GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is a valve adjustment needed on a 400?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 04:55 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is a valve adjustment needed on a 400?

Hey Guys,

I performed I search but didn't come up with any good leads.

I just had my car serviced at a local dealship. I asked the service advisor if a valve adjustment was needed. He stated that is was not. The reason I ask is because my car is quiet but not as quiet as say GS300. Is the 400 supposed to be whisper quiet like a 300? I noticed more the other day when a buddy of mine came by with his GS. I could hardly hear the car when it was running. On my car, you can hear the car running when you standing outside.

Thanks

Last edited by DjFergi; 03-07-06 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-07-06, 06:27 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DjFergi
Hey Guys,

I performed I search but didn't come up with any good leads.

I just had my car serviced at a local dealship. I asked the service advisor if a valve adjustment was needed. He stated that is was not. The reason I ask is because my car is quiet but not as quiet as say GS300. Is the 400 supposed to be whisper quiet like a 300? I noticed more the other day when a buddy of mine came by with his GS. I could hardly hear the car when it was running. On my car, you can hear the car running when you standing outside.

Thanks
From what i know GS400 V8 valve system is adjusted by oil pressure thus is not adjustable manualy, don't even bother just get used to it
Old 03-07-06, 08:18 AM
bazop
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I was told that the loud ticking noise my gs430 made was just noisy fuel injectors and now to worry about it. what this exactly is ,I don't know. If it is a squeaking noise, it could be the drive belt needs to be replaced. It's really easy to DIY, like 10 mins.
Old 03-07-06, 08:43 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ticking noise could be hydraulic lifters which automatically adjust for zero lash, at least in vehicles that have them, noise could be caused by a collapsed lifter. My GS300 does have some ticking noise..but i'm not too worried about it. If the engine had a noticible lope or erratic rpm, I would worry. Fuel injectors are valves which are activated by electrical solenoids many times per second, so they naturally 'tick', sometimes sounds like buzzing when the rpms are higher.
Old 03-07-06, 09:25 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

The ticking noise is not the noise I'm talking about. It's the overall noise level of the engine while it's operating. I might not be explaining myself correctly.

My buddy's gs3 while in park, is whisper quiet. You can't even hear the ticking from the injectors.

My gs4 is not whisper quiet when at idle. Whisper quiet that you come to expect from the Lexus brand.

My car is running perfectly, I was just curious to know if a valve adjustment was needed and if it would cure the noise level from my gs.

It's not bad, I was just wondeirng if it can made any quieter.

Thanks to all that posted. I appreciate the help.
Old 03-07-06, 09:47 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

300 horsepower is louder than 220, even at idle and even on a Lexus.
Old 03-07-06, 09:52 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
That's what I figured I just wanted to put my mind at ease.

Thanks again.
Old 03-07-06, 10:03 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
must win lottery...need more power
Old 03-07-06, 11:25 AM
ksu1998
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sockfocks
must win lottery...need more power

Thank you this made my day..!> LOL
Old 03-07-06, 11:54 AM
pianovt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ticking noise is not the noise I'm talking about. It's the overall noise level of the engine while it's operating. I might not be explaining myself correctly.

My buddy's gs3 while in park, is whisper quiet. You can't even hear the ticking from the injectors.

My gs4 is not whisper quiet when at idle. Whisper quiet that you come to expect from the Lexus brand.

My car is running perfectly, I was just curious to know if a valve adjustment was needed and if it would cure the noise level from my gs.

It's not bad, I was just wondeirng if it can made any quieter.

Thanks to all that posted. I appreciate the help.
Noise from excessive valve clearance is kind of similar to the injector noise or typewriter noise. It's a distinct tick, tick, tick ...

If it's not that kind of ticking noise, I would look into the serpentine belt. That is the belt driving the alternator, etc. Those do get noisy after some time. Other things that can become noisy are alternator bearings, water pump bearings and (hopefully not) noise from the timing belt path.
Old 03-07-06, 04:08 PM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pianovt
Noise from excessive valve clearance is kind of similar to the injector noise or typewriter noise. It's a distinct tick, tick, tick ...

If it's not that kind of ticking noise, I would look into the serpentine belt. That is the belt driving the alternator, etc. Those do get noisy after some time. Other things that can become noisy are alternator bearings, water pump bearings and (hopefully not) noise from the timing belt path.
Well, I just had the timing belt, water pump, and the serpenetine belt replaced. I actually noticed today that the car is much quieter. Is it possible that the belts needed to be broken in?

Thanks everyone
Old 03-07-06, 04:28 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I just had the timing belt, water pump, and the serpenetine belt replaced. I actually noticed today that the car is much quieter. Is it possible that the belts needed to be broken in?

Thanks everyone
the belt will sound a little different at different temps. it could also be the bearing in you serp belt tensioner. that started making noise in my car at 30k miles. I replaced the pulley and bearing and noise is gone.