GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I gotta say, the Luxury package wheels have really grown on me...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-14, 08:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts
Default I gotta say, the Luxury package wheels have really grown on me...

Anybody else feel the same? When I first got the GS, I hated the luxury package wheels. Tried to get the dealer to swap them for the 18s off the premium package but no dice. I even looked into alternative OEM Lexus wheels, like the tourmaline wheels from the 3GS/2SC...posted a thread about that here.

Got the GS washed yesterday and we went out for dinner, walking back up to the car sitting in the parking lot under bright white discharge lights all nice and clean I thought to myself "Man...I actually really like these wheels"...

They're a pain to clean, but I've got it down to a science and I find they have some nice dimension to them...funny how things turn out...
Old 03-23-14, 08:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I really don't like the wheels and never have.I like the thick 5 spoke type wheels like the last generation GS and LS wheels.
Old 03-23-14, 08:32 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Same here. I asked my dealer to replace them, was denied but I'm glad that I kept them. I think they look really good.
Old 03-23-14, 10:17 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

They look okay to me except that they are not wide enough - I've always liked wheel/tire packages that come out closer to the fender lip, and they are a pain to clean as you say. But other than that they are not bad looking.
Old 03-23-14, 10:35 AM
5thavenue
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always liked the luxury wheels more than the other ones but I wasn't sure if I'd like the superchrome finish on my 14 before it came in. I think the superchrome looks great with my silver paint but I think I'd probably want the old finish if I had another color vehicle.
Old 03-23-14, 12:21 PM
Viren
Driver School Candidate

I've had people come up and ask if they are custom before they see the lexus emblem on them. I love the look but thet sure are a pain to clean.
Old 03-23-14, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5thavenue
I've always liked the luxury wheels more than the other ones but I wasn't sure if I'd like the superchrome finish on my 14 before it came in. I think the superchrome looks great with my silver paint but I think I'd probably want the old finish if I had another color vehicle.
Can you post some pictures of that super chrome finish? I've seen one, but from afar. I'd like to see the wheels in that finish.
Old 03-23-14, 08:54 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The new S class & 7 series wheels have similar design with the 4GS luxury. My guess once you get used to it you will like it.
Old 03-23-14, 11:24 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Can we get a picture? I used to think the graphite F Sport wheels on mine were really special until I saw an extremely similar wheel on a Camry XLE, without the graphite coating. Look familiar?

Old 03-23-14, 11:53 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree the design looks similar at first glance but the creases on the spokes are more complicated, the finish seem to be higher quality and also 19 inches vs 17 inches?

Most importantly, those humongous STOCK BBK calipers and 2 piece rotors on the GS would make me forgive almost anything else.

Last edited by natnut; 03-24-14 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-24-14, 06:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think the wheels are similar...I mean they both have spokes,...
Old 03-24-14, 07:54 AM
GS14AWD
Rookie

I like my chrome shadow (?) luxury rims, I think it goes very well with liquid silver exterior. I still can't get over the fender gap, but the whole look is starting to grow on me.
Old 03-24-14, 08:48 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

I never dislike the wheels but at some points I wanted a bigger darker set. Some of the wheels here we've seen on this site look really nice but IMO without a drop they look worse than the stock wheels. The potential post drop symptoms are also concerns for me because I don't want to spend time at the service centers. I was also considering the F Sport wheels but I would have to keep these around and find a way to get risk of the F Sports when it's time to turn the car in. All things considered, I decided to keep them as is. After seeing so many different wheels, I think they look great for the luxury model. For some reasons I never have a feel for the premium wheels.

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Can we get a picture?
Here you go...
Attached Thumbnails I gotta say, the Luxury package wheels have really grown on me...-9665.jpg  

Last edited by 1111GS; 03-24-14 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-24-14, 03:33 PM
5thavenue
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Can you post some pictures of that super chrome finish? I've seen one, but from afar. I'd like to see the wheels in that finish.
It is hard for me to capture the true color in this light, but here is a picture of one wheel in the shade. I like that it adds a little more contrast.
Attached Thumbnails I gotta say, the Luxury package wheels have really grown on me...-img_3915.jpg  
Old 03-24-14, 04:42 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I don't think the wheels are similar...I mean they both have spokes,...
They are very similar, but the F Sport wheels look like the columns (spokes) are twisted one direction or another whereas the Camry XLE's spokes are just straight but they have the same shape carved out of the center of each spoke. It looks like the F Sport design was an evolution of this one, like someone at Toyota looked at the XLE rim and made it look much better.

Regardless, I kinda lament the fact that the huge F Sport brakes are so dull looking. I'm not saying paint them bright red or yellow and slap Baer and Brembo logos on them, but a nice glossy black with a white Lexus logo or a graphite coating and a silver logo would make them look more expensive. When you're showing a big brake package (through staggered 19's) with 6 pistons and floating rotors, you should go the full 9 yards.

Oh well, I imagine the GSF, RCF and RC F Sport will address this oversight. Or perhaps it's intentional due to the demographic that is supposed to buy this car, with subtle additions that are distinctive without being flashy.

Quick Reply: I gotta say, the Luxury package wheels have really grown on me...