GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Obsidian vs Ultra White

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-15, 08:45 PM
thedwp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksun
I was going to lobby for the black car, but I guess it's too late.

Congrats on the new ride!
If I had been there 5 more minutes, I'd prob have the black! But I'm really happy with the color combo I ended up with.
Old 06-09-15, 05:49 PM
mrpickm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My last car '11 Acura TL AWD was white...now I have the Obsidian F Sport...will see how it goes.
Old 06-09-15, 06:49 PM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's nice to have choices... You picked the right one IMHO (2013 Starfire F Sport). I was going to get a different color, read darker, but my black motorcycle is MORE than enough to maintain. The only way to own a black vehicle is to not be ****.
LOL at bclexus. You NAILED the black ownership experience!
Old 06-09-15, 07:25 PM
ITDude
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My last two cars were white, and was going to pick it again for my new GS. There were no white cars within several hundred miles that had all the options I wanted, so I opted for the Obsidian. I am ****, so I am hoping this experience will tone me down!

My wife and daughter have black cars, so I knew it was going to be a challenge!
Old 06-10-15, 12:54 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ITDude
My last two cars were white, and was going to pick it again for my new GS. There were no white cars within several hundred miles that had all the options I wanted, so I opted for the Obsidian. I am ****, so I am hoping this experience will tone me down!

My wife and daughter have black cars, so I knew it was going to be a challenge!
It's a frustrating and disheartening challenge sometimes. I'm in the same boat. Was looking for White/cab, settled for OB/cab.

My suggestion:

1. get 2-3 stage paint correction by a reputable detailer
2. xpel/suntek the full front
3. cquartz finest (or another coating) the entire car
4. always hand wash w/ 3 bucket technique
5. use metro blaster to dry
6. occasionally use reload

This will make things less frustrating as you'll retain a lot of the shine and gloss with proper washing.
Old 06-10-15, 02:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,002 Likes on 1,423 Posts

Originally Posted by popping
It's a frustrating and disheartening challenge sometimes. I'm in the same boat. Was looking for White/cab, settled for OB/cab.

My suggestion:

This will make things less frustrating as you'll retain a lot of the shine and gloss with proper washing.
Owning a black car is just not worth all the time and hassle to keep it nice looking in my opinion. I personally don't care for black cars anyway, even if brand new, mint condition. Black just reminds me of the 'black cars' in Manhattan, limousines, and hearses.
Old 06-11-15, 08:53 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
Owning a black car is just not worth all the time and hassle to keep it nice looking in my opinion. I personally don't care for black cars anyway, even if brand new, mint condition. Black just reminds me of the 'black cars' in Manhattan, limousines, and hearses.
Do i regret the color choice? Yes a little bit.. ok.. a lot. I don't regret the car though
Old 06-11-15, 10:38 AM
ITDude
Rookie

My suggestion:

Thanks for the tips! I hadn't heard of the metro blaster for drying. Is this better than my Toro leaf blower?
Old 06-11-15, 10:44 AM
ITDude
Rookie

Do i regret the color choice? Yes a little bit.. ok.. a lot. I don't regret the car though
I too regret my choice, but not a lot (yet). One of my cars was totaled in an accident, so I had to make a decision quick.

I rationalize that I got a better deal buying the black car on the lot than I would have got waiting for the white to dealer traded and transported. I do love this GS though. The more I drive it, the more it grows on me.
Old 06-12-15, 09:17 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Thanks for the tips! I hadn't heard of the metro blaster for drying. Is this better than my Toro leaf blower?
yes it does.. the air is more powerful, helping blow water out of crevices. It's also warm filtered air. It comes with rubber accessories, so it's "ok" to bump the paint with it versus the hard plastic of a leaf blower.

its an $80 investment

Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum SK-1 Air Force Blaster Sidekick Compact & Portable Motorcycle Dryer: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum SK-1 Air Force Blaster Sidekick Compact & Portable Motorcycle Dryer: Home Improvement
Old 06-12-15, 09:19 AM
popping
Lead Lap

I too regret my choice, but not a lot (yet). One of my cars was totaled in an accident, so I had to make a decision quick.

I rationalize that I got a better deal buying the black car on the lot than I would have got waiting for the white to dealer traded and transported. I do love this GS though. The more I drive it, the more it grows on me.

Same here. I didn't have to make a quick decision, but i had the dealer on the ropes, in my opinion. Car had been on the lot a couple months, it was end of month. It had everything i wanted, just OB instead of White. So I threw them a low number, expecting them to laugh, but they countered 500 more, so i took it.
Old 06-13-15, 06:58 AM
ITDude
Rookie

yes it does.. the air is more powerful, helping blow water out of crevices. It's also warm filtered air. It comes with rubber accessories, so it's "ok" to bump the paint with it versus the hard plastic of a leaf blower.

its an $80 investment

Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum SK-1 Air Force Blaster Sidekick Compact & Portable Motorcycle Dryer: Home Improvement
I'm going to give this a try. At first I thought it seemed to small to work, so I checked out its big brother, the Mater Blaster. The $350 price tag seems like it is more geared toward the professionals.

The leaf blower is somewhat hard to maneuver, but this Blaster Sidekick should be a lot easier to use.
Old 06-15-15, 07:34 AM
popping
Lead Lap

I'm going to give this a try. At first I thought it seemed to small to work, so I checked out its big brother, the Mater Blaster. The $350 price tag seems like it is more geared toward the professionals.

The leaf blower is somewhat hard to maneuver, but this Blaster Sidekick should be a lot easier to use.
It works even better if your car is coated with a ceramic coating. Water just slides off. I only need one waffle weave towel to dry after i use the MB. Mostly just dabbing areas.
Old 06-17-15, 12:05 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Black or white? Day or night? Candy or vegetables? The real deal or masturbation?

Black is drop dead sexy. No doubt about that. But the color black is like owning a German car for life. So much freaking maintenance. No way could I commit. I love my GS, I love most vehicles I own. I take care of them compared to most people in this world. BUT I am not willing to give my car the time and loving it would need if it were BLACK.

I mean sure, anyone can buy a black car. But I don't want to be 'that guy' that doesn't take care of his BLACKNESS that only would be spotted by other enthusiasts.

I would chose white. Or some other color that isn't black. My two cents fwiw.
Old 06-17-15, 02:10 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

It helps if your black GS is garaged, but ultimately if you're the type who's car always needs to look squeaky clean skip black.