GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Paddle Shift in D Mode!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-13, 09:04 AM
ronfsp
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Paddle Shift in D Mode!

Did u guys know that paddle shift on the steering works in D mode too? I only discovered it today! It works even on ECO, Normal, SportS & SportS+ modes too! Try it!

You have to start driving on D mode as normal.. Then when it changes a few gears you can try shifting down gear or up gear. On the instrument panel there will show a D & a number corresponding to the gear you shift to eg. from gear 6 you shift down it will show D5 on the instrument panel!

Best part is after you shift down gear, you dun have to shift up gear, just accelerate & the gear will go back to normal D auto mode & shift up gear by itself! Cool!!! It's juz like semi Manual in Auto D mode while the M mode is full manual where you have to down shift & up shift yourself.

By the way i'm driving a GS250 F Sport. May be different in your country... But mostly likely works the same
Old 04-23-13, 09:23 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

US 4GS paddle shift behave the same.
Old 04-23-13, 10:53 AM
ronfsp
Driver

Oh! I didn't know the 4GS had this feature till today while driving got bored & played with the paddle shift then i found out! Cool feature Or am i the only 1 not knowing it
Old 04-23-13, 10:58 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ronfsp
Oh! I didn't know the 4GS had this feature till today while driving got bored & played with the paddle shift then i found out! Cool feature Or am i the only 1 not knowing it
you might be the only one . just kidding. you learn something new everyday . doesn't make you slow. just kidding.
Old 04-23-13, 11:13 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use it to slow down, you can come back out of it by holding the up paddle for three seconds.

The IS250 does it also.
Old 04-23-13, 02:07 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Did u guys know that paddle shift on the steering works in D mode too? I only discovered it today! It works even on ECO, Normal, SportS & SportS+ modes too! Try it!

You have to start driving on D mode as normal.. Then when it changes a few gears you can try shifting down gear or up gear. On the instrument panel there will show a D & a number corresponding to the gear you shift to eg. from gear 6 you shift down it will show D5 on the instrument panel!

Best part is after you shift down gear, you dun have to shift up gear, just accelerate & the gear will go back to normal D auto mode & shift up gear by itself! Cool!!! It's juz like semi Manual in Auto D mode while the M mode is full manual where you have to down shift & up shift yourself.

By the way i'm driving a GS250 F Sport. May be different in your country... But mostly likely works the same
Yes. This feature started with the 2009 IS. Many use it for engine braking when going down a grade
Old 04-24-13, 08:25 AM
ronfsp
Driver

Yea think i'm the only 1 not knowing it! Haha! New to auto cars as all my previos rides are gear sticks!Ya very useful for downshifting. & accelerate again it will auto upshift!
Old 04-24-13, 08:28 AM
Shadow0039
Driver School Candidate

It will automatically up-shift, even in M mode. Main diff is under M mode it does not automatically change back to D after a few seconds. My sale agent highlighted this special feature to me during the test drive : )
Old 04-24-13, 09:14 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

It looks like natnut is not the only Singaporean in Club Lexus anymore hehe

Anyways yeah. It seems like a pretty cool feature for most people.

Personally though:
I only use 'S' if I want full manual shift-ability and want to use the paddle shifters (regardless if I'm using ECO, Normal, Sport or Sport S+). I just leave it to D if I want full auto.

That's just me though =)

P.S.
slightly off-topic

To the Singaporeans here:

I heard LTA and MOT (headed by Lui Tuck Yew) increase COE bidding again. Hence, COE for all vehicle categories went up..............except for small cars.

With that said, how much is the starting price for a Lexus GS over there? (Borneo Motors)
Old 04-25-13, 08:31 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Knew about the paddle shifter use in D a long time ago. Nothing spectacular.
Old 04-25-13, 08:36 AM
ronfsp
Driver

Originally Posted by Blackraven
It looks like natnut is not the only Singaporean in Club Lexus anymore hehe

Anyways yeah. It seems like a pretty cool feature for most people.

Personally though:
I only use 'S' if I want full manual shift-ability and want to use the paddle shifters (regardless if I'm using ECO, Normal, Sport or Sport S+). I just leave it to D if I want full auto.

That's just me though =)

P.S.
slightly off-topic

To the Singaporeans here:

I heard LTA and MOT (headed by Lui Tuck Yew) increase COE bidding again. Hence, COE for all vehicle categories went up..............except for small cars.

With that said, how much is the starting price for a Lexus GS over there? (Borneo Motors)
Basic model GS250 now going for SGD$239K, GS250 F Sport SGD$273K. GS350 SGD$302K, GS350 F Sport SGD$308K.

starting from 26th Feb 2013, Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) starts a new ruling when buy cars... A minimum of 50% downpayment is needed & the loan tenure is to be capped at 5 years.... Now in Singapore only the very rich can afford to buy new cars... Best part is even if u own a car, when the car reaches10 years either u scrapped it or u have to renew COE in order to own it again! That is the way Singapore government do to force the COE to go down & control the amount of cars on the road! U guys should know how small is Singapore! It's just a red dot on the world map. Haha!!!
Old 04-28-13, 09:01 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Basic model GS250 now going for SGD$239K, GS250 F Sport SGD$273K. GS350 SGD$302K, GS350 F Sport SGD$308K.

starting from 26th Feb 2013, Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) starts a new ruling when buy cars... A minimum of 50% downpayment is needed & the loan tenure is to be capped at 5 years.... Now in Singapore only the very rich can afford to buy new cars... Best part is even if u own a car, when the car reaches10 years either u scrapped it or u have to renew COE in order to own it again! That is the way Singapore government do to force the COE to go down & control the amount of cars on the road! U guys should know how small is Singapore! It's just a red dot on the world map. Haha!!!
Hehe and now the train systems are having some problems with rapidly increasing number of users (especially with MRT train lines operated by SMRT).