Climate control settings change randomly

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 11:34 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Climate control settings change randomly

Hey folks.
I've been driving the wife's GS Fsport more lately this summer and I noticed some things. Why is it that each time you turn off the car and when you go to use it again the climate settings change by themselves? Its not even consistent. Sometimes the AC is on while other times its off when I start the car. I prefer to have the settings stay the same from when the cars turned off and then when its started up again. The temp setting also fluctuates. Might it be trying to predict the best setting? I also never use any "auto" fan/temp settings either.

Thoughts?

Happy 4th to everyone!
Old 07-02-14, 12:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,970 Posts

My settings always remain the same.
Old 07-02-14, 02:07 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
My settings always remain the same.
Huh....

Cant say mine behaves that way at all. suggestions?
Old 07-02-14, 02:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,970 Posts

No clue. Do you leave yours on auto? Are climate functions linked to memory profiles maybe?
Old 07-02-14, 09:16 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Hey folks.
I've been driving the wife's GS Fsport more lately this summer and I noticed some things. Why is it that each time you turn off the car and when you go to use it again the climate settings change by themselves? Its not even consistent. Sometimes the AC is on while other times its off when I start the car. I prefer to have the settings stay the same from when the cars turned off and then when its started up again. The temp setting also fluctuates. Might it be trying to predict the best setting? I also never use any "auto" fan/temp settings either.

Thoughts?

Happy 4th to everyone!
First thought that came to me was the fob. I know you can tie the seat, mirrors and wheel settings to the fob in use, thus when driver (fob 1) is in the car the settings are restored to that fob presets. This is of course you have done the setup for this to occur.

I wonder if the presets extend to ventilation settings. NOTE, no matter how you try the ventilation will always reset to recirculation when the temp is 75F or higher.

Question 1 - did you tie setting (seat, mirrors, wheel) to a particular fob?
2. If so, have you noticed if the changes occur when using different fobs.

If not this, have you asked your wife/kids if they've been sneaking into the car and changing the settings when you are not there? For some mysterious reason this always happens to my home thermostat.

Good luck, Happy 4th.
Old 07-03-14, 10:45 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dougm213
First thought that came to me was the fob. I know you can tie the seat, mirrors and wheel settings to the fob in use, thus when driver (fob 1) is in the car the settings are restored to that fob presets. This is of course you have done the setup for this to occur.

I wonder if the presets extend to ventilation settings. NOTE, no matter how you try the ventilation will always reset to recirculation when the temp is 75F or higher.

Question 1 - did you tie setting (seat, mirrors, wheel) to a particular fob?
2. If so, have you noticed if the changes occur when using different fobs.

If not this, have you asked your wife/kids if they've been sneaking into the car and changing the settings when you are not there? For some mysterious reason this always happens to my home thermostat.

Good luck, Happy 4th.
Thanks for the reply. You know, I never thought about the correlation of the settings and two different fobs. It could be related. I will need to check into it more. My wife and I use our own fobs but I still think we both see the settings change within the same day(leaving home & Leaving work). The temp number will be on "low" when I get to work, when I go to leave for example, it might be at 75???

I don't recall setting the functions to the fob, just the memory seats with the buttons on the door. I did buy the car used, so maybe the previous owner was messing with this?

Its a big mystery And no, our son is only 8months old, so I doubt its him, ha!

Happy 4th too.
Old 07-06-14, 01:56 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Lol, the "low" setting lights up when you tell it you want it lower than 65. Your car is possessed.
Old 07-06-14, 07:02 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You should dig into the owner's manual. I seem to remember reading that seats, steering wheel, outside mirrors, radio and A/C settings are all linked to the key fob. I've never looked further because I'm the only one driving my GS.
Old 07-07-14, 02:39 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

My AC is always on and that's how I like it. Most of the time all my settings are remembered but once in a while my settings change too which I find kinda annoying. I dont know if its a glitch or anything buy lexus should fix this with at least a software update.

Anyways have you tested the cars battery to see if it still holding a good charge? Sometimes a weak battery will mess with your car settings like resetting everything to default.
Old 07-08-14, 07:38 PM
wla1mjd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the same problem.... the outside/inside vent would toggle by itself (in all driving modes... eco, normal, sport) without me hitting any buttons. Kind of annoying really. Doesn't happen too often, about once a month. I gave up trying to figure it out.
Old 07-09-14, 04:56 AM
DLKC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Thanks for the reply. You know, I never thought about the correlation of the settings and two different fobs. It could be related. I will need to check into it more. My wife and I use our own fobs but I still think we both see the settings change within the same day(leaving home & Leaving work). The temp number will be on "low" when I get to work, when I go to leave for example, it might be at 75???

I don't recall setting the functions to the fob, just the memory seats with the buttons on the door. I did buy the car used, so maybe the previous owner was messing with this?

Its a big mystery And no, our son is only 8months old, so I doubt its him, ha!

Happy 4th too.
I had similar experience, except that I had 2 keys in the car at the same time for a long trip. Thought that the car was possessed! About a month later, I realized the key remembers the last known temperature setting. It was an accidental discovery.