Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Fourth Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

BRAND NEW GS350 MAKING A SOUND. Please help!

Old 06-29-12, 04:19 PM   #1
db3434
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default BRAND NEW GS350 MAKING A SOUND. Please help!

I have a month old 2013 GS350. I was driving down the street when it started making like a loud whistle sound! I pulled over and put the car in reverse and it did it again. I had my friend get out of the car to see if I was possibly dragging something while driving, but there was nothing under the car or around it. As I start to pull out and continue to drive down the street the sound had seem to stop, but was replaced with a slapping sound. The sound was as if there was a sticker or something stuck to the tire, but again there was nothing to be found. I got on my hands and knees to look under the car and put my hand all around all 4 tires to see if I felt something or happen to see anything. Anyone have any idea what this could possibly be?!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
db3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 09:35 PM   #2
matt2421
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by db3434 View Post
I have a month old 2013 GS350. I was driving down the street when it started making like a loud whistle sound! I pulled over and put the car in reverse and it did it again. I had my friend get out of the car to see if I was possibly dragging something while driving, but there was nothing under the car or around it. As I start to pull out and continue to drive down the street the sound had seem to stop, but was replaced with a slapping sound. The sound was as if there was a sticker or something stuck to the tire, but again there was nothing to be found. I got on my hands and knees to look under the car and put my hand all around all 4 tires to see if I felt something or happen to see anything. Anyone have any idea what this could possibly be?!
Hey man i'm not sure if this is what is going on...but i had something similar happen a little while ago. I had brand new michelins put on my ride and they were silent for the first 5k. Took my car into the dealership and they rotatated my tires and i started hearing a dull slapping sound. Turned out it was a piece of rubber on my tires that was slapping inside the wheel well. the excess rubber wasnt a problem on the rear but when rotated to the front started to hear the noise. the dealer took off the excess rubber and voila, G2G.
matt2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 01:11 AM   #3
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2421 View Post
Hey man i'm not sure if this is what is going on...but i had something similar happen a little while ago. I had brand new michelins put on my ride and they were silent for the first 5k. Took my car into the dealership and they rotatated my tires and i started hearing a dull slapping sound. Turned out it was a piece of rubber on my tires that was slapping inside the wheel well. the excess rubber wasnt a problem on the rear but when rotated to the front started to hear the noise. the dealer took off the excess rubber and voila, G2G.
Excess rubber? Sounds like a manufacturing defect and I'd demand a replacement tire and not be satisfied with someone "shaving" rubber off the tire. IMHO only
62 Austin Healey Sprite (sold), 64 Triumph TR-4 (sold), 68 Chevrolet Corvette 427 c.i. 435 h.p. (sold), 73 Chevy Nova SS-350 replaced with 427 cid big block (sold), 82 & 89 Porsche 928s (sold), 90 Taurus SHO (sold), 96 Fix Or Repair Daily Taurus (sold), 95 Lexus SC-400 (sold), 99 Corvette (sold), 02 Corvette Z-06 (sold), 04 Lexus SC-430 (sold), 06 Lexus GS-300AWD (sold), 09 Mazda CX-7 (sold), 08 Lexus IS-F MMR (sold), 11 Jeep Grand Cherokee (current), 13 GS-350 RR (current)
jkeifer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 11:33 AM   #4
jj14
Lead Lap

With the gap we have between the tires and the body, I'm not sure I understood how a piece of rubber on the tires would be slapping the wheel well - unless it was that large a piece?

"Took off the piece" - as jkeifer3 said - they better not have shaved it off the tire - that definitely sounds like a manufacturing defect.
jj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 01:24 PM   #5
db3434
Driver School Candidate

Drove it tonight and no sound at all. Weird. All I know is that its clearly under warranty so I'm not too worried about it if I comes back. Comes back, car goes back to lexus and they make it right
db3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 01:24 PM

Tags
2013, 350, brand, dragging, driving, gs, gs350, hearing, lexus, noise, rubber, slapping, sound, taurus, tires, whistling