GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ordered Body Kit, etc.... advice needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-04, 10:37 AM
SPORTS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered Body Kit, etc.... advice needed!!!

Wasn't planning to do any upgrades until spring. Even then I was going to finalize my suspension mods with a couple pieces that I didn't have yet. A body kit is something that I was planning on down the road but then there was a deal I couldn't refuse with the GB on the Aero Kits from Carson Toyota. Since I was going to get the kit I added a few more items:

Aero Kit
TTE Lip
JDM rear apron
TRD front LCB
TOM's rear LCB
Brembo x-drilled and slotted rotors front and rear (from Hameed via Dex)
and some other minor mods.

I am waiting for the Tom's LCB and all the items are being shipped out together. I have several questions:

1. I saw Lexforlife's PS version of the JDM rear apron - looked really good in the combo. I did the search but I didn't find out who actually had it on their car (I know somebody does in black). I have several concerns, Bobby at Carson indicated that the Apron is just applied to the bottom of the bumper with 3m tape.
A. Does it look too much like an add on in real life?
B. Will it stay on with the 3m or should there be more fastening required?
C. I have L-tuned exhaust - any fittment issues?
D. How much work would it take to have the L-tuned exaust fit the L-sportline bumper?

2. I also like the look of the RMM grill better than the L-tuned grill but I am concerned about the fit and quality of the RMM. Is there any good applications to attach the "L" on the L-tuned grill without looking tacky?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-02-04, 11:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default Re: Ordered Body Kit, etc.... advice needed!!!

Originally posted by SPORTS
2. I also like the look of the RMM grill better than the L-tuned grill but I am concerned about the fit and quality of the RMM. Is there any good applications to attach the "L" on the L-tuned grill without looking tacky?
I don't see a good way, no. Having switched from the RMM to the L-Tuned grill I can say I don't miss the emblem at all now. One reason is because the mesh on the L-Tuned grill is SO nice looking in itself.
Old 01-02-04, 11:14 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Hey man congrats on the order, sounds like u have some nice stuff coming!!

I'll try to answer ur questions to the best of my ability

JDM rear- the look of it depends on the color of the car, Ed (lex4life) has black, so it will integrate pretty well due to the black color. On lighter colors it will be more noticeable
The attachment medium (3m tape) I don't know about, maybe have the bodyshop reinforce?

Exhaust, I think GSTRANCE has Ltuned or RMM with his lsportline rear so PM him

Grill- don't know of anyone that attached the "L" to the Ltuned grille, so good luck!!
Old 01-02-04, 11:44 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Exhaust, I think GSTRANCE has Ltuned or RMM with his lsportline rear so PM him
He has the RMM exhaust which extends a bit longer just linke the L-Sportline. The L-Tuned exhaust will be too short but any exhaust shop should be able to extend the pipe.
Old 01-02-04, 01:06 PM
phluid
Lead Lap

The fitment of my RMM grill sucked, I think i would of preferred the l-tuned grill.. If you are worried about the L then remember you still have one on the rear..
Old 01-02-04, 03:14 PM
SPORTS
Driver

Thank you for all the feedback. As far as the grill goes, I am not concerned about having the "L" on the front so people know it's a Lexus. I have a black car and aesthetically I like the way the "L" breaks up the sea of black. I think the L-tuned grill looks great on a silver car. I do think I will be happy with the L-tuned grill once it is on the car. I was considering different kits but I am after a subtle but more sporty look for the car as I still have the 17" OEM chromes on the car. I think the more aggresive kits wouldn't look right for me with this size of wheel. If I ever get other wheels, I don't think I will be going bigger than 18" anyway.
Old 01-02-04, 04:19 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by SPORTS
I was considering different kits but I am after a subtle but more sporty look for the car as I still have the 17" OEM chromes on the car. I think the more aggresive kits wouldn't look right for me with this size of wheel. If I ever get other wheels, I don't think I will be going bigger than 18" anyway.
I think you did the correct thing based on your wheel size! there are a couple members here that have the black Ltuned treatment and it looks good, like you said everyone knows the 2nd Gen GS when they see it!!

Post pics once everything is installed!
Old 01-02-04, 06:05 PM
SPORTS
Driver

Originally posted by DGOT20s
I think you did the correct thing based on your wheel size! there are a couple members here that have the black Ltuned treatment and it looks good, like you said everyone knows the 2nd Gen GS when they see it!!

Post pics once everything is installed!

My GS is away for the winter. As soon as the middle of March rolls around the mods are going on. I will definitely post pics. Thanks for your comments.
Old 01-02-04, 08:56 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

hey congrats on the big list of new mods coming in didn't Dex take the all meash grill and add the "L" 2 it? also the rmm does have a bad fitmant but it depends on u'r shop's work ability 2 get it 2 fir right or better than normal...mine has a little indent but its not that noticable .. i'm with u wanting the "L" in the front i gues i don't like the front 2 b imo plain, i like the clean look but if it were up 2 me i'd do a "L"...with the rear add on lip i would also just make a shop do some work 2 make it bolted on from the rear or something...not sure about that 3m tape holding soemthing that is going 2 have air flowing presure against it...good luck...
Old 01-03-04, 03:14 AM
SPORTS
Driver

Originally posted by bluelex
hey congrats on the big list of new mods coming in didn't Dex take the all meash grill and add the "L" 2 it? also the rmm does have a bad fitmant but it depends on u'r shop's work ability 2 get it 2 fir right or better than normal...mine has a little indent but its not that noticable .. i'm with u wanting the "L" in the front i gues i don't like the front 2 b imo plain, i like the clean look but if it were up 2 me i'd do a "L"...with the rear add on lip i would also just make a shop do some work 2 make it bolted on from the rear or something...not sure about that 3m tape holding soemthing that is going 2 have air flowing presure against it...good luck...
Thanks bluelex. When I first joined CL, your car was one of the first that I noticed with a bodykit and I thought it looked AWESOME. I wasn't familiar with bodykits at that time but that is probably one of the reasons that I was considering the RMM combo. As far as the L-tuned grill goes it is not an open mesh grill only, it has a middle bar running through it. I think applying an "L" would be more difficult (and probably not look right) than on flat mesh. I think I will see how much I like the L-tuned and if I am not 100% happy I might order the RMM after all (grill that is).
Old 01-03-04, 05:57 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thanx man....

i meant dex did the trd grill all mesh with the "L" in it...i can't c adding anything 2 the l-tuned grill....