GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Adjustable cam gears...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-06, 03:20 PM
7Cain
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable cam gears...

Anyone here with adjustable cam gears, and did you cut the cover? I love the look of those cam gears in the front of the motor, I am just wondering if anyone has had any mis-haps with either the install or with the cover being trimmed (ie. who's had a twig get caught in the timing belt?! ) If you can, post a pic. I'll soon be undergoing this task.
Old 03-16-06, 04:09 PM
DBaristo
Driver

Be very carefull with the older HKS ones. They wear out very fast and can cause cam belt failure. They have very little actual use unless you are running ridiculous power but I won't rain on that parade any more. I had mine open to air for 2 years with no mishaps (they were on the car when i got it) If you can get them the steel JUN ones are recognised as being the best.
Old 03-16-06, 05:21 PM
7Cain
Driver

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I'll push those off to the backburner for now. By the way, do you think "adjustability" is over rated? Would steel be best or could you use 6061 aluminum, or even titanium machined to stock tolerances?
Old 03-16-06, 05:38 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Unless you are changing cam profiles, Toyota has the timing set really well.
Old 03-16-06, 07:05 PM
Caius
Pole Position

Now I'm more familiar with Honda engines than I am with Toyotas, but so far as I know there is always a gain by adjusting cam timing even on the stock cam profiles. When Intake and exhaust (header included preferably) are added there is an opportunity to gain a little more power....admittedly it is predominantly moving the power band, but regardless it is yet another way to tune the engine....mind you it usually requires Dynomometer time, but is worthwhile.....not as worthwhile as it is with aftermarket cams, or forced induction. Just my .02 though.
Old 03-16-06, 07:11 PM
7Cain
Driver

Well, I have access to the machining world, some things are a hassle to do but I think some cam gears should be relatively easy once the programming is done. Working on an ultra-light crank pully for tiburon right now going off the stock unit. I would only be able to copy exact tolerances, I can add cool holes and stuff to lighten it and give it my own look but the basic functions have to be exact. Maybe I could make them out of Hasteloid C!! might be too expensive though, I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 03-17-06, 10:15 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a lot of tuning on my 93 GS300 to try and get every last bit of available hp out of it. Using adjustable cam gears I was able to get a minumum of 8hp/8tq out of it across the whole range, and in the low end (along with increasing ignition timing) it reached 12-13 more hp/tq in some areas. I was running base ignition timing of 12*. Responsiveness to throttle was definitely improved. I had the gears exposed, and even drifting off course a few times the debris never affected it.

Unfortunately, I have the HKS gears, and they are disintegrating so I'm pulling them off soon. I'll be running the Titan motorsports or Unorthodox Racing gears on my new rebuilt 2jzgte.
Old 03-17-06, 03:33 PM
7Cain
Driver

Thanks Epik, that's what I wanted to hear. It's not a top priority at the moment but it's going on the list of things to buy next month. The list keeps growing and growing,...... luckily that tax return check came in.
Old 03-20-06, 03:51 PM
DBaristo
Driver

Not sure what gains are available on the N/A engine but the TT engine produces **** squat all with adjustable gears. The ECU is too intelligent and adjusting the timing on the gears doesn't really do alot. JUN used to do a set of steel gears for the gte engine. To be fair the new HKS gears seem to be holding up now. I'd look at the cams first though for real appreciable grunt.
Old 03-20-06, 07:19 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

DB.. I just swapped my JDM Aristo auto cams to USDM 6 speed cams and noticed an obvious difference. I saw the specs on SF.. if I can remember them off the top of my head, JDM cams are like 223* duration and USDM are about 230*.. the main difference is the lift of I think 7.8mm to 8.4mm. Not much, but a cheap increase till I can pick up some HKS cams.

On another note, I removed my HKS gears today and installed the stock gears. I'll do some other aftermarket gears after a while, but the HKS were too degraded on the teeth to keep them in place.
Old 03-21-06, 01:33 PM
DBaristo
Driver

There ya go confirmation if you need it of the HKS cam gears (old ones) the USDM cams I assume are the same ones as the UK spec supra cams which have a higher lift and different duration. The HKS 264 cams were resposible for most of the power gains up to 474 bhp my supe had so well worth the money to buy IMHO.
Old 03-21-06, 10:16 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Hmm.. I thought I saw pics of your Supra and it was a NA? Dude.. you have too many cars..LOL

Lovin the brandywine Aristo pics, BTW.
Old 03-22-06, 02:36 PM
7Cain
Driver

Hey, thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it. I have a new thread with a new question, I would appreciate your help in that area as well.

Maximum Respect,
7Cain
Old 03-22-06, 02:43 PM
DBaristo
Driver

I did have an N/A supe a long time a go. I sold that and bought the Highly modded TT supe that I kept for a year. I swapped that out for the green aristo TT which I have swapped out for the white aristo TT. Now I want the purple aristo TT so even before it arrives off the boat I am selling the white one. I never allow myself to be cornered into a sale so I buy my new car before I sell my current car.