the $1 motor saved me over $200!
PETERPAN20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-13, 04:49 PM   #1011
PETERPAN20
Driver School Candidate

Since this Mabuchi motor is used in RC cars, I suspect you can buy the flat shaft adapter at hobby shops that sell RC cars and accessories.

While you are there, the shop would liek have tool to remove the old adapter from the shaft.
Old 08-31-13, 04:51 PM   #1012
PETERPAN20
Driver School Candidate

Default heat up the edges to melt the glue

The pry it out with a sharp knife or flat-head screw driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGSPW View Post
The easiest way to crack open the housing is by using a safety blade and a small hammer (like a model hammer). Line the blade up straight between the two halves of the housing and slightly tap until the blade goes in. Go all around the housing until you can separate the two halves. Any other way is too much of a pain to do.
Old 09-26-13, 10:24 AM   #1013
tn96dc
Pole Position
Trader Score: (7)

anyone have an updated parts list?
Old 09-27-13, 05:06 PM   #1014
abounly
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (26)

So i'm confused AF

So i switched the actuator passenger front and pass rear. As I hooked up the front unit (that the actuator is in) the car wont lock by my keyfob. But if I was to unplug the unit (the actuator is in) the keyfob works. I checked the fuses etc. When I plug in the unit (the actuator is in) i can feel it lock, but other than that nothing else happens.

I'm super confused because it never happened to me.

Last edited by abounly; 09-27-13 at 05:20 PM..
abounly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 05:38 PM   #1015
Mark
Lead Lap

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by abounly View Post
So i'm confused AF

So i switched the actuator passenger front and pass rear. As I hooked up the front unit (that the actuator is in) the car wont lock by my keyfob. But if I was to unplug the unit (the actuator is in) the keyfob works. I checked the fuses etc. When I plug in the unit (the actuator is in) i can feel it lock, but other than that nothing else happens.

I'm super confused because it never happened to me.
I had that issue. I reversed the polarity of he actuator motor. Make sure the new motor spins in the same direction as the one.
Old 09-27-13, 06:26 PM   #1016
abounly
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I had that issue. I reversed the polarity of he actuator motor. Make sure the new motor spins in the same direction as the one.
Ah okay, I haven't given that a try yet. Also the thing was. I took out the motor and plugged in the unit, still same thing.

Anywhoo
I thought maybe everything needed to be put back together and it'll work (sometimes it just works that way). And so far it works perfectly fine. I'll report back if doesnt work.

Thanks for the quick response.

I read your thread earlier today on how to take out the rear actuator. Super easy
Old 09-30-13, 12:55 AM   #1017
abounly
Lexus Champion

Heres the quickest way to remove the actuators for front and rear

Front - Remove 4 t30 bolts, 2 hooks you unhook via door handle and some plastic piece. Remove 10mm window sill and the actuator should slide out.

Rear
Remove 4 T30 bolts. Pull on the WHITE cable string and maneuver the actuator out at the same time.

Thats really it.
Old 10-01-13, 07:51 AM   #1018
LayedOut
Rookie
Trader Score: (1)

Leigh_a_nidas

this DIY helped a bunch i paid like 10 bucks for all 4 actuators and while i pulled the door panels i put my diamond stitched inserts in.

now that my locks are working i notice when i put my key in the driver door and turn to unlock it does not auto unlock all the doors sometimes i have to turn the key several times so i want to get back in there and look at the latch assy again. the actuator works fine cause i can push the lock unlock button as many times as i want and it works fine

Great Diy here is a look at the diamond door panels i put in while i did the DIY
Attached Images

LayedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 08:30 AM   #1019
Mark
Lead Lap

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayedOut View Post
this DIY helped a bunch i paid like 10 bucks for all 4 actuators and while i pulled the door panels i put my diamond stitched inserts in.

now that my locks are working i notice when i put my key in the driver door and turn to unlock it does not auto unlock all the doors sometimes i have to turn the key several times so i want to get back in there and look at the latch assy again. the actuator works fine cause i can push the lock unlock button as many times as i want and it works fine

Great Diy here is a look at the diamond door panels i put in while i did the DIY
Please provide additional help the treat, by updating us with the links to where you purchased your parts.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 12:26 PM   #1020
LayedOut
Rookie
Trader Score: (1)

Leigh_a_nidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Please provide additional help the treat, by updating us with the links to where you purchased your parts.
price went up but still not to bad 20 bucks for all 4

if i link the ebay add it will expire so go to ebaymotors.com the sellers name is ZINKY86 View his ebay store and they are labeled
4 pc MABUCHI CAR DOOR LOCK MOTORS - DIY ACTUATOR REPAIR Lexus Toyota Ford Mazda
LayedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 12:26 PM

Tags
2000, 2008, 22125, 280, 280pt, 280pt22125, 3oo, actuator, clublexus, craigslist, diy, door, fc, fc280, fc280pt, fc280pt22125, gs, gs400, is, is350, lexus, lock, locking, mabuchi, motor, motors, number, part, replacement, sc