GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is LoJack worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-13, 08:06 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
Lexus is equipped with their own lojack type system, stick with that. i'd have to agree with lexruger... that's what insurance is for. i know it's a PITA to have your car stolen, I KNOW... at the end of the day the insurance plus your GAP will cover the cost. 30 days later you're pushing a new whip, i only waited 3.
Great excuse to get a new car lol
Old 11-24-13, 11:01 PM
MoparMan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i'm going to have too disagree... i had lojack installed on a previous car and they got into my car with a key, however they used a scanner to locate the lojack and bypassed it. CAR GONE in 60 seconds. mind you i had the early warning upgrade fob on my key ring, they did not have a flatbed/tow truck. it was all caught on a neighbors camera and they found the car 4 months later in PA, i was living in NY at the time. IMO lojack sucks.
That would be a special circumstance. You had some high tech guys steal your car, then probably sold it to someone else.
Old 11-24-13, 11:56 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonthema
Wrong, you should know this living in Cali. Cars are stolen from anywhere, at anytime. Especially in SoCal. In fact while I type this cars are being stolen probably near where you're at.
While in So Cal (Cali in general) it is bad, Nor Cal and Cen Cal are historically at the top of the list. Bottom line, if they want your car, they will get it... eventually. If you have wheels they want, you may find your car on milk crates, or better yet, simply wheel-less. Lojack makes a lot of claims (the rep was on site when I bought my car), and it may provide peace of mind, and an insurance premium break, but I still chose not to go with it for some of the reasons mentioned by others. For me, living essentially in Fresno (#1 or 2, see below), my best advice is to know your surroundings before you decide to take the Lexo. Be proactive about it, be aware and not oblivious and it lessens your chance of experiencing such a headache. You can never be 100% sure that one day you may return to a missing car, however.

California is Home to Eight of Top 10 Cities for Stolen Vehicles

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/thewire/stole...#ixzz2ldoPdOWT

Here are the National Insurance Crime Bureau's rankings for 2012, with 2011 rankings in parentheses:
10. Redding, Calif. (40)

9. Spokane-Spokane Valley, Wash. (4)

8. Vallejo-Fairfield, Calif. (9)

7. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif. (20)

6. San Francisco/Oakland/Hayward, Calif. (6)

5. Yakima, Wash. (5)

4. Stockton, Calif. (7)

3. Bakersfield-Delano, Calif. (3)

2. Fresno, Calif. (1)

1. Modesto, Calif. (2)
Old 11-25-13, 07:26 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonthema
What about things like:
  • Personal property in the vehicle (gps, laptop, ipad, cash etc.)
  • Loss of your down payment?
  • Loss of insurance deductible?
  • Loss of start up costs (acquisition fee, sales tax, registration fee's, first payment, etc.)
  • Do you have rental coverage? What about cost of rental beyond 30 days?
  • Cost of payments until vehicle is deemed total loss? 60 days? 90 days?
  • Cost of lost time. Inconvenience. Missed time from work

These items here could add up to $1,000's that you may never see again. You sure you dont want your car back?
Damn negative nancy...
Old 11-25-13, 01:23 PM
mshmsh
Driver

Pay for safety connect 130 something annually. Since your gs is 2014 new then you have one year free! Im curios why you even consider loJack? Didnt you know safety connect will protect your car against everything?
Old 12-04-13, 06:43 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wonder what happens when your car has been stolen, and your safety connect service was not active (not being paid for).
Can you call and have them locate the car, assuming you're ready to start paying for the service?

Can't imagine what they'd have to gain by not doing so.
Old 04-06-15, 05:22 AM
Haldol
Rookie

Default LoJack worth it for me

If my car gets stolen, I can replace it with insurance. Yes, I will loose some money for deductible and inconvenience. LoJack gives me hope the bad guys are caught in the act, and bad guys off the street is important to me.
Old 04-06-15, 07:42 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Haldol
If my car gets stolen, I can replace it with insurance. Yes, I will loose some money for deductible and inconvenience. LoJack gives me hope the bad guys are caught in the act, and bad guys off the street is important to me.
Right but the safety connect is the same thing as Lojack and it better than Lojack as Lojack only works in certain places as opposed to Lexus which is everywhere.
Old 04-06-15, 11:41 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If someone wants LoJack ... Keep in mind it's possible to negotiate the price down at the dealership.
Old 04-07-15, 04:29 PM
rllx4gs
Driver School Candidate

I would have a LOJACK installed if I were you. Just for a piece of mind, and a discounted insurance rate. LOL.
Old 05-19-17, 12:25 PM
SeagoatLeo
Driver School Candidate

Default Lojack successful on two different Lexus recoveries

Well, yes Lojack is expensive; however, about ten years ago Lojack/police located my vehicle a Lexus LS 400 after it had been towed 15 miles to a towyard. In November, 2016, my parents ES 330 was stolen by 4 heroin addicts from an unsecured senior living apartment facility (400 occupants) in the rearmost spot in the underground garage at night (when the garage should have been locked up). The next day, the police were notified. That night, the police found the car in a power center parking lot after a call was made from an In-N-Out Burger that someone was ODing in the restroom. The police arrested two heroin addicts in the car. The car had a horrible smell from the thieves backpacks and drugs. The contents were bagged up by the thieves and left in the trunk. They only stole the garage door opener from a home which they had no location information about. It cost the insurance company $350 to have the interior washed and cleaned of the odor. The thieves used a sharpened metal fake key to start the car (found on site). They had multiple wallets, i.d.s and cell phones obviously stolen from other people. So, LoJack gave us back the car within one day with no damage other than severe cleaning. Since the car was a very low mileage but older car (8 years old), it could not be replaced in mint condition easily or what an insurance company would probably pay. Plus, no down time, no additional costs, no finding another car. It was worth it.
Old 05-19-17, 01:48 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm shocked a 2016 ES330 can be stolen so easily. Even if they can copy the key, the microchip in engine should have prevented the car from starting.

Anyhow, not worth it. Get it through Lexus Enform if you want peace of mind.
Old 05-19-17, 01:56 PM
SeagoatLeo
Driver School Candidate

Default No, the ES330 is from 2006...

It was stolen in 2016. 2016 ES cars are model 350s.
Old 05-19-17, 02:10 PM
SeagoatLeo
Driver School Candidate

Default I've had two other cars stolen over the last 3 decades

They were not towed away but the ignitions were broken into (hot-wired). One was a Delta 88 1988 and the other was a Crown Victoria 1996. No, so far towtrucks were not involved. Also, who wants to steal old large cars that are not fuel efficient other than joy riding or thieves who want the car for their personal use? Maybe hot item late model cars are towed by crooks.
Old 05-19-17, 02:21 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I didn't think a modern car could be hot wired so easily. Since 2000, cars were equipped with microchips in the key and engine. If the signals don't match, the car doesn't start.

Quick Reply: Is LoJack worth it?