GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First Mod! XM Roady XT

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-05, 07:48 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Mod! XM Roady XT

Here's my first mod to my 02 GS300 SportDesign. I added Roady XT this afternoon. I have the regular Premium Stereo with CD changer, so there are no Aux inputs to use. I'm using the built in FM modulator with great results.
The biggest pain was getting the antenna through the car and onto the trunk. I ended up removing the headrest bolts on the back seat and pulling the back of the seat forward enough to pull back the sound deadener on the passenger side. I fished the antenna wire though into the trunk where a stock loom goes.
I had a heckuva time with the panel clips on the side panels of the trunk. I gave up on those and pulled the back panel off to access the wire I fished through. The back panel is fastened with Dual Lock, so it was a snap to get off. (pun intended. )

Once I got the antenna wire into the trunk I ran it up the trunk hinge and set the antenna in place. The RoadyXT antenna is magnetic and sticks well. They recommend that it is placed as close to the FM antenna as possible, pretty handy that the antenna is on the window!

I fished the antenna all the way through the car under all the trim pieces. Once to the front of the car I removed the ash tray. For those that haven't removed the ash tray here's how...
Open the ashtray and grasp it firmly. Pull the entire assembly straight back rocking it slightly back and forth. The whole thing will come off, trim panel and all. It is all fastened with four snap clips that stay attached to the unit.

Once that was out I used a dremmel and carved out a little notch to lay the wires in so the ashtray didn't pinch them. I then wrapped the antenna and power wire in electrical tape to protect them. I laid them in the notch, then pushed the ashtray back in.

I didn't like any of the mounts that come with the Roady XT, so I just used two pieces of hook and loop to fasten it to the dash. No I can't use the ashtray unless I take out the Roady, but thats cool with me, I don't smoke!

Power was routed to the center console. (Temporary setup until I hardwire it in later). The cord is tucked under the center console and then comes up next to the passenger seatbelt and into the console. That is the only visible wire. And it's only 4"s!

The whole thing took two hours including registering at XM.com. It sounds very good. I had a hard time finding a station to tune to, but the one I found is working great.

Last edited by Chpsk8; 11-26-05 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-26-05, 08:19 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Old 11-27-05, 08:33 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm interested in satellite radio, my only misgiving is the sound quality. I had a 12 disc CD changer installed in an ES with an FM modulator and the sound quality didn't impress me. Not quite sure what the problem was but the sub frequencies and the high frequencies were attenuated (lowered) in fact FM sounded better than the CD's!! Does your install have CD quality sound?
Old 11-28-05, 05:25 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Sirius satellite in my car using the FM frequency and the sound was far from CD quality. So much of a difference in volume required that when I changed from FM to CD it would startle me.
Old 11-28-05, 06:45 AM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im about to got Sirius but I DONT WANT AN ANTENNA on the outside.My installer is checking a few things.He has a prototype interior mount I may try
Old 11-28-05, 05:32 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

The sound quality of this unit is far better than previous units I have listened to. There is a setting to adjust the power level of the modulator, so you can tune out any muddyness. I turned mine down one step from factory to eliminate low end distortion. This unit sounds better than FM, but maybe a notch below CD. I usually burn CD's so I'm not listening to a factory burn generally.
Stereo seperation is nice, very crisp and detailed. Lows are strong and tight. Highs are tight, but not tinny. Keep in mind its a basic system and I've only listened to it a couple weeks, so I really haven't fully explored the settings to optimize the system for depth and spatial sequencing. I'll set up my SPL meter in it this weekend to do some tuning (although the factory system is pretty limited, I should be able to tweak it a little)
Old 11-28-05, 06:06 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the reply...
Old 11-28-05, 06:23 PM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the XM MyFi. I tried it with the FM modulator and the tape cassette using the line out. There's no comparision, the cassette adaptor is much better. I can't tell the difference between the XM using cassette or a CD.

I just installed the newer small antenna on the rear package deck by the brake light, didn't string it outside. I don't have any problems with reception.

I got a bracket from:
http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/in...S&Category=430

I also ordered a hardwire power adapter:
http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/in...OD&ProdID=1990
Old 11-28-05, 07:51 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

I'm going to try the cassette this weekend. Figured I might as well try it. I have an idea to hide the wire behind the unit and have just a little tail sticking out of the player.
I've never used the cassette player or an adapter in this car. Does the player or adaptor make any noise? I remember back in the day using a cassette adaptor and in some cars it would make noise, enough to be really annoying.
I'll report back after I give it a few days of experimenting. It sure is nice to have 150 channels of music to choose from.
Old 11-28-05, 08:51 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

yeah the cassette idea sounds good...i know they have a superior sound quality to the fm modulator.
Old 11-29-05, 05:40 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chpsk8
...I remember back in the day using a cassette adaptor and in some cars it would make noise, enough to be really annoying....
I had the same memories. I fact, I wouldn't have tried the cassette if a co-worker hadn't straightened me out. You're going to notice a big difference. I can't tell the difference between a CD and my MyFi, it's that good.
Old 11-30-05, 09:53 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

ahh....placed the antenna near the brake light, I'm gonna go get a receiver and do this mod. Thanks for the info guys!!!
Old 11-30-05, 07:43 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Well I tried the cassette today. Not too bad! I didn't get a lot of seat time, but I did notice that on the two channels where I got some fuzz on the highs the cassette eliminated it. Ionly had about 20 minutes in the car tonight, so I didn't have too much time to really listen, (that and it's snowing like a mother here, so I was a little preoccupied). FWIW even in the snow with heavy clouds and the antenna covered completely I had full signal strength. Only when I pulled into my garage did it start to fade. When it isn't snowing I usually get full bars in the garage.

I'll report back on how close to CD quality it is now. :
Old 12-01-05, 06:07 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chpsk8
I'll report back on how close to CD quality it is now. :
Now, now, I said, "I can't tell the difference" not that it was CD quality. I don't listen to my stereo unless I'm actully driving, after a minimum performance level is exceeded, I can't tell the difference.