GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Forced Induction Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 12:44 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Forced Induction Options

I've been doing some searching and was wondering if there were any turbo kits for this motor. It looks like there were a couple of supercharged IS, but they appeared to be custom. Just trying to get a feel for how strong the drive train is and what kind of aftermarket support exists. Sorry, most of my background has been Nissan.
Old 01-23-13, 08:29 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

If you're looking for turbo kits on a modern Lexus you're looking at the wrong car. Toyota/Lexus doesn't want anyone messing with their cars and more specifically the ECU. They ensure that by encrypting their ECU's in such a way that no one has been able to crack it successfully. The exception to this is Lotus who uses Toyota drivetrains in their cars and Toyota provides them with the codes to allow for tuning on the Exige and Evora. A prime example of this is the IS-F, in the 4 + years that car has been out no one has a tuning solution using the factory ECU. I know this because I had an IS-F as recently as last year and there was nothing.

In short, making a turbo or supercharger kit is relatively easy but without the software to make it run right all you have is an expensive car that is going to run like crap. Part of the reason I bought an IS-F was the fact that I couldn't mess with it 'too much' and part of the reason I bought the GS F Sport. If I wanted to mess with the car past wheels, suspension etc. I would have bought another car.
Old 01-24-13, 05:18 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect the real reason no one makes an ECU tuner is a lack of demand. The V6 engine in the GS has been used in the Avalon, Camry, Highlander, ES, RX, etc. These are hardly the sorts of vehicle enthusiasts typically purchase.
Old 01-24-13, 06:59 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

They are different engines.

The V6 in the GS ( 2GR-FSE)has the dual injection (port+direct injection) while the others are traditional port injection only. Dual injection gives greater fuel efficiency at low loads while greater power at high loads.

There are superchargers made for the 2GR-FSE but they are Japan-only. Total hp made by the supercharged V6 is about 355hp :

http://toyota.jp/customize/markx/sup...ger/spec2.html
Old 01-24-13, 07:35 AM
ronfsp
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut

The V6 in the GS ( 2GR-FSE)has the dual injection (port+direct injection) while the others are traditional port injection only. Dual injection gives greater fuel efficiency at low loads while greater power at high loads.

There are superchargers made for the 2GR-FSE but they are Japan-only. Total hp made by the supercharged V6 is about 355hp :

Are 4GR-FSE dual injection also? 4GR-FSE is used on the GS250
Old 01-24-13, 08:10 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

The ECU software, per manufacturer, is often times shared between engine lines. For example, I own a HPTuners PCM (VCM) tuner for GM vehicles. That tuner is able to be used on multiple GM vehicles as the code within the PCM is similar. I owned a vehicle with an L67 (3.8 liter V6 supercharged), but the tuner works fine on a wide variety of GM engines such as the L36, LS1, etc.
Old 01-24-13, 08:47 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ronfsp
Are 4GR-FSE dual injection also? 4GR-FSE is used on the GS250
4GR-FSE is direct injection only :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine
Old 01-24-13, 08:48 AM
stick22
Driver

going from 306 to 355 doesn't seem worth the hassle right now. i was hoping/dreaming for something closer to 400 hp
Old 01-24-13, 12:01 PM
terrycs
Instructor

I don't think any manufacturer "allows" tuners to get at the ECU easily. But that doesn't mean that it can't be done using a piggy back such as HKS F-Con iS. It's actually the preffered option over a full stand alone since you wouldn't lose factory ECU features. Cracking the factory ECU to manage a boosted motor is a different story. If the demand is great enough, it can happen.

Originally Posted by N54MPower
If you're looking for turbo kits on a modern Lexus you're looking at the wrong car. Toyota/Lexus doesn't want anyone messing with their cars and more specifically the ECU. They ensure that by encrypting their ECU's in such a way that no one has been able to crack it successfully. The exception to this is Lotus who uses Toyota drivetrains in their cars and Toyota provides them with the codes to allow for tuning on the Exige and Evora. A prime example of this is the IS-F, in the 4 + years that car has been out no one has a tuning solution using the factory ECU. I know this because I had an IS-F as recently as last year and there was nothing.

In short, making a turbo or supercharger kit is relatively easy but without the software to make it run right all you have is an expensive car that is going to run like crap. Part of the reason I bought an IS-F was the fact that I couldn't mess with it 'too much' and part of the reason I bought the GS F Sport. If I wanted to mess with the car past wheels, suspension etc. I would have bought another car.
Old 01-24-13, 12:11 PM
terrycs
Instructor

You're right, 355 isn't worth the trouble. But I'm sure the 355 WHp is using a conservative tune to minimize premature engine failure. Does anybody know how much the 2GR-FSE can actually handle tho by using it maybe for race applications? A stock block Nissan 6 cyliner VQ motor (as used in the upcoming 2014 Infiniti Q50 sedan) can easily handle over 450 WHp for street use.

Originally Posted by stick22
going from 306 to 355 doesn't seem worth the hassle right now. i was hoping/dreaming for something closer to 400 hp
Old 01-24-13, 12:23 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Don't forget another potential weak point, the transmission.
Old 01-24-13, 12:28 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Very good point. How much can the Lexus unit take? I wonder is a shift kit is also available for it.

Originally Posted by Outrage
Don't forget another potential weak point, the transmission.
Old 01-24-13, 12:58 PM
DoriSaru15
Lead Lap

You will be spending too much money for little gain. Might as well do a 2j or 1j swap. Good Luck
Old 01-25-13, 11:54 AM
m34door
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by N54MPower

Very interesting was not aware of this. Thanks for info
Old 01-25-13, 02:18 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DoriSaru15
You will be spending too much money for little gain. Might as well do a 2j or 1j swap. Good Luck
Why would anyone put a 20+ year old designed engine into a 2013 MY Lexus?

Quick Reply: Forced Induction Options