GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

EFI fuse constantly melting

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-09, 04:18 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI fuse constantly melting

Ok some might remember when i asked for help with my car and found out it was just the EFI fuse. well since then its been constantly melting that fuse. i had 2 check engine codes, one for speedo sensor, which i knew about cuz my speedometer doesnt show my speed lol. and the second was for a bad O2. so with the help of vindedreal we...well more like he changed the bad O2 with a good one

But that didnt fix the problem. the EFI fuse is still melting. its not popping or simply blowing. its completely melting, and the melting starts from one side of the fuse only. i really dont know what it could be. its a 20 fuse, i put a 30 fuse one time when it died on me and i didnt have a 20 at hand and it ran crappy. if i put a 25 would that help temporarily until i could get it to a shop? but before i take it to a shop, anyone know what it could be? its a 2jzgte swapped gs btw.

Any help is appreciated cuz i cant even drive the thing anymore
Old 08-04-09, 07:27 PM
vindedreal
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey yusef, reset the ecu and check the codes again, I just want to make sure the 02 is still good.
Old 08-04-09, 09:11 PM
moejz
Pole Position

You have a short circuit somewhere in the harness or under the fusebox. remove the battery and then remove the fusebox and take a good look. It could could be grounding somewhere where the wire has become frayed or something.
Another place to check would be near the ignitor.

Take a self lighting continuity tester and probe the efi wires near the fusebox connector and the other end to a ground. if you have continuity, you have a short circuit. Make sure the battery is out of the car.

Last edited by moejz; 08-04-09 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-07-09, 12:52 AM
yusef
Lexus Champion

I checked the codes again the O2 code is gone.

and yea i got short but i cant find the damn thing. now ok, the plastic around the fuse melts off, but the metal obviously doesnt, and doesnt break the fuse. could i drive like that, or will it damage the fuel injectors eventually? lol stupid question but i really need to drive this car a good 30 min to a shop so i was wondering if that would mess it up.
Old 08-07-09, 07:19 AM
moejz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yusef
I checked the codes again the O2 code is gone.

and yea i got short but i cant find the damn thing. now ok, the plastic around the fuse melts off, but the metal obviously doesnt, and doesnt break the fuse. could i drive like that, or will it damage the fuel injectors eventually? lol stupid question but i really need to drive this car a good 30 min to a shop so i was wondering if that would mess it up.
Yusef,
Its best to have the car towed to the shop if you can. If the plastic around the fuse is melting, then its a pretty serious shortbecause that is telling you that there is a lot of heat being created. Just think, if the hard plastic around the fuses are melting, what could happen to the wire insulation, which is not even that thick. ??
The only reason the fuse has not blown is probably its higher rated and in reality not really protecting your circuit from overload, but rather is setting it up for a fire or similar damage. Im just throwing this caution because engine wire harness fires can spread real quick.
Moe
Old 08-07-09, 01:17 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

^^ hmm yea i agree. but i really cant afford to tow it, but towing would be cheaper then a potential fire. but im so broke that im just going to have to try to drive it.

Thanks moejz
Old 08-07-09, 03:35 PM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

DO NOT DRIVE IT!!!! Once that plastic melts and becomes brittle enough it WILL catch fire. You seriously need to track down the short prior to driving it or have it towed. It sucks being broke but it will suck even worse to lose your car. Penny wise, dollar foolish.