GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Strange ticking while turning slowly

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-12, 07:57 AM
j2theIzzle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, had my window down for the first time while trying to park my car, I too had this click noise when turning right to park.
Old 11-08-12, 12:09 PM
jnh52674
Driver School Candidate

Default Limited Slip Differential

I would be willing to bet that the ticking noise is the limited slip differential ratcheting since the speed of the inside rear wheel while turning is slower than the outside. I can hear it clicking in either direction while turning more than just slightly.
Old 11-09-12, 09:12 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jnh52674
I would be willing to bet that the ticking noise is the limited slip differential ratcheting since the speed of the inside rear wheel while turning is slower than the outside. I can hear it clicking in either direction while turning more than just slightly.
Hmm that sounds about right. The dealer couldn't tell me anything about it sadly.
Old 03-19-13, 05:39 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Ok update guys.... I recently upgraded my wheels (got Vossens and love them!) and ever since, I haven't heard the ticking at all so I can only assume it had something to do with the rims. I really don't see how rims can cause that though so I'm still in the dark. I'm just glad its gone!

Here are a few pics of the new shoes

Old 03-19-13, 06:32 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

CV7... nice choice, what brand of tires are you running?
Old 03-19-13, 06:53 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
CV7... nice choice, what brand of tires are you running?
Thanks! They are Delintes. Yea, I've never heard of them either lol but they're pretty good. The ride is a little rougher than my stock set up but I'm chalk that up to the tires and larger rims. Its not bad at all though.
Old 04-15-13, 07:03 AM
jnh52674
Driver School Candidate

Default Two Piece Rotors

My F-Sport has been "ticking" when I turn at low speed for quite a while. I just took in for the 15K service and I spoke with guys at the Lexus service department and then took them out and showed them when it does it and how loud it is. It can sound almost as loud as a bad CV joint on a front wheel drive car. The technician at the dealership kept it for a couple of days and they were able to determine that loose rivets attaching the two piece rotors together was the cause of the ticking. They replaced my rotors and now it is silent again.
Old 04-15-13, 01:35 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jnh52674
My F-Sport has been "ticking" when I turn at low speed for quite a while. I just took in for the 15K service and I spoke with guys at the Lexus service department and then took them out and showed them when it does it and how loud it is. It can sound almost as loud as a bad CV joint on a front wheel drive car. The technician at the dealership kept it for a couple of days and they were able to determine that loose rivets attaching the two piece rotors together was the cause of the ticking. They replaced my rotors and now it is silent again.
Hmm that's interesting. Since I've changed rims I don't hear it anymore but that worries me now. Is there any dangers involved with the loose rivets that you know of? Thanks for the info!
Old 04-15-13, 03:05 PM
tankton
Driver School Candidate

^^ the first time I read this thread, I thought it was a bad CV joint, though I realized without a front drivetrain (either FWD or AWD type), it wasn't possible.

I know on my current Mercedes ML, a very similar set of symptoms (ticking which is variable with speed, seemed to be from the left-front), was actually the transfer case in the middle of the car (as it turns out, "sealed for life," really meant, "we don't know what we were doing" and "I had to crawl under my car to replace 1.5qt of drexon-III").
Old 04-19-13, 07:12 AM
jnh52674
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yardie876
Hmm that's interesting. Since I've changed rims I don't hear it anymore but that worries me now. Is there any dangers involved with the loose rivets that you know of? Thanks for the info!
It doesn't seem that there should be any danger with this problem since the rotor shouldn't actually separate it just gets a tiny bit loose and pops. The service tech, who I know and trust, also felt that there is no risk. It is just annoying to hear.
Old 07-08-13, 06:51 PM
NG2
Driver School Candidate

I had this exact problem. I was at a family event and pulled into a parking lot where a mechanic came up to me and said -- your front CV joint needs to be fixed.. it is clicking. I told him I had RWD and that I would take into the dealer.

Turned out it was a rotor issue and the dealer fixed it (this is the 3rd time I have had issues with the front brakes -- first two was the pads needed to be replaced because of squealing)
Old 07-08-13, 07:20 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NG2
I had this exact problem. I was at a family event and pulled into a parking lot where a mechanic came up to me and said -- your front CV joint needs to be fixed.. it is clicking. I told him I had RWD and that I would take into the dealer.

Turned out it was a rotor issue and the dealer fixed it (this is the 3rd time I have had issues with the front brakes -- first two was the pads needed to be replaced because of squealing)
I still haven't heard any ticking at all since upgrading the wheels. Maybe something was shifted in the process of removing the stock rims.
Old 07-09-13, 06:13 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which 4GS models have a limited-slip?

I hate hearing about these little annoying quality problems, whether they're CV joints or rotors. Blah.
Old 07-09-13, 07:15 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Which 4GS models have a limited-slip?

I hate hearing about these little annoying quality problems, whether they're CV joints or rotors. Blah.
No 4GS models have limited slip actually. They replicate the effect using the Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management as Lexus calls it. This press release covers all the little details:
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/lexus+allnew+2013+gs350+august2012.htm
Old 06-09-14, 04:56 PM
hypnotika
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but have we determined it's the rotors? I've had the ticking (or maybe just barely noticed) for some time now, especially evident when I'm backing out of my garage slowly with the windows down. I'm at 18K now...going to have it checked out at 20K.

Quick Reply: Strange ticking while turning slowly