GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Plastidip....I'm just sayin....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 04:30 AM
dajael
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MEAHT
Good post NXXT. Plasti dip is really frowned upon but i love the stuff.
-You can experiment
-its cheap
-you can peel it off

Dipped all the chrome on the car for less than 10 bucks...

Looks great!!! It's definitely a personal preference, wrap or dip. A lot of "purests" on this forum but that's ok. To me, it's just a car...I love the fact that I can very easily remove the dip if I hate it and I'm only out my time and a few dollars versus several hundred bucks. After I finish the front I'm gonna attack the window trim like you did....possibly even the roof but we'll see?

Great job brutha!

-Jason
Old 03-10-15, 08:15 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It doesn't bother anyone that you're spraying a can of plastidip on your 50k+ car?

I used plastidip in the past on my 2is and hated the stuff. Before anyone asks, yes I prepped and did everything right, I'm not just blindly hating. I just got all the chrome and my roof on my 4G wrapped in gloss black and it looks incredible.

A quality wrap job will always look better than a dip, sorry it's the truth. A friend of mine dipped his TL and it looks bad, granted the job wasn't done as good as it should have been. I've also seen cars that have been dipped correctly and it doesn't look half bad. But a quality wrap would look so much better.

A buddy of mine works for one of the best wrap shops in south FL and I should have paid approximately $480 for everything. I paid less than that, but obviously more than $10 worth of plastidip and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Plastidip will never touch my GS, ever
Old 03-10-15, 08:22 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

I found a place that dips cars for $350. I wanna get matte white or matte blue soo bad.

You guys think this color would look ok with smoke grey wheels?
Old 03-10-15, 10:08 AM
dajael
Rookie

Originally Posted by bob4256
It doesn't bother anyone that you're spraying a can of plastidip on your 50k+ car?

I used plastidip in the past on my 2is and hated the stuff. Before anyone asks, yes I prepped and did everything right, I'm not just blindly hating. I just got all the chrome and my roof on my 4G wrapped in gloss black and it looks incredible.

A quality wrap job will always look better than a dip, sorry it's the truth. A friend of mine dipped his TL and it looks bad, granted the job wasn't done as good as it should have been. I've also seen cars that have been dipped correctly and it doesn't look half bad. But a quality wrap would look so much better.

A buddy of mine works for one of the best wrap shops in south FL and I should have paid approximately $480 for everything. I paid less than that, but obviously more than $10 worth of plastidip and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Plastidip will never touch my GS, ever

I can appreciate everything you said, I don't think your "hatin"...you're just giving your opinion and that's cool! One nice thing about the dip is experimenting (for me). I'm not saying I won't wrap the car (ever) but it's nice to dip the car as a visual aid in determining how or what I would wrap. The key to what you said is a "quality" wrap job. I've seen some real crap wrap and also some high quality wrap. If you want to PM me your wrap guys info, I would certainly consider checking him out (I'm in Broward County).

Peace,

Jason
Old 03-10-15, 10:14 AM
dajael
Rookie

Just put on the cheap ebay front lip. Fit like a dream, took 20 min. I'm cool with it, especially for only $100. Now I can definitely see what other areas I want to black out on the front fascia.

Gawd, I wish the damn Vossens would get here already!!!

Old 03-10-15, 10:17 AM
NXXT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
NXXT so the GS is plastic dipped?
Yup!

Originally Posted by bob4256
Not at all. Keep in mind this is sprayed on like a professional paint job. At least mine was. I can see how it can look bad with a can from Lowes or Home Depot lol. In the end it's just a car with a Lexus badge and a lot of electronics. You're spraying the outside not the inside.

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I found a place that dips cars for $350. I wanna get matte white or matte blue soo bad.

You guys think this color would look ok with smoke grey wheels?
I don't know if I would trust a $300 dip job. I would go to a DipYourCar authorized installer for work. Good jobs are $700-$1000

There was actually a GS that color before. Wrapped though. My work is very unforgiving so I couldn't post the better pics of the actual color. Google "Strasse Forged Lexus GS350 or Airrex GS350":

Old 03-10-15, 10:39 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by NXXT

I don't know if I would trust a $300 dip job. I would go to a DipYourCar authorized installer for work. Good jobs are $700-$1000

There was actually a GS that color before. Wrapped though. My work is very unforgiving so I couldn't post the better pics of the actual color. Google "Strasse Forged Lexus GS350 or Airrex GS350":
Thanks for the info
Old 03-11-15, 02:32 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 03-11-15, 03:40 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dajael
Just put on the cheap ebay front lip. Fit like a dream, took 20 min. I'm cool with it, especially for only $100. Now I can definitely see what other areas I want to black out on the front fascia. Gawd, I wish the damn Vossens would get here already!!!
It was cheap and it fit perfectly??? I actually think it looks good

What size are the Vossens??
Are you going to lower the car??

I don't understand how your parking sensors still work. But if they do, they do. With my luck, mine wouldn't...
Old 03-11-15, 10:49 PM
esrever79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my bumper and some plasti dip

Old 03-11-15, 11:39 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MEAHT
This is another members car, he knocked it out the ballpark imo.

this is the proper way to do the front (if you were to ask me).
The OPs looks superior.
Old 03-12-15, 04:48 AM
dajael
Rookie

Originally Posted by sick21
It was cheap and it fit perfectly??? I actually think it looks good

What size are the Vossens??
Are you going to lower the car??

I don't understand how your parking sensors still work. But if they do, they do. With my luck, mine wouldn't...

Thanks for the comps, I was shocked that it fit so perfectly and all of the mounting holes lined up perfectly with the cars facia mounts. I really expected to have to make some adjustments to get it to fit correctly but none were required.

The car has already been lowered, go to post #8 in the link below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-complete.html

The Vossens will be 20x9/20x10 CV3-R's which is their updated CV3 design.

The parking sensors are pretty powerful little radar guns...I would think it would take a lot to interfere with them. I went with 4 coats of dip (pretty thick), no issues whatsoever.

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited by dajael; 03-12-15 at 04:51 AM.