GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Heated Steering Wheel Switch 2015 GS

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 04:45 PM
Norman53
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Steering Wheel Switch 2015 GS

My wife has a 2015 GS w/climate package. She is away and wants to know where the switch is located to turn on the heated steering wheel. She looked it up in the owners manual and she says it's not where the owners manual states.

Can someone help me out with the answer now that it's cold in the Northeast she wants to use it.

Thanks!!
Old 01-09-15, 04:48 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

From memory,on the '13 it's left of the steering wheel in a cluster of buttons.Bottom button to the right.Should be the same on the '15.
Old 01-09-15, 04:57 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can see it in the above picture - it is on the left hand side cluster of 4 buttons right below the vent, in this case it is the bottom right button - it could be the one in the middle depending on the options. It looks like a steering wheel, with wavy arrows pointing up.
Old 11-06-18, 01:12 PM
PDDOW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where I can get a heated steering wheel switch and wiring for my 2015 GS? I may buy a new steering wheel that has a heating element in it.
Old 11-06-18, 04:28 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by PDDOW
Does anyone know where I can get a heated steering wheel switch and wiring for my 2015 GS? I may buy a new steering wheel that has a heating element in it.
I have a heated steering wheel available I bought off from eBay for the controls. Someone from the GSF forums wanted to buy it off from me but deal fell through because DCTMS does not have ability to install heating pads on their carbon fiber wheels. Even if you don't get it from me, you need to know that you need to buy the on/off switch and clock spring with the heating connector. Then you just pop on the steering wheel and plug the connectors. Let me know if you're interested. I'm selling it for pretty cheap.
Old 11-06-18, 08:32 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PDDOW
Don't do it. There I just saved you hundreds of dollars. Coming from a BMW, the Lexus heated steering wheel is arguably the most useless feature integrated by Lexus. Let me point out a few issues 1. Only the 3 and 9 o'clock position have the heating elements. 2. The heat is luke warm at best and doesn't even give you an option to chose different levels of heat such as my BMW, it's either on or off and when it's on you will constantly check if its even on as you won't feel the heat most the time 3. Speaking of heat, the heating coverage of said 3 and 9 o'clock position is not even a full wrapped heat feel it's more like a halfa$$ attempt. It's not even worth spending your money to try to get this, use your cabin heat or wear thin driving gloves it will be 100x better for what my opinion is worth.

Last edited by HontoKuro; 11-06-18 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-07-18, 03:19 AM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
Don't do it. There I just saved you hundreds of dollars. Coming from a BMW, the Lexus heated steering wheel is arguably the most useless feature integrated by Lexus. Let me point out a few issues 1. Only the 3 and 9 o'clock position have the heating elements. 2. The heat is luke warm at best and doesn't even give you an option to chose different levels of heat such as my BMW, it's either on or off and when it's on you will constantly check if its even on as you won't feel the heat most the time 3. Speaking of heat, the heating coverage of said 3 and 9 o'clock position is not even a full wrapped heat feel it's more like a halfa$$ attempt. It's not even worth spending your money to try to get this, use your cabin heat or wear thin driving gloves it will be 100x better for what my opinion is worth.
I don't know why everyone hates Lexus' heated steering wheel. I really like it.

1. I drive with my hands at 3 and 9 90% of the time (because racecar)
2. This one is subjective in my opinion. The heat works for me (albeit I haven't driven it in the winter yet). Other heated steering wheels are either so hot it almost hurts or not warm enough. I feel like it's a good in between. And it also heats up faster than some others I've tested.
3. I'm fine with it, honestly.

Again, I haven't tested it out in the winter, so I don't know how it fares, but I like it for weather where I don't want to break out my gloves (30-50 degrees). When winter comes around, I generally have gloves on anyways.

Just my personal take on the matter.
Old 11-07-18, 07:40 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianxWu
I don't know why everyone hates Lexus' heated steering wheel. I really like it.

1. I drive with my hands at 3 and 9 90% of the time (because racecar)
2. This one is subjective in my opinion. The heat works for me (albeit I haven't driven it in the winter yet). Other heated steering wheels are either so hot it almost hurts or not warm enough. I feel like it's a good in between. And it also heats up faster than some others I've tested.
3. I'm fine with it, honestly.

Again, I haven't tested it out in the winter, so I don't know how it fares, but I like it for weather where I don't want to break out my gloves (30-50 degrees). When winter comes around, I generally have gloves on anyways.

Just my personal take on the matter.
I agree. I use mine daily and I love it. I'd never want a car without one again.

I don't really care that the top and bottom don't heat. I mean, it would be nice if they did, but that's not where I typically have my hands anyway. I find that it heats up really quickly and to a good temperature for me. The one in my Highlander gets too hot and I have to turn it off after a few minutes, but the one in my GS is just right for me.
Old 11-07-18, 09:07 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

It's definitely better than a non-heated steering wheel. But I'd like it a lot more if it got hotter and heated a larger portion of the wheel. I'd still say it's worth spending the money to get it as long as it's not too expensive.
Old 11-07-18, 09:48 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

The heated steering wheel isn't lukewarm at best. It gets so hot that my palms sweat. I only turn it on until my hands warm up and then I shut it off. It may not cover the entire steering wheel but it heats where it counts. Although, I sure wish Lexus had not cheaped out and did the entire wheel just to shut people up.
Old 11-07-18, 10:04 AM
rytmask
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1
My hand mostly sits at either 12 (right hand only - gangsta style) or 7 o'clock (left hand only resting on the arm rest) and I'm also equally unimpressed.

Not used to 3 and 9, kinda tiring position..
Old 11-07-18, 10:06 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

I would gladly pay for this option because it is very nice when it's nice and chilly outside. BUT, I do agree with the others that the heating function is very lacking when compared to other makes. On my GS, it only heats the non-bamboo areas .... this, coupled with the fact that the temp doesn't get hot, makes it a bit less effective than other cars.

I do still believe that its a worthy option. I just think it could be improved.
Old 11-07-18, 10:47 AM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I dislike the fact it's not the entire wheel but is the heating power different between different years? It gets warm enough that I turn it off after a certain point. It doesn't seem too far off my old Jetta anyway (which had a great fully heated steering wheel).

I'd really love a third party wheel that could heat the entire thing.
Old 11-07-18, 01:35 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

The F sport wheel has a larger heating surface than the rest of the other models. My heating was just fine, no idea why people are complaining because it warms up really quick and is the perfect amount of hot if you are not wearing any gloves. And if you want to see what the pad looks like, I ripped my wheel apart, here are a few pictures: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10287808
Old 11-07-18, 05:59 PM
2jS160
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Coming from a BMW, the Lexus heated steering wheel is arguably the most useless feature integrated by Lexus. I
I also disagree whole heartily. I love the heated steering wheel and feels its does it's job well in conjunction with the heated seats. Granted I've never driven a BMW so I'll take your word for how much more efficient they are. I'd be lying I if I said it's never crossed my mind that Lexus cheaped out on offering us a full heated wheel to keep your hands toasty when you make turns. It is by no means a useless feature and the heated 3 and 6 position not a deal breaker for me. This is a must have option and all I've been spoiled by my 4GS and every car going forward must have this option on the build spec.

Quick Reply: Heated Steering Wheel Switch 2015 GS