GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Reading e-mails/text messages back

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-12, 06:42 PM
joehp1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reading e-mails/text messages back

FYI: Manual states the system will read incoming e-mails and that you can respond with preset messages. This function does not work! I contacted Lexus and they said they have contacted the manufacturer about the issue but provided no time frame for a fix.
Old 03-10-12, 07:53 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

let me know how this goes....I can't get mine to work either...
Old 03-12-12, 01:44 PM
MichaelLop
Driver School Candidate

This is only relevant to phones with a MAP as one of their bluetooth profiles. To check if you're phone is supported check out this website: http://lexus.com/bluetooth

also use the search feature to see any previous thread discussions concerning this issue.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ds-emails.html
Old 03-12-12, 03:07 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You must have the latest Blackberry 6.0 and activate the MAP features on the phone. For Androids they have MAP. Iphones DO NOT have MAP and didnt work with my BMW 5.
Old 03-12-12, 05:26 PM
joehp1
Rookie

MichaelLop...my phone IS compatible. I had previously checked prior to contacting Lexus. They said they were contacting the manufacturer, but did not have a timeframe.

That thread (which I did a search on) did NOT mention there was a problem...I am bringing this to everyone's attention.

Is this feature (reading e-mails) working for anyone?
Old 03-12-12, 06:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

... and this is why i don't want a car with that much software in it. car makers just aren't geared for FAST updates / releases which must come over the air in time.
Old 03-12-12, 07:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
... and this is why i don't want a car with that much software in it. car makers just aren't geared for FAST updates / releases which must come over the air in time.
it is probably impossible to get full compatibility with gazillion phones on the market, but at least you know with Toyota/Lexus, if it doesnt work, you will still be able to turn on your car :-).

As to the updates, Harmann just announced new apps and updates for European Touch and Go at Geneva, and system was released only 4 months ago, so I dont think updates will be a problem.
Old 03-13-12, 11:37 AM
MichaelLop
Driver School Candidate

I have gotten it to work with a blackberry curve and 2 different galaxy s II's
Old 01-09-13, 09:31 AM
wayner
Rookie

Anyone know how to turn on MAP in a Blackberry Bold 9900 which is running Blackberry OS 7.1? When I google MAP I come up empty as it is all about mapping applications. What does MAP stand for? Something like Messaging Application Protocol?
Old 01-09-13, 09:38 AM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayner
Anyone know how to turn on MAP in a Blackberry Bold 9900 which is running Blackberry OS 7.1? When I google MAP I come up empty as it is all about mapping applications. What does MAP stand for? Something like Messaging Application Protocol?
Bluetooth "Message Access Profile"
Old 01-09-13, 09:52 AM
wayner
Rookie

OK, when I go into this on the Blackberry via Bluetoot Connections, I click on CAR MULTIMEDIA, press the menu key and select MAP options. Everything that can be is turned on. I am doing this from my desk so the phone is not connected.

And for some reason I have two listings for CAR MULTIMEDIA under paired devices. But that could be one for each of my cars, the 2013 GS350 and the 2013 RX450h.
Old 01-09-13, 11:16 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
You must have the latest Blackberry 6.0 and activate the MAP features on the phone. For Androids they have MAP. Iphones DO NOT have MAP and didnt work with my BMW 5.
iOS devices now support partial MAP functionality.
Old 01-09-13, 11:20 AM
wayner
Rookie

That info on Blackberry is somewhat incorrect as Blackberry OS 7 is the latest release and was last March (when Rexus300 posted the info) since RIM is taking so long to get their new phones released.

Does anyone have this working with a Blackberry? Ideally a Blackberry Bold 9900? I have to think that there are still a lot of Lexus owners with Blackberries as they are still very popular in the corporate world.
Old 01-16-13, 10:53 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
iOS devices now support partial MAP functionality.
Yeah, except iOS 6.0.2 seems to have disabled that. I used to have my text messages pop up with the ability for the lady to read them to me, never being able to respond. However, now I get no notifications at all of text messages through the car system.

I'm still trying to decide if this is good or bad. I keep my phone in my pocket at all times with the ringer off. So I never know while I'm driving if I get emails/texts...which is very safe. However I liked that the car would read me the messages if I received one while driving. This got very annoying though when I would get a bunch all at once though. First world problems.
Old 01-16-13, 09:59 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

reply functionality is expected to return with iOS 6.1 this spring

Quick Reply: Reading e-mails/text messages back