GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Really concerned. ..

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 05:58 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really concerned. ..

I got a new instrument cluster, however the tach and speedometer won't function. Here's the kicker. My stock set died, sort of. Most of the lights died in it so I changed them, after my rebuild over drive won't engage (light won't turn on either). The lights along the bottom from the OD off light to the left, to the CEL don't function. Could the grounding screws that are on the circuit board have a problem with this. ??

Also with the new instruments I've got a reoccurring CEL. I'm wondering if I had the CEL on my old gauges just the check engine light wasn't functioning. I've cleared it twice.

Another question. Does anyone on here know how to rebuild these and confirm they work? Rebuilt ones on ebay are like $250, way to much! I got the LEDs to work on my stock cluster until I discovered my OD won't work so I switched to the non functioning set to have OD. It entirely works just not the tach and speedometer.
Old 04-19-14, 06:14 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by houndawgbp
I got a new instrument cluster, however the tach and speedometer won't function. Here's the kicker. My stock set died, sort of. Most of the lights died in it so I changed them, after my rebuild over drive won't engage (light won't turn on either). The lights along the bottom from the OD off light to the left, to the CEL don't function. Could the grounding screws that are on the circuit board have a problem with this. ??

Also with the new instruments I've got a reoccurring CEL. I'm wondering if I had the CEL on my old gauges just the check engine light wasn't functioning. I've cleared it twice.

Another question. Does anyone on here know how to rebuild these and confirm they work? Rebuilt ones on ebay are like $250, way to much! I got the LEDs to work on my stock cluster until I discovered my OD won't work so I switched to the non functioning set to have OD. It entirely works just not the tach and speedometer.
All of those issue sound like a ground problem or something is simply not connected. What code do you get when the CEL is on? Where did you get the new gauge cluster and who rebuilt it?
Old 04-19-14, 06:22 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII

All of those issue sound like a ground problem or something is simply not connected. What code do you get when the CEL is on? Where did you get the new gauge cluster and who rebuilt it?
You think it's the grounding screws? Nixspeed said to put some diode grease or something like that on it to assist it to ground. I get a cam sensor code. I got it off eBay. Dude won't do a partial refund only full and I need it to drive the car so the OD will work.
Old 05-18-14, 11:15 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Forgot to update this. The RPM and speedometer was gone. Gauges look awesome now :-)
Old 05-20-14, 05:40 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Did you fix all the lights etc? No one told me led are polarity specific so I kept swapping mine thinking I had bad bulbs. None of them are marked +/- or anything.
Old 05-21-14, 03:52 AM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Oh yeah. Looks awesome. I need to fix my light behind the 50 and 80 mph mark. Lol that's it though. Love it. Looks much better
Old 05-21-14, 08:51 AM
ClarkKent
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love it. Looks much better
I'm so jealous... Can you tell us exactly where you got the bulbs? Size? Cost?

I've got a bad Tach needle and the others are periodically dim in places. I was thinking about buying a set of needles on ebay..
OR...
sending the entire unit to lextech to get fixed up. It's my DD and I don't want to drive it without a head unit installed. I've read that it could cause abs or other check lights to mysteriously light up.

Congrats!
Old 05-21-14, 03:00 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...338051&alt=web

Don't go lextech. They never replied so I saw that as bad service. I unplugged my ABS light after I accidentally tripped it on trouble shooting.

Take a full day to familiarize yourself with it. Get some diode grease aka bulb grease from advance auto or any auto parts store and put it around the grounding screws.

It's trial and error doing it. Take it out. Take it apart. Reinstall it. I can do it in under 30 minutes now.
Old 05-25-14, 04:06 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Final product

Really concerned. ..-forumrunner_20140525_190542.png