ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Sound Made When Car Is In Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-19, 01:55 PM
MelC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound Made When Car Is In Reverse

I love my new 2019 ES300h however when in reverse, the "darth vader" type sound is disturbing! Is there anyway this can be disabled?
Old 05-04-19, 01:58 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...on-hybrid.html
Old 01-25-21, 08:59 AM
elm
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by MelC
I love my new 2019 ES300h however when in reverse, the "darth vader" type sound is disturbing! Is there anyway this can be disabled?
I just bought a new 2020 ux 250h sports and i have the same sound as yours in reverse and bit disappointed, my guess hopefully this is normal as i read the lexus club thread.
Old 02-03-21, 08:23 AM
clqw
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by elm
I just bought a new 2020 ux 250h sports and i have the same sound as yours in reverse and bit disappointed, my guess hopefully this is normal as i read the lexus club thread.
The noise is certainly excessive - it's the WORST in underground parking lot with the echoes in a surrounded space - so bad to the fact that it's actually embarrassing.
Old 02-03-21, 11:53 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by clqw
The noise is certainly excessive - it's the WORST in underground parking lot with the echoes in a surrounded space - so bad to the fact that it's actually embarrassing.
I agree 100%. It is VERY embarrassing. I had to explain to a neighbor that turned around and stared at my car as I backed out of our garage.
Old 02-03-21, 04:13 PM
clqw
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TechNut
I agree 100%. It is VERY embarrassing. I had to explain to a neighbor that turned around and stared at my car as I backed out of our garage.
I'm going to take a look when it gets warmer to see how I can muffle the sound, although it may bring legal trouble if I hit someone lol
Old 02-04-21, 08:12 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by clqw
I'm going to take a look when it gets warmer to see how I can muffle the sound, although it may bring legal trouble if I hit someone lol
Someone previously posted a fix. They removed the black plastic over the radiator so they could reach down to the noisemaker. They wrapped it in duct tape so that it could just barely be heard. They didn't want to disconnect it for fear of the vehicle reporting an error code - which certainly makes sense to me.

Just do a search on this subforum and you can find those posts. For example, if you look at posts #25 and 26 HERE, you can see what I am referring to.
Old 02-04-21, 08:59 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Just hope you don't hit someone who states that "I didnt hear them coming". You may be liable for disabling a safety device.
Lawyers just salivate at the thought.
The following users liked this post:
TechNut (02-05-21)
Old 02-04-21, 09:32 PM
clqw
Pit Crew

Yea, I read that post - although I think there might be a better way than ductape haha.
Old 02-05-21, 08:17 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bootman
Just hope you don't hit someone who states that "I didnt hear them coming". You may be liable for disabling a safety device.
Lawyers just salivate at the thought.
This is VERY true. One of the reasons I haven't touched mine yet - but certainly tempted... I guess we have to keep this in context and remember that this is a safety device for visually impaired citizens. I just wish they could have made it sound like a normal internal combustion engine running rather than a strangled cat.
Old 02-05-21, 06:03 PM
clqw
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TechNut
This is VERY true. One of the reasons I haven't touched mine yet - but certainly tempted... I guess we have to keep this in context and remember that this is a safety device for visually impaired citizens. I just wish they could have made it sound like a normal internal combustion engine running rather than a strangled cat.
Nobody should disable it, but reducing the volume and its high pitch noise I think is something that could be done. There are tons are cars out there that are electric powered, including my parents hybrid Camry, and none of those make such usually high pitch loud noise that seems like theres something wrong with the car.
Old 02-06-21, 11:56 AM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

It is so bad. It's loud and obnoxious. The sound itself is not very refined at all. It's louder than the actual engine when it kicks in, which makes no sense.
Old 03-26-21, 02:36 PM
SUEB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All... i just heard this reverse noise today; that is why I am here searching for a reason for the noise. How come it only started today? I have had the car since December?
Old 03-26-21, 04:47 PM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Lol you've always had it, you just didn't realize. It's under the hood latch and you can see it when you open the hood. It's a small round speaker. It only comes on when car is in motion low speed and engine is off.
Old 03-27-21, 08:02 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wait4Vtec
Lol you've always had it, you just didn't realize. It's under the hood latch and you can see it when you open the hood. It's a small round speaker. It only comes on when car is in motion low speed and engine is off.
Correct. I suspect you never heard it because your windows were up before, or you weren't standing outside the car while someone else was backing it up. Thankfully, it is silent inside the car as long as the windows are up but its like fingernails on a chalkboard if you are outside and hear it. Very annoying.

Quick Reply: Sound Made When Car Is In Reverse