GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Wald spoiler problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-13, 01:22 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexson
I will tell you exactly what has happened here since I do paint work.

That spoiler still has release agents (from the molding process) that are flashing off. When painted those agents become trapped and come to the surface as "pop" or pin hole.

It is a pretty common practice to leave new parts out in the sun for a day and wipe them down throughly with special prep chemicals before sanding. You can also use a heat gun to help release these mold agents. If you do not do this before sanding down the part, then you are actually sanding these mold release agents into the actual part itself which makes an even bigger issue. Also, all new parts should be sealed and this would have showed up in the sealer so looks like you have a painter that doesn't really know what it is doing.

PS, you can always send it down to FL and I will handle that.
Good call. I was at a body shop 2 weeks ago and spoke with one of the guys there. He suggested I leave the spoiler out in the open for 1-2 weeks before painting too. That painter should have known that. Shame on him.
Old 07-12-13, 05:34 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will tell you exactly what has happened here since I do paint work.

That spoiler still has release agents (from the molding process) that are flashing off. When painted those agents become trapped and come to the surface as "pop" or pin hole.

It is a pretty common practice to leave new parts out in the sun for a day and wipe them down throughly with special prep chemicals before sanding. You can also use a heat gun to help release these mold agents. If you do not do this before sanding down the part, then you are actually sanding these mold release agents into the actual part itself which makes an even bigger issue. Also, all new parts should be sealed and this would have showed up in the sealer so looks like you have a painter that doesn't really know what it is doing.

PS, you can always send it down to FL and I will handle that.
Can the piece be salvaged?
Old 07-12-13, 06:06 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Outrage
Can the piece be salvaged?
Of course, it just needs to be stripped back down. I am working on a honda accord lip right now that had 8 layers of paint on it and about 6 different colors. Took it back down to bare plastic.

add me on instagram Nexson51 and I have a bunch of painting/body work pictures.
Old 07-12-13, 06:56 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course, it just needs to be stripped back down. I am working on a honda accord lip right now that had 8 layers of paint on it and about 6 different colors. Took it back down to bare plastic.

add me on instagram Nexson51 and I have a bunch of painting/body work pictures.
Do you still have pics of my TL grille insert that you painted (Both of them) on there?
Old 07-12-13, 07:00 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Do you still have pics of my TL grille insert that you painted (Both of them) on there?
instagram wasn't around back then lol> i have painted a few since. might be one on there.
Old 07-15-13, 09:17 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

I have e-mailed VIP Auto Salon, the vendor I purchased the spoiler from, Jonari, who I believe to be the US distributor for Wald products in the United States, and Wald directly. Hopefully, I will receive an "official" response verifying the issue. Thanks to everyone for their assistance thus far!
Old 07-15-13, 11:41 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Jonari replied to my e-mail. They believe the spoiler was not prepared correctly (should have been primed, sanded, and primed again) and should not have been baked after painting since it's FRP. The body shop believes the spoiler should have come with directions stating how the spoiler was to be prepared and that it not be baked. As I expected, neither side wants to claim responsibility for the issues encountered during the painting process.

The body shop has offered to prepare and paint the spoiler again, for an additional fee, but will not guarantee the spoiler will come out properly afterwards.
Old 07-15-13, 02:15 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
Jonari replied to my e-mail. They believe the spoiler was not prepared correctly (should have been primed, sanded, and primed again) and should not have been baked after painting since it's FRP. The body shop believes the spoiler should have come with directions stating how the spoiler was to be prepared and that it not be baked. As I expected, neither side wants to claim responsibility for the issues encountered during the painting process.

The body shop has offered to prepare and paint the spoiler again, for an additional fee, but will not guarantee the spoiler will come out properly afterwards.
There seems to be a standard prep procedure for that material. Seems like only the shop didn't know how to do it?
Old 07-15-13, 03:40 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have expected the shop to know not to bake a non metal part
Old 07-15-13, 05:43 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

I would take your spoiler fromt he shop. You can bake parts like that!! it only brings the release agents to the surface. They should have baked it before prep work.

Anyways like I said, I can handle it for you. Add me on IG
Old 07-15-13, 06:13 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

For an additional fee... I know you told them to KYA. They would be replacing my spoiler.