GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Fed up with the GS... Another "yellow" light goes on

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-06, 12:15 PM
BklynJay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fed up with the GS... Another "yellow" light goes on

I have my car for about 11 1/2 months now from NYBLKLEX and only put about 8k on the car. Right now I had my CEL on and it was P0135 02 Sensor. Two days before fixing that, VSC ABS VSC OFF light turns on then turned off by itself. So I go to Autozone and erase it out. But now it's back on again. I have my rear stabilizer bar off since I need new stabilizer links. Can this possibly affect those lights on? If not, I'm ready to get rid of this car and get a KIA! Yeah right, another Lex of course. Right now it's a 1999 with 90k on it. This is BS!

Can anyone help why it turns on and off by itself the VSC ABS VSC OFF lights. All at the same time by the way. They don't show by themselves!

Thanks guys for the inputs if any!
Old 09-16-06, 12:26 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you replaced the faulty o2 sensor yet? The system continually checks itself, if the sensor is "going" bad, it may work fine at times during the test and shut off your light. BUT, when it tests bad again it will come back on.

The other lights come on because those systems have no been disabled by the computer, it needs to let you know they are not active.

-Bill
Old 09-16-06, 12:43 PM
BklynJay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wdpower
Have you replaced the faulty o2 sensor yet? The system continually checks itself, if the sensor is "going" bad, it may work fine at times during the test and shut off your light. BUT, when it tests bad again it will come back on.

The other lights come on because those systems have no been disabled by the computer, it needs to let you know they are not active.

-Bill
Didn't quite understand what you meant when you said "The other lights come on because those systems have no been disabled by the computer, it needs to let you know they are not active".

They are disabled? How do I enable them? I replaced the O2 Sensor right now and erased the codes but after 4 miles they turned on again all 3 at the same time. Not sure what's going on. The car drives perfectly fine though! Thanks Bill though for the quick response.
Old 09-16-06, 12:57 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

I just noticed you said the ABS was on also. What I was saying is that when the check engine light comes on the computer may shut down the VSC and the Trac system, hence the lights coming on. If you have the ABS light on also you may have a problem in that system. Have you had any body codes pulled? They would be codes starting with a B instead of the typical P.

-Bill
Old 09-16-06, 01:14 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

when your computer throws a cel or code for anything relating to emmissions or fuel it will automatically disable vsc which will trigger abs , so all lights will light up like its christmas time
Old 09-16-06, 01:16 PM
Straight6
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

have you pulled the codes again? the o2 sensor should have nothing to do with your abs or vsc.. pull the codes again and see what you get..
Old 09-16-06, 02:08 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Straight6
have you pulled the codes again? the o2 sensor should have nothing to do with your abs or vsc.. pull the codes again and see what you get..
not extacly true , if you throw a code for o2 sensor which is related to emmissons then it will shut down vsc and abs its kinda like a safe mode to prevent premature or weird things from happening while driving
Old 09-16-06, 02:23 PM
Straight6
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
not extacly true , if you throw a code for o2 sensor which is related to emmissons then it will shut down vsc and abs its kinda like a safe mode to prevent premature or weird things from happening while driving

i stand corrected.. i guess our cars are more complicated than i thought.. i just cant see the reason for shutting down abs and vsc simply for a fauly o2 sensor.
Old 09-16-06, 03:35 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

The ABS does not get deactivated, it is independent of the engine. The VSC and/or Trac systems require the ECU to know everything the engine is doing. If your vehicle starts spinning your tires or sliding the engine needs to be cut back to regain control. The ECU monitors the engines sensors to know what needs to be done. If the CEL is on and depending upon which system is affected, the ECU will disable the other systems, it can not fully enable the traction control system becaus it does not know if it is gettig accurate readings from all the sensors needed to perform the function.

The ABS light being on is a seperate issue, yes the VSC light may come on with that system as well because the VSC and Trac do use the wheel sensors through the ABS module to detect spinning tires.

My sugestion, find out the codes for your ABS system next.

-Bill